Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers replace string in multiple files Post 302567085 by jayan_jay on Saturday 22nd of October 2011 06:35:47 AM
Old 10-22-2011
Code:
$ for i in *.txt ;do nawk '/tuesday/ {sub(/tuesday/, "friday")};1' $i > ${i}_tmp ; mv ${i}_tmp $i; done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace a string in multiple textfiles?

Hello I'm trying to replace a string in multiple text files using the tcsh shell. For example I've got some files called test1 test2 test3 etc. Each of them contains "Hello World". Now I want to replace each "Hello" with "Howdy" using sed and a foreach loop. I tried the following but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwidmer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace string in multiple files, dir and subdir

Hello, I have a directory www with multiple directories. Every directory has site name with .htm, .html, .php files or sub directories with .htm, .php, .html file as example - www - sitename 1 - site 1 - sitename 2 - sitename 3 What I'm looking for is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyjill
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search and replace in multiple files.

Hello. I have five config files in /etc that I want to edit in one click for testing. I would like to make a script like this : #!/bin/bash # a_file="/etc/file_1" src_str="src_string_1" rpl_str="rpl_string_1" calling_sed_or_awk_or_whatelse $a_file search_for_all $src_str replace_with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wanted to replace string in an .xlsx file in multiple ZIP Files

Hi , I am having a ZIP file containing an .xlsx file . Now i wanted to replace "GJ" to blank in the .xlsx file . I tried using the below code but not working , Please guide : #!/bin/bash log="/home/srikant/scripts/replacescriptFHO.log" date > $log echo "" >> $log echo initiating for FHO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipinmaster
1 Replies
ucblinks(1B)                                         SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands                                         ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)