Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Setup a cron job and specified the start and end time Post 302566212 by agama on Wednesday 19th of October 2011 09:12:22 PM
Old 10-19-2011
You wouldn't need to change the script, add a new one that invokes the one you were going to start from cron. If you cannot add a new script, then you'll end up with two entries in the crontab.

Code:
40-59/3 18 * * * /path/to/script >>/tmp/script.log 2>&1
*/3 19-23 * * * /path/to/script >>/tmp/script.log 2>&1

Note that some versions of cron do not support */3 notation.

Last edited by agama; 10-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: simplification and typo correction
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job at system start up

I want to know if there is a way to make a certain set of programs start in order at system startup with cron or something else i dont know about. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cron does not start the need job

Hi, can you please help me with one problem? There is some server, there are a lot of AIX applications which run on this server under different UserIDs. These applications starts via crontab. From time to time some application doesn't start. What can this "not-action" be dependent on? At... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anta
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setup Cron Job

Hello, I would like setup a CRON job to rename my server's name (host name) every day. For some reason it changes its own name every couple days to server-2.local fron server.local. Thank you! -Chris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: christo16
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start time/end time and status of crontab job

Is there anyway to get the start time and end time / status of a crontab job which was just completed? Of course, we know the start time of the crontab job since we are scheduling. But I would like to know process start and time recorded somewhere or can be fetched from a command like 'ps'. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How to setup a cron job to run every 45 minutes in Solaris 5.10

How to setup a cron job to run every 45 minutes in Solaris 5.10 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: reyazan
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

setup cron job

HI I am new to unix . I wanted to create a cron job that runs a script every 10 min .So when I enter vi /etc/crontab I get the following output SHELL=/bin/bash PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin MAILTO=root HOME=/ # run-parts 01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly 02 4 * *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

How to end script in a cron job?

I've created a script to copy backup files from an HP-UX 11iv3 system to an NFS share on another machine. I want to schedule the script to run via cron. The script is simply three lines of cp /backups/Backup /shared/Backup. I've saved the script as a .sh file and call it with KSH. Do I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jduehmig
3 Replies
PERIODIC(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       PERIODIC(8)

NAME
periodic -- run periodic system functions SYNOPSIS
periodic directory ... DESCRIPTION
The periodic utility is intended to be called by cron(8) to execute shell scripts located in the specified directory. One or more of the following arguments must be specified: daily Perform the standard daily periodic executable run. This usually occurs early in the morning (local time). weekly Perform the standard weekly periodic executable run. This usually occurs very early on Saturday mornings. monthly Perform the standard monthly periodic executable run. This usually occurs on the first day of the month. security Perform the standard daily security checks. This is usually spawned by the daily run. path An arbitrary directory containing a set of executables to be run. If an argument is an absolute directory name it is used as is, otherwise it is searched for under /etc/periodic and any other directories specified by the local_periodic setting in periodic.conf(5) (see below). The periodic utility will run each executable file in the directory or directories specified. If a file does not have the executable bit set, it is silently ignored. Each script is required to exit with one of the following values: 0 The script has produced nothing notable in its output. The <basedir>_show_success variable controls the masking of this output. 1 The script has produced some notable information in its output. The <basedir>_show_info variable controls the masking of this output. 2 The script has produced some warnings due to invalid configuration settings. The <basedir>_show_badconfig variable controls the mask- ing of this output. >2 The script has produced output that must not be masked. If the relevant variable (where <basedir> is the base directory in which the script resides) is set to ``NO'' in periodic.conf, periodic will mask the script output. If the variable is not set to either ``YES'' or ``NO'', it will be given a default value as described in periodic.conf(5). All remaining script output is delivered based on the value of the <basedir>_output setting. If this is set to a path name (beginning with a '/' character), output is simply logged to that file. newsyslog(8) knows about the files /var/log/daily.log, /var/log/weekly.log and /var/log/monthly.log, and if they exist, it will rotate them at the appropriate times. These are therefore good values if you wish to log periodic output. If the <basedir>_output value does not begin with a '/' and is not empty, it is assumed to contain a list of email addresses, and the output is mailed to them. If <basedir>_show_empty_output is set to ``NO'', then no mail will be sent if the output was empty. If <basedir>_output is not set or is empty, output is sent to standard output. ENVIRONMENT
The periodic utility sets the PATH environment to include all standard system directories, but no additional directories, such as /usr/local/bin. If executables are added which depend upon other path components, each executable must be responsible for configuring its own appropriate environment. FILES
/etc/crontab the periodic utility is typically called via entries in the system default cron(8) table /etc/periodic the top level directory containing daily, weekly, and monthly subdirectories which contain standard system peri- odic executables /etc/defaults/periodic.conf the periodic.conf system registry contains variables that control the behaviour of periodic and the standard daily, weekly, and monthly scripts /etc/periodic.conf this file contains local overrides for the default periodic configuration EXIT STATUS
Exit status is 0 on success and 1 if the command fails. EXAMPLES
The system crontab should have entries for periodic similar to the following example: # do daily/weekly/monthly maintenance 0 2 * * * root periodic daily 0 3 * * 6 root periodic weekly 0 5 1 * * root periodic monthly The /etc/defaults/periodic.conf system registry will typically have a local_periodic variable reading: local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic" To log periodic output instead of receiving it as email, add the following lines to /etc/periodic.conf: daily_output=/var/log/daily.log weekly_output=/var/log/weekly.log monthly_output=/var/log/monthly.log To only see important information from daily periodic jobs, add the following lines to /etc/periodic.conf: daily_show_success=NO daily_show_info=NO daily_show_badconfig=NO DIAGNOSTICS
The command may fail for one of the following reasons: usage: periodic <directory of files to execute> No directory path argument was passed to periodic to specify where the script fragments reside. <directory> not found Self explanatory. SEE ALSO
sh(1), crontab(5), periodic.conf(5), cron(8), newsyslog(8) HISTORY
The periodic utility first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
Paul Traina <pst@FreeBSD.org> Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> BUGS
Since one specifies information about a directory using shell variables containing the string, <basedir>, <basedir> must only contain charac- ters that are valid within a sh(1) variable name, alphanumerics and underscores, and the first character may not be numeric. BSD
August 30, 2007 BSD