Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using Sed to do a substitution inside ksh Post 302565827 by Calbrenar on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 10:56:14 PM
Old 10-18-2011
edited

Last edited by Calbrenar; 10-19-2011 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: made new thread since different problem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh substitution

Hello, I thought it was possible to use several time a #! entry on a script but it doesn't seems to work. My need is to have a part of a ksh script without substitution so it would look like #!/bin/ksh -- first part --- #!/bin/ksh -f -- part without substitution -- #!/bin/ksh --... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solea
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH variable substitution

Hi folks Please let me know if anyone knows how to handle this. My KSH script -> testscript.ksh cmd=$1 ENV="devl" echo $cmd This is how I call the script ./testscript.ksh 'ps -ef | grep br$ENV' How do I get this to print the below text i.e $ENV should be substituted with the value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Substitution not working in ksh

Hi, Following code is working in bash but not in ksh. Can someone please send me an alternative? #!/bin/ksh fname="EOA.dmp" echo $fname logname=${fname/.dmp/.log} echo $logname I am getting below error in ksh "testcmd: logname=${fname/.dmp/.log}: 0403-011 The specified substitution... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String substitution on find results inside exec/xargs

What I'm trying to do is perform a copy, well a ditto actually, on the results of a find command, but some inline string substitution needs to happen. So if I run this code find ./ -name "*.tif" I get back these results. .//1234567.tif .//abcdefg.tif Now the action from exec or xargs I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myndcraft
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable substitution in ksh

Hi I have a variable BIT1 which holds some value. Is there a way to retrieve the value of this variable indirectly via another variable, lets say SUBSET_BIT_NUM=1, so the call will look something like this: sundev1 $ echo ${BIT${SUBSET_BIT_NUM}} ksh: ${BIT${SUBSET_BIT_NUM}}: bad substitution ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: substitution character, AWK or SED?

Hi Gurus, I am working with a korn shell script. I should replace in a very great file the character ";" with a space. Example: 2750;~ 2734;~ 2778;~ 2751;~ 2751;~ 2752;~ what the fastest method is? Sed? Awk? Speed is dead main point, Seen the dimensions of the files Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using commands inside sed substitution

Dear Friends, Please let me know how to use the date command inside the substitution flag replacement string. echo "01 Jan 2003:11:00:06 +0100" | sed 's/\(.*\)/`date -d \1 "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S"`/' I want to supply \1 string to Here mention below as part of replacement string, date -d <Here>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamil.pamaran
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable inside command substitution

Hello people. Part of my script: SUBSETID=`echo $PMFILE |sed 's/pmresult_//' | sed 's/_*//'` MAPFILE=`find /huawei/cell /huawei/nodeb /huawei/rnc -name 'mapping_$SUBSETID.txt' |grep -v backup` Unfortunatelly variable $SUBSETID in the MAPFILE declaration will not return the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command substitution inside of a variable expression (AIX, KORN)

Hello all. This is my first post/question on this site. I’m a new Systems Analyst with previous experience with BASH. Although now I'm using AIX, and I’m trying to get a feel for the Korn shell (for those of you that don’t know AIX only uses the KORN shell). I hope I put this into the correct... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sydox
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not working inside ksh script but works fine outside

Hi, I am a bit confused ,why would a sed command work fine outside of ksh script but not inside. e.g I want to replace all the characters which end with a value and have space at end of it. so my command for it is : sed -i "s/$SEPARATOR /$SEPARATOR/g" file_name This is working fine in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
8 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)