Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming problem compiling with gfortran in two different debian releases Post 302566132 by currix on Wednesday 19th of October 2011 02:24:59 PM
Old 10-19-2011
problem compiling with gfortran in two different debian releases

Hello,

I hope this is the correct forum for this post. I have the following
problem:

A Fortran 77 program that has to deal with several large
matrices (each approx. 5000 x 5000) and uses lapack and blas
subroutines has been correctly compiled and executed using Debian
Etch. When I tried to compile the same program in another computer
with the more recent release Debian Squeeze, to my great surprise
I find out that the compilation time has hugely increased, mostly due to
an intensive use of memory. In fact I can't compile the program in the
same laptop I used to do it because it ran out of memory, so I have to
do it in a different computer. Apart from this, once the program is compiled
in the etch and the squeeze computers the output obtained in both cases
are (very) different.

I enclose here some info about the two pc's where I am testing the
program: uname, gfortran version, the time required to compile the
program, and the size of the resulting executable in both cases.

The executable sizes are almost equal. All in all, this is a quite
puzzling situation for me. I guess this has to do with compiler versions,
but I do not understand where does this huge increment in compiling time
come from and why the memory resources needed in one case and the
other are so different. I would appreciate if somebody can give me a
hint of what is going on.

Regards,

Currix

Output ETCH system:

etch$ uname -a
Linux etch 2.6.18-6-686-bigmem #1 SMP Sat Feb 20 00:15:53 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
etch$ gfortran -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr --with-tune=i686 --enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

squeeze$ uname -a
Linux squeeze 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem #1 SMP Mon Jun 13 05:03:09 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
$ gfortran -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Debian 4.4.5-8' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-4.4 --enable-shared --enable-multiarch --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.4 --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc --enable-targets=all --with-arch-32=i586 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=i486-linux-gnu --host=i486-linux-gnu --target=i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-8)

Compiling:

etch$ time make -f Makefile_test fitgen
gfortran -c u3xu3_minuit_gen_ch2_DMlc.f
gfortran -c basis_u3xu3.f
gfortran -c hamilt_u3xu3_gen_min_DM.f
gfortran -c check_conv_min_DM.f
gfortran -c compare_energ.f
gfortran -c read_expdata_u3xu3.f
gfortran -c read_harmass_u3xu3.f
gfortran -c build_exp_ass_pointer.f
gfortran -c algha_overlap.f
gfortran -c dis_res_u3xu3_sim.f
gfortran -c save_res_u3xu3_sim.f
gfortran -c fcn_gen_sub_DM.f

gfortran -o ./tmp/u3xu3_SABDMLC_etch u3xu3_minuit_gen_ch2_DMlc.o basis_u3xu3.o hamilt_u3xu3_gen_min_DM.o check_conv_min_DM.o compare_energ.o read_expdata_u3xu3.o read_harmass_u3xu3.o build_exp_ass_pointer.o algha_overlap.o dis_res_u3xu3_sim.o save_res_u3xu3_sim.o fcn_gen_sub_DM.o minuit_u3xu3.o intrac.o minuit-cern.o -lblas -llapack

real 0m1.985s
user 0m1.512s
sys 0m0.196s

etch$ ls -lth tmp/
total 252K
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user rsrchrs 245K 2011-10-17 17:56 u3xu3_SABDMLC_minuit*

squeeze$ time make -f Makefile_test fitgen
gfortran -c u3xu3_minuit_gen_ch2_DMlc.f
gfortran -c basis_u3xu3.f
gfortran -c hamilt_u3xu3_gen_min_DM.f
gfortran -c check_conv_min_DM.f
gfortran -c compare_energ.f
gfortran -c read_expdata_u3xu3.f
gfortran -c read_harmass_u3xu3.f
gfortran -c build_exp_ass_pointer.f
gfortran -c algha_overlap.f
gfortran -c dis_res_u3xu3_sim.f
gfortran -c save_res_u3xu3_sim.f
gfortran -c fcn_gen_sub_DM.f
gfortran -c minuit_u3xu3.f
gfortran -c intrac.f
gfortran -c minuit-cern.f
gfortran -o ./tmp/u3xu3_SABDMLC_squeeze u3xu3_minuit_gen_ch2_DMlc.o basis_u3xu3.o hamilt_u3xu3_gen_min_DM.o check_conv_min_DM.o compare_energ.o read_expdata_u3xu3.o read_harmass_u3xu3.o build_exp_ass_pointer.o algha_overlap.o dis_res_u3xu3_sim.o save_res_u3xu3_sim.o fcn_gen_sub_DM.o minuit_u3xu3.o intrac.o minuit-cern.o -lblas -llapack

real 0m22.898s
user 0m20.717s
sys 0m2.168s

squeeze$ lls tmp/
total 500K
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user rsrchrs 244K Oct 17 17:59 u3xu3_SABDMLC_squeeze*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user rsrchrs 245K Oct 17 17:56 u3xu3_SABDMLC_etch*

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Compiling problem

I'm trying to install the jed text editor on a SunOS 5.10 box. It depends on the s-lang library, which I installed to ~/lib. I'm trying to install jed to ~/jed (it's a box @ my university, so I don't have rights to install globally), but when I run make I get this error: It looks like it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iandunn
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Problem in PowerDNS compiling

PowerDNS is true Power of Internet Name Management. http://www.powerdns.com Now, I compile it on my SunOS system (SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10). ./configure -- no error make --> it has error: <i> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: secret4all
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Problem in HP-UX compiling

Hi When im trying to do make --version and make --help in HP-UX it throws error Make: Unknown flag argument -. Stop. a soft link is present in this directory /usr/bin/make and hard link is in /usr/ccs/bin/make what could be the reason can any1 ..please tell me how to solve this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling samba problem

People i download the lastest version of samba i`am tryng to compile it in a solaris 9 i'm reading the how to of samba, i am in the first step making the autogen.sh but show me this when i do ./autogen.sh ./autogen.sh: running script/mkversion.sh ./script/mkversion.sh: 'include/version.h'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
0 Replies

5. Programming

gfortran compiling problem,calling too many arguments

Hello, My problem is with compiling a program modelling shallow water. In it there is a subroutine called stat with 9 parameters. In the main program it is called with 9 parameters also I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 with gfortran version 4.5. Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 11:57 PM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_franz
0 Replies

6. Programming

gfortran compiling error: Expected a right parenthesis in expression at (1)

Hello, I am compiling a code with gfortran and get one error. I have not been successful in re-writing the line so that it will compile. Any suggestions for a re-written line? WRITE (IUNITITERV, 104) ((V(1,I),V(2,I)), I=1, NUMNOD) 1 Error:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jm4smtddd
2 Replies

7. Programming

Compilation problem with gfortran

Hello everyone, I'm trying since a few days to compile a f90 program with gfortran (on Ubuntu) with a makefile. The fortran program calls 2 routines written in C. Here is my makefile: FC = gfortran SFC = gfortran FFLAGS = -ffree-form -O... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: leroygr
21 Replies

8. Programming

GFORTRAN library problem: libgFORTRAN.so.1 cannot open....

I've received some executable script for test, but executing this script continuously give me following message ./example: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory Google search told me to do as following $... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: exsonic
1 Replies