Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [SSH] Accessing remote directory with user-passed path Post 302566094 by lgb3 on Wednesday 19th of October 2011 12:10:54 PM
Old 10-19-2011
[SSH] Accessing remote directory with user-passed path

Hi everybody,

Currently, I have a script which access a remote computer via SSH, go to a folder already defined in the code and then executes a program in it, just like that:

Code:
ssh user@host  << EOI
cd path
./file
EOI

It executes fine, but now I want to pass an argument in the command line call. which is the name of the folder to "cd" to and the name of the file to run. So I tried the following:

Code:
dir=  $1
ssh user@host << EOI
cd $dir
pwd
./$1
EOI

, which doesn't work. It's as if after the "ssh user@host << EOI" line the script lost knowledge of the variable $dir as well as $1.

I'm pretty noob in shell scripting, so would you know any way to solve this?

Thanks in advance,
Luiz.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the path of a file when it is passed as ....filename(parameter) to script

hi unix guru's..................:confused: question is posted in the #3 permalink shown below. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect, SSH and multiple passed commands

Hey Everyone, I have found this script online that has almost all the features I am looking for. However, I do not know enough expect to debug the problem. http://linuxgazette.net/100/misc/tips/sshtool.expect.txt First, it Traps out after it collects the user's password. I do not know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: patchsmyle
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

My variable cannot be passed through into my path

Hi, Can you please help. I am scripting in sh and I am trying to simply copy one directory to another but for some reason my variables are not recognised? echo "The latest version of the program is being found......." cd $SOFTWARE/src/$progname version=`ls $SOFTWARE/src/$progname | grep... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SSH] Need to connect to remote server as different user and without password

I have a task requiring that USER_A run a script, which connects to HOST_B as USER_B and does not ask for a password. If I am logged in on HOST_A as USER_B, I can connect to HOST_B without a password, no problem. However, if I try running ssh with the command line "ssh USER_B@HOST_B" while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Totengraber
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh to remote machine with 2nd user and password

Hi all, Really hope someone can help me, i have been trying lots of things and just cant seem to nail it - and for something that seems straight forward.... Anyway, scenario is I need to log onto a second machine (remote server) from main workstation. Once logged in I need to run a batch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hopper_no1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh user@server ' cd path;j=0; for i in *;do;d=`du -sh $i | awk '{print( $1 )}'`;p=$d'|'$i;j=`expr $

Please help me to resolve below the issue in script ssh user@server ' cd path;j=0; for i in *;do;d=`du -sh $i | \ awk '{print( $1 )}'`;p=$d'|'$i;j=`expr $j + 1 `;arr=$p;echo ${arr};done' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SAUD PASHA
1 Replies

7. Programming

Trying to ssh as another user and cd to directory

I can ssh to another directory by doing the following: for server in server1; do ssh -t $server1 "cd /tmp; 'ls'";done However, if I try to do it as another user it fails: I have tried: for server in server1 do dir=$(su - nbadaccount -c "ssh $server `cd '/tmp/TSTCON'` " ) pwd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to ssh and list files in local directory from remote.

#!/bin/bash script_work_dir="/home/websys/TEST_dpi_42_file_trnsfer_engine/PORT22/script_work_area" script_config_dir="/home/websys/TEST_dpi_42_file_trnsfer_engine/PORT22/script_config" dpi_sourceServerList=$script_config_dir"/dpi_sourceServerList" dpi_srvr_42="rtm@1.1.1.1"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
GIT-SHELL(1)							    Git Manual							      GIT-SHELL(1)

NAME
git-shell - Restricted login shell for Git-only SSH access SYNOPSIS
chsh -s $(command -v git-shell) <user> git clone <user>@localhost:/path/to/repo.git ssh <user>@localhost DESCRIPTION
This is a login shell for SSH accounts to provide restricted Git access. It permits execution only of server-side Git commands implementing the pull/push functionality, plus custom commands present in a subdirectory named git-shell-commands in the user's home directory. COMMANDS
git shell accepts the following commands after the -c option: git receive-pack <argument>, git upload-pack <argument>, git upload-archive <argument> Call the corresponding server-side command to support the client's git push, git fetch, or git archive --remote request. cvs server Imitate a CVS server. See git-cvsserver(1). If a ~/git-shell-commands directory is present, git shell will also handle other, custom commands by running "git-shell-commands/<command> <arguments>" from the user's home directory. INTERACTIVE USE
By default, the commands above can be executed only with the -c option; the shell is not interactive. If a ~/git-shell-commands directory is present, git shell can also be run interactively (with no arguments). If a help command is present in the git-shell-commands directory, it is run to provide the user with an overview of allowed actions. Then a "git> " prompt is presented at which one can enter any of the commands from the git-shell-commands directory, or exit to close the connection. Generally this mode is used as an administrative interface to allow users to list repositories they have access to, create, delete, or rename repositories, or change repository descriptions and permissions. If a no-interactive-login command exists, then it is run and the interactive shell is aborted. EXAMPLE
To disable interactive logins, displaying a greeting instead: + $ chsh -s /usr/bin/git-shell $ mkdir $HOME/git-shell-commands $ cat >$HOME/git-shell-commands/no-interactive-login <<EOF #!/bin/sh printf '%s ' "Hi $USER! You've successfully authenticated, but I do not" printf '%s ' "provide interactive shell access." exit 128 EOF $ chmod +x $HOME/git-shell-commands/no-interactive-login SEE ALSO
ssh(1), git-daemon(1), contrib/git-shell-commands/README GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-SHELL(1)