Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [SSH] Accessing remote directory with user-passed path Post 302566100 by Corona688 on Wednesday 19th of October 2011 12:24:18 PM
Old 10-19-2011
Code:
dir=  $1

The spaces between = and $1 stop this from working, which is probably why $dir doesn't work.

When dir is $1, ./$1 won't do what you want, since you want to run ./file, not ./dir
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the path of a file when it is passed as ....filename(parameter) to script

hi unix guru's..................:confused: question is posted in the #3 permalink shown below. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect, SSH and multiple passed commands

Hey Everyone, I have found this script online that has almost all the features I am looking for. However, I do not know enough expect to debug the problem. http://linuxgazette.net/100/misc/tips/sshtool.expect.txt First, it Traps out after it collects the user's password. I do not know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: patchsmyle
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

My variable cannot be passed through into my path

Hi, Can you please help. I am scripting in sh and I am trying to simply copy one directory to another but for some reason my variables are not recognised? echo "The latest version of the program is being found......." cd $SOFTWARE/src/$progname version=`ls $SOFTWARE/src/$progname | grep... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SSH] Need to connect to remote server as different user and without password

I have a task requiring that USER_A run a script, which connects to HOST_B as USER_B and does not ask for a password. If I am logged in on HOST_A as USER_B, I can connect to HOST_B without a password, no problem. However, if I try running ssh with the command line "ssh USER_B@HOST_B" while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Totengraber
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh to remote machine with 2nd user and password

Hi all, Really hope someone can help me, i have been trying lots of things and just cant seem to nail it - and for something that seems straight forward.... Anyway, scenario is I need to log onto a second machine (remote server) from main workstation. Once logged in I need to run a batch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hopper_no1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh user@server ' cd path;j=0; for i in *;do;d=`du -sh $i | awk '{print( $1 )}'`;p=$d'|'$i;j=`expr $

Please help me to resolve below the issue in script ssh user@server ' cd path;j=0; for i in *;do;d=`du -sh $i | \ awk '{print( $1 )}'`;p=$d'|'$i;j=`expr $j + 1 `;arr=$p;echo ${arr};done' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SAUD PASHA
1 Replies

7. Programming

Trying to ssh as another user and cd to directory

I can ssh to another directory by doing the following: for server in server1; do ssh -t $server1 "cd /tmp; 'ls'";done However, if I try to do it as another user it fails: I have tried: for server in server1 do dir=$(su - nbadaccount -c "ssh $server `cd '/tmp/TSTCON'` " ) pwd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to ssh and list files in local directory from remote.

#!/bin/bash script_work_dir="/home/websys/TEST_dpi_42_file_trnsfer_engine/PORT22/script_work_area" script_config_dir="/home/websys/TEST_dpi_42_file_trnsfer_engine/PORT22/script_config" dpi_sourceServerList=$script_config_dir"/dpi_sourceServerList" dpi_srvr_42="rtm@1.1.1.1"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
mvdir(1M)																 mvdir(1M)

NAME
mvdir - move a directory SYNOPSIS
dir newdir DESCRIPTION
moves one directory tree into another existing directory (within the same file system), or renames a directory without moving it. dir must be an existing directory. If newdir does not exist but the directory that would contain it does, dir is moved and/or renamed to newdir. Otherwise, newdir must be an existing directory not already containing an entry with the same name as the last pathname component of dir. In this case, dir is moved and becomes a subdirectory of newdir. The last pathname component of dir is used as the name for the moved directory. refuses to move dir if the path specified by newdir would be a descendent directory of the path specified by dir. Such cases are not allowed because cyclic sub-trees would be created as in the case, for example, of which is prohibited. does not allow directory to be moved. Only users who have appropriate privileges can use EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
cp(1), mkdir(1), mv(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mvdir(1M)