Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multi tape option in tar cmd
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat multi tape option in tar cmd Post 302566443 by galanom on Thursday 20th of October 2011 11:09:17 AM
Old 10-20-2011
Haven't thought of using dd to tell the truth.
But that's really tough to understand.

Can I propose
Code:
dd if=bigfile of=/dev/tape bs=600GB count=1 skip=0

and increase skip by one each iteration...

While restore:

Code:
dd if=/dev/tape of=restore bs=600GB count=1 seek=0

and increase seek by one

Of course instead of bs=600GB you can simply bs=1MB but then seek or skip will be by n*600000
This User Gave Thanks to galanom For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar to tape and back

Howdy, I'm trying to tar some directories to tape and then extract them from tape on another machine. I was hoping someone could help me with the syntax of the tar commands. Both machines are running Solaris 8. Need to get all files and directories under the following: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmetal
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar command with compress option...

Hi ! i have to write a script that archivs homes not used since 3 years. First, my script gathers the users that are concerned, using the following command : ll -lt /home/*/.sh_history | egrep '2000|1999|1998|1997' | awk '{print $3}' i obtain a list like this : user_1 user_2 ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there nobody who's sucessfully used tar -G option???

Has anyone you know ever used the -G --incremental option successfully with the tar command? I'm not talking about the little -g --listed-incremental option. I don't want incremental backups. Just one differential backup which is what the -G is for. The -G command is supposed to make a single... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: protienplant
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar: unable to specify archive name with -p option

Hi, When I use -p option(preserve permissions) while creating tar archives, it throws error and creates archive in the name of 'p'. But without -p option I am able to create archive name as I mentioned. how do I work it out with --preserve-permissions? Any help is much appreciated. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar cmd how many arguments into parameters of filenames

Hi I would like to use tar cmd in my script. I have a variable with filenames, e.g. 1000 records and I would like to paste its values into tar cmd. For this example I used three elements variable strings. strings="file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt" `tar cf file1.tar $strings` Whether... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Multi OS option

Hi, We will purchase redhat enterprise WS. We want to use Windows and Redhat in same machine. For this purpose , should we buy Redhat with Multi OS option? Or Is it just for virtualization..? (I couldnt be sure) Regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: titanic
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multi-Volume tar archives. [solved]

Hi, The only off-line storage medium I have is DVD. I am trying to back up around 10G of data and if I can achieve a practical solution I will use it more generally. I am currently considering something along the lines of: tar --create --multi-volume --tape-length=nnnn <pathspec> |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeGM
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cmd find: exclude directory when using option -depth

hello, i want to use "-depth" in command "find" and want to exclude a directory. the find command should work in HP-UX and Linux. i see in the find man page: -prune If -depth is not given, true; do not descend the current directory. If -depth is given, false; no effect. -depth... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tar cmd for directories

Hi, I'm working on HP-UX B.11.23 64bit. I tried to tar couple of directories but failed to do so. $ tar -cvf tar_file_name -C /dir1 /dir2 the -C is for directories as mentioned in the man pages. But still unable to create a tar file having directories and sub-directories. Requesting help in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
1 Replies
tcopy(1)							   User Commands							  tcopy(1)

NAME
tcopy - copy a magnetic tape SYNOPSIS
tcopy source [destination] DESCRIPTION
The tcopy utility copies the magnetic tape mounted on the tape drive specified by the source argument. The only assumption made about the contents of a tape is that there are two tape marks at the end. When only a source drive is specified, tcopy scans the tape, and displays information about the sizes of records and tape files. If a des- tination is specified, tcopy makes a copies the source tape onto the destination tape, with blocking preserved. As it copies, tcopy pro- duces the same output as it does when only scanning a tape. The tcopy utility requires the use of Berkeley-compatible device names. For example, example% tcopy /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/2b ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mt(1), ioctl(2), attributes(5) NOTES
tcopy will only run on systems supporting an associated set of ioctl(2) requests. SunOS 5.10 10 Mar 2000 tcopy(1)