Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with Inodes please
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help with Inodes please Post 302566516 by Corona688 on Thursday 20th of October 2011 01:28:38 PM
Old 10-20-2011
What is your intention here? If you need this to actually get stored on disk you'll need to change a lot more than a structure.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

INodes...

Could someone please explain to me the concept of INodes? Colour me a DOS/MacOS junkie, but I don't quite understand. Is there any relation to clusters, or physical distro.? ty. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boris888
3 Replies

2. Solaris

inodes???

Does anyone know what command I can run to check how many inodes are in use on a specific filesystem. On Data General servers I used to run the df -k command to check the status of the inodes for all file system.s (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soliberus
1 Replies

3. Solaris

inodes

hi i need to find all the files that r linked to the current file as i need to delete the file as well as few of its links :confused: thnx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: livemyway
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inodes

how is the location of inodes in the physical disk. are they sequential like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|inode2| ....| datablock1|datablock2|datablock3 or are they distributed among data blocks like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|datablock1|inode2|datablock2|datablock3|inode3 |datablock4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
3 Replies

5. Linux

Inodes

Any good sites, tutorials that explain Inodes clearly and completely ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin09
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Number of used inodes..?

Hello Experts How can i know Number of used and free inodes in a file system? thanx in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Increasing inodes

Hi , Can someone help me to increase "inode" in solaris 9? Thanks in advance, Gowtham (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
8 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

inodes

Hi, sorry to have written in other language i think i could do that. I would to know A file system use inodes indexed allocation as a method of allocating space. In the inode blocks are 10 references to direct, 1 indirect reference to a single block, 1 block indirect reference to a reference to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maryprin
1 Replies

9. Solaris

/var: out of inodes

Dear Forum, Please help me i have SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 with sun solaris 8,if i check inode in /var like below: # df -F ufs -o i Filesystem iused ifree %iused Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 62354 310638 17% / /dev/md/dsk/d3 372992 0 100% /var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredginting
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum inodes

Hi, Is there a restriction in the number of inodes a particular directory can have in Solaris. If so how can we determine that. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: @bhi
3 Replies
getdiskbyname(3)					     Library Functions Manual						  getdiskbyname(3)

NAME
getdiskbyname, getdiskbyname_r - Get the disk description using a disk name LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/disklabel.h> #include <sys/types.h> struct disklabel *getdiskbyname( char *name); int getdiskbyname_r( char *name, struct disklabel *disk, char *boot, int boot_len); PARAMETERS
Specifies a common name for the disk drive whose geometry and partition characteristics are sought. Points to the structure that will con- tain the returned disk description. Points to the buffer that will contain the optional names of the primary and secondary bootstraps. Specifies the length of boot. This should be BUFSIZ. DESCRIPTION
Operations supported by the getdiskbyname function are also supported by the createlabel function. See The getdiskbyname and getdiskby- name_r functions are supported only for backward compatibility with DIGITAL UNIX Version 4.0 and earlier versions. These functions will be retired in a future release of Tru64 UNIX. The getdiskbyname() function uses a disk (disk drive) name to return a pointer to a structure that describes the geometry and standard par- tition characteristics of the named disk drive. Information obtained from the /etc/disktab database file is written to the type disklabel structure space referenced by the returned pointer. The getdiskbyname_r() function is the reentrant version of getdiskbyname(). Upon successful completion, getdiskbyname_r() returns a value of 0 (zero); the returned structure is pointed at by disk. Upon error, it returns a value of -1, and may set errno to [EINVAL]. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the getdiskbyname() function, returns a pointer to a type disklabel structure. ERRORS
Either disk or boot is NULL, or boot_len is not equal to BUFSIZ. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: createlabel(3) Files: disklabel(4), disktab(4) Commands: disklabel(8) delim off getdiskbyname(3)