Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mkfile -n question
Operating Systems Solaris mkfile -n question Post 302566401 by Mack1982 on Thursday 20th of October 2011 09:46:45 AM
Old 10-20-2011
mkfile -n question

Hi,

I made an ldom with 160 GB of disk space (makefile -n 160g ldg1). Inside the ldom I have a slice, say /mount1 of size 30G. Assuming that I keep the /mount1 unmounted, i-e, it will never be used, is it safe to say that the file ldg1 will never grow past 130G?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Well, im getting it, but i have ONE question

Hay everyone, i would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who helped me make the decision to get a linux distro. As a newbie, Im defininately considering buying Mandrake Linux... I went to the site and phew..... 2300 applications, i think ill have a good time. But i do have a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LolapaloL
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Next Question:

what is the function of swap in linux why i have to create apsolutely a particion for the swap when i install (i installed lnx4win mandrake and made an automat. disk particion and the install program one of my disk partitions that was 3gb devidet in 4 one native 700mb swap 600mb and the others i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user666
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

another question?

what happens if the script doesn't get Y,y,N, or n? Will it just loop back up and ask the question again? I tried to get mine to give me another response to tell me my input was invalid, but ran into problems with it. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question?

Is there any way to use sed and count the number of alphabetic characters in a sentence? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brentdeback
4 Replies

5. AIX

OS Question

What AIX version I need to run a software in a R6000 model 6015/6020 in a IBM P5??? Im implementing a Hot SIte. Is this possible or I need identical systems hardware and software? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IBravo
1 Replies

6. Programming

C++ little question

Hi, I am doing a C++ self-study and I got stuck with this problem. I want to have a code that asks the suer to enter two numbers and then it lists the numbers between these two numbers. It has also to print a message if these two numbers are equal. Here is what I wrote: #include <iostream>... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
11 Replies

7. Solaris

Why mkfile decreases available memory?

Hi, we are experiencing very odd behavior. After "mkfile 1g <somefile>" the available memory seen through vmstat memory free column decreases by the same ammount. It doesn't matter where the <somefile> is located, even when the file is on NAS, the available memory decreases. When the file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jan_bar
2 Replies
mkfile(1M)                                                                                                                              mkfile(1M)

NAME
mkfile - create a file SYNOPSIS
mkfile [-nv] size [g | k | b | m] filename... mkfile creates one or more files that are suitable for use as NFS-mounted swap areas, or as local swap areas. When a root user executes mkfile(), the sticky bit is set and the file is padded with zeros by default. When non-root users execute mkfile(), they must manually set the sticky bit using chmod(1). The default size is in bytes, but it can be flagged as gigabytes, kilobytes, blocks, or megabytes, with the g, k, b, or m suffixes, respectively. -n Create an empty filename. The size is noted, but disk blocks are not allocated until data is written to them. Files created with this option cannot be swapped over local UFS mounts. -v Verbose. Report the names and sizes of created files. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mkfile when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ chmod(1), swap(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) 2 Feb 2001 mkfile(1M)