Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers fix the if and then error in bash Post 302566537 by snow2462 on Thursday 20th of October 2011 02:24:27 PM
Old 10-20-2011
fix the if and then error in bash

For anyone have work in bash shell scripting before know the if and then statement
it work like this
if (condition); then

I have create a mini shell in C, and I want to make it a bit more tolerable than the normal bash shell where you do not need the ';' between if and then if they are in the same line so it will work like this
if(condition) then
And when the user write shell script x = 7 it will be the same with x=7. I have worked with shell scripting before and it drove me crazy where i miss a space.
Does anyone at least have the bash script so i can look at for some reference because i am kind of stuck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Patching error on Solaris 2.6 - I know the 'fix' - do you?

Patching a Solaris 2.6 server (running application that wasn't approved for anything higher) in single user mode - loading about 120 patches. Following error started occurring after patch 105356-23 /kernel//kernel/strmod/ptem: undefined symbol miocpullup ptem error doing common Actual... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RTM
0 Replies

2. Solaris

How to fix df: cannot statvfs error

I have a Sun Sparc machine with Solaris 9 on it. I changed one file system (also mount point) name from /home to /u01. Then I updated /etc/vfstab. After that, I did df -k, system told me that df: cannot statvfs /home: No such file or directory/. Please tell me how and where to fix this error?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to fix :[too many arguments error in code

I am getting a :; then echo "Enter zero or one file" echo "You must use a valid directory" echo "Current directory is:" pwd exit 0 fi #Flag Variable flag=1 #Code for no arguments if ; then for filename in * do if ; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brewer27
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Emergency !! Need to fix this error!

Pls help me with the below script. Its returning an error No such file or Directory. #!/bin/ksh cd /enip/enipapp/cbp/AOC2511201 for file in `cat filename.txt | head -1 | tr -d '\r'` do for i in `cat '$file' | tr -d '\r'` do echo "-----script start `date`... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naga06
9 Replies

5. AIX

I am getting the following error when I do an errpt. What do I need to do to fix it.

Hi Team, I am getting the following error when I do an errpt. What do I need to do to fix it. LABEL: LVM_SA_STALEPP IDENTIFIER: EAA3D429 Date/Time: Sat 12 Jan 01:10:56 2013 Sequence Number: 880 Machine Id: 00C57B904C00 Node Id: spg-lplaw-01... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranjithm
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Fix script error (%%n)

Hi, I'm currently tinkering with a script that uses the for command to process all *.gif files in the current folder. I marked the spot where it exits out with an error by adding a "pause" The error message given is: convert.exe: unable to open image `%x': No such file or directory @... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me please to fix my error

Can you help me to fix my error please?! I checked the code and I think there is no mistake, but when I run it gives me error such line 1: /Users/Manu/trials/hosts: is a directory sort: open failed: /Users/Manu/trials/hosts/*: No such file or directory Help me please... mycode NAME value.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manu1234567
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Data error need to fix

Hi Guys, I`m having a strange problem with my data set. Whenever there is a transition to another value is col1, the corresponding 3rd col goes to the next line. This is a huge file, so need to fix in a script. The file is tab delimited. Here is what is happening when transitioning from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gina.lizar
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

Help needed HP UX 11.11i new install on C8000 Desktop messaging system error CAN'T FIX

Hi, I have a HP UX C8000 box , have installed 11.11i from 4 x cds numerous times to try to get a functioning Network or to try and get rid of this error on start up, after new install and 1st startup I get an error "The desktop messaging system could not be started" and then advice about... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: C8000
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need fix for rsync Error due to version mismatch

rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh='/usr/bin/ssh -t -a -x' /web/admin/Transfer/data/ user1@destserver1:/tmp/testf rsync version on sender server is:3.0.9 rsync version on sender server is:3.0.6 Linux sourceserver1 3.10.0-693.17.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Jan 14 10:36:03 EST... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)