Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all others Post 302566996 by Shiny_Roy on Friday 21st of October 2011 04:08:50 PM
Old 10-21-2011
Its working Smilie Thank you sooooo Much Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert header row into .xls

Hello, I am building an .xls file extracting info from a DB to be eventually emailed. All is good except how do I put in a header row.. like date, name of report etc. before the columns with the actual column name and data? Thanks for any assistance.. the below is after I have signed into... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tish
11 Replies

2. Linux

Reading the header of a tar file(posix header)

say i have these many file in a directory named exam. 1)/exam/newfolder/link.txt. 2)/exam/newfolder1/ and i create a tar say exam.tar well the problem is, when i read the tar file i dont find any metadata about the directories,as you cannot create a tar containig empty directories. on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanvirk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge text files while combining the multiple header/trailer records into one each.

Situation: Our system currently executes a job (COBOL Program) that generates an interface file to be sent to one of our vendors. Because this system processes information for over 100,000 employees/retirees (and growing), we'd like to multi-thread the job into processing-groups in order to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oordonez
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

split header row into one column

So, I have a massive file with thousands of columns I want a list of the headers in one column in another file. So I need to strip off the top line (can use head-1) But how can I convert from this format: A B C D E F G to A B C D E F G (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: polly_falconer
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl array with row header

Here is the csv file file i have: ServerName, IPAddress, Gateway, Notes ServerA, 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.1, This is some server ServerB, 192.168.1.110, 192.168.1.1, This is some other server ServerC, 192.168.1.120, 192.168.1.1, This is some other other server I would like to have the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge Files into Single with Header

Hi All, I am trying to merge all files in a directory that end in *.txt to a single file with the contents one after the other. This I can do using the cat function but how do I put the name of the file as a header for each one in the combined single file and seperate the contents from each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcg
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add column header and row header

Hi, I have an input like this 1 2 3 4 2 3 4 5 4 5 6 7 I would like to count the no. of columns and print a header with a prefix "Col". I would also like to count the no. of rows and print as first column with each line number with a prefix "Row" So, my output would be ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a column with a value by ignoring the header lines

i have a file in the gz format , the content of the file is as follow. gzcat f1.gz # 1.name # 2.location # 3.age # 4.dob . . . . . . . . . # 43.hobbies < Aravind,33,chennai,09091980, , , , , , , surfing> (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple files with common header

Hi all, Say i have multiple files x1 x2 x3 x4, all with common header (date, time, year, age),, How can I merge them to one singe file "X" in shell scripting Thanks for your suggestions. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarguru
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies
sortm(1mh)																sortm(1mh)

Name
       sortm - sort messages

Syntax
       sortm [ msgs ] [ +folder ] [ options ]

Description
       The command sorts all the messages in the current folder into chronological order according to the contents of the Date: fields of the mes-
       sages.

By default, sorts all the messages in the current folder.  You can select particular messages in the folder by giving a range of  messages.
       You can also sort messages in another folder by specifying the folder name.

If  encounters  a  message without a Date: field, or if the message has a Date: field that cannot parse, it attempts to keep the message in
       the same relative position.  However, this does not always work; for instance, if the first message encountered lacks a date which  can	be
       parsed, then it will usually be placed at the end of the messages being sorted.

When complains about a message which it cannot order, it complains about the message number prior to sorting.

Options
       -datefield field
		 Specifies the name of the header field to use when making the date comparison.  If you have a special field in each message, such
		 as Delivery-Date:, then the -datefield switch can be used to tell which field to examine.  If you do not give	this  option,  the
		 default is to use the Date: header field.

-help	 Prints a list of all the valid options to this command.

-verbose
       -noverbose
		 Displays the general actions that it is taking to place the folder in sorted order.  The -noverbose option performs these actions
		 silently.  The default is -noverbose.

The default settings for this command are:

+folder defaults to the current folder
	      msgs defaults to all
	      -datefield date
	      -noverbose

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine your MH directory

Examples
       The following example sorts all the messages in the folder
       % sortm +meetings

The next example sorts messages 10-30 in the folder called