Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to tail -f real time file. Post 302566170 by Shell_Life on Wednesday 19th of October 2011 04:31:47 PM
Old 10-19-2011
If you want to know the most recent file:
Code:
mLast=$(ls -1tr 20*.log | tail -1)
tail -f ${mLast} ...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Real time log file redirect

Hi all, i would like to write the shell script program, it can monitor the access_log "real time" when the access_log writing the line contain "abcdef" the program will be "COPY" this line into a file named "abcdef.txt", do the same thing if the contain "123456" "COPY" it into a file named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Live/real-time text-file updates in terminal

I want to have a terminal open and have something like a "repeating cat" command running in it for a certain text file (in particular /var/log/system.log). So my terminal will scan or cat the text file every so often or whenever the text file system.log gets written to by the system, it will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to convert epoch time to real time

Dear experts, I have an epoch time input file such as : - 1302451209564 1302483698948 1302485231072 1302490805383 1302519244700 1302492787481 1302505299145 1302506557022 1302532112140 1302501033105 1302511536485 1302512669550 I need the epoch time above to be converted into real... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aismann
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tail real time file Generated every hour?

Hi Guys, I am developing a script to monitor log file Generated every hour. When creating a new file scripts not working. My Code . I want to monitor GatewayTransaction.yyyymmdd-hh.log while true; do newdate=$(date '+%Y%m%d') ; nowdate=$(date '+%Y%m%d-%H.log'); tail -f... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy real file from a shortcut preserving the time stamps and directory tree

I have directory with shorcuts of files. for example: gara@yn\short\name1 ( shortcut to gara@yn\FOLDER\OPT\GARA\1.jpg ) gara@yn\short\name2 ( shortcut to gara@yn\FOLDER\OPT\GARA\11.jpg ) gara@yn\short\name3 ( shortcut to gara@yn\MARA\URSA\2.jpg ) gara@yn\short\name4 ( shortcut to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogok_bg
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i use tail & grep in real time here??

Hi I have a file which is updated very frequently. Where in i wanted to use tail -f command in the script and wanted to grep for a particular word. But the issue is when i use tail -f filename|grep "word" ... it will show me blank until the word is found in the real time. if it shows... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving or removing few data from log file in real time

Hi, I have a log file that gets updated every second. Currently the size has grown to 20+ GB. I need to have a command/script, that will try to get the actual size of the file and will remove 50% of the data that are in the log file. I don't mind removing the data as the size has grown to huge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik Patra
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read a fast written log file at Real time speed?

Hello All, I am building a real time parser for a log file in my application. The log file is continuously written at a very fast pace and gets rolled over every 10 minutes. I have measured the speed and observed that around 1000 lines are written to it every second, each line about 30-40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
7 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-F | -f | -r] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus (``+'') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus (``-'') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default starting location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also check to see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated. The file is closed and reopened when tail detects that the filename being read from has a new inode number. The -F option is ignored if reading from standard input rather than a file. -n number The location is number lines. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where ``XXX'' is the name of the file. DIAGNOSTICS
The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -F, -b and -r options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e. ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in PWB UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD