Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inserting commas into file at set locations... Post 302565740 by Paragon1970 on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 03:16:45 PM
Old 10-18-2011
Glad to be of assistance Astrocloud and thanks for my first thanks :-)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting commas and replacing backslashes with commas

Hi, Newbie here. I have a file that consists of data that I want to convert to a csv file. For example: Jul 20 2008 1111 / visit home / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLOC-1.1 VendorID/105 Jul 21 2008 22222 / add friend / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kangaroo
3 Replies

2. Solaris

file locations...

Hi Guys, There was a post that I saw here a while ago regarding file system layout and what to put where, which I am unable to find now.. A user here posted a man page that list what each partition should have in it and what it is used for and were you should install custom packages. ie:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tornado
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending a file to 24 Server locations parallely

Hi All, I have to send a processed file to 24 different server locations. I feel, if this job can be done parallel in the background - Time will come down. I found the script to FTP the file for a single server location through past Unix posts as below: #!/usr/bin/ksh ftp -v -n... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsmeruga
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert Delimiter at fixed locations in a flat file

Hi Can somebody help me with solution for this PLEASE? I have a flat file and need to insert delimiters at fixed positions in all the lines so that I can easily convert into EXCEL with columns defined as per their width. For Example Here is the file { kkjhdhal sdfewss sdtereetyw... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jd_mca
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Program to insert Delimiters at fixed locations in a file, Can you please Debug it for me??

Can someone please help?I have a file - fixed.txt----------------------------AABBBBCCCCCCDDDEEFFFFGGGGGGHHHIIJJJJKKKKKKLLL----------------------------To insert delimiters at fixed lengths of 2, 4, 6, 3, I created a file text1.txt as-------------------2463----------------------and trying to execute... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jd_mca
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading commas in the file

Hi , I have a file with below records 965382,10310858,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 767010,10217614,3,10217616,10217622,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vputtas@gmail.c
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit locations in a file

Hi , I have a file which looks like this source1 LEN predictive 392879 394347 0.955489 + . Name=sa000003.1;ID=sa000003;Alias=sa121751.1; source1 LEN descriptive_1 391082 392878 . . . Parent=sa000003.1;supp_id=.1805.1; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siya@
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple lines to columns with awk, while inserting commas for missing lines

Hello all, I have a large csv file where there are four types of rows I need to merge into one row per person, where there is a column for each possible code / type of row, even if that code/row isn't there for that person. In the csv, a person may be listed from one to four times... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RalphNY
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing commas from CSV file

Hi I'm creating a sh script to generate a csv file. The CSV contains the values from a sql table. The content looks this: a,b,c,c2,c3,,,,,,,,,,,d,e I have some code that can separate the fields using the comma as delimiter, but some values actually contain commas, such as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preema
2 Replies
LUA(1)							      General Commands Manual							    LUA(1)

NAME
lua - Lua interpreter SYNOPSIS
lua [ options ] [ script [ args ] ] DESCRIPTION
lua is the stand-alone Lua interpreter. It loads and executes Lua programs, either in textual source form or in precompiled binary form. (Precompiled binaries are output by luac, the Lua compiler.) lua can be used as a batch interpreter and also interactively. The given options (see below) are executed and then the Lua program in file script is loaded and executed. The given args are available to script as strings in a global table named arg. If these arguments contain spaces or other characters special to the shell, then they should be quoted (but note that the quotes will be removed by the shell). The arguments in arg start at 0, which contains the string `script'. The index of the last argument is stored in arg.n. The arguments given in the command line before script, including the name of the interpreter, are available in negative indices in arg. At the very start, before even handling the command line, lua executes the contents of the environment variable LUA_INIT, if it is defined. If the value of LUA_INIT is of the form `@filename', then filename is executed. Otherwise, the string is assumed to be a Lua statement and is executed. Options start with - and are described below. You can use -- to signal the end of options. If no arguments are given, then -v -i is assumed when the standard input is a terminal; otherwise, - is assumed. In interactive mode, lua prompts the user, reads lines from the standard input, and executes them as they are read. If a line does not contain a complete statement, then a secondary prompt is displayed and lines are read until a complete statement is formed or a syntax error is found. So, one way to interrupt the reading of an incomplete statement is to force a syntax error: adding a `;' in the middle of a statement is a sure way of forcing a syntax error (except inside multiline strings and comments; these must be closed explicitly). If a line starts with `=', then lua displays the values of all the expressions in the remainder of the line. The expressions must be separated by commas. The primary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT, if this value is a string; otherwise, the default prompt is used. Similarly, the secondary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT2. So, to change the prompts, set the corresponding variable to a string of your choice. You can do that after calling the interpreter or on the command line with _PROMPT='lua: ', for exam- ple. (Note the need for quotes, because the string contains a space.) The default prompts are ``> '' and ``>> ''. OPTIONS
- load and execute the standard input as a file, that is, not interactively, even when the standard input is a terminal. -e stat execute statement stat. You need to quote stat if it contains spaces, quotes, or other characters special to the shell. -i enter interactive mode after script is executed. -l file call require(file) before executing script. Typically used to load libraries (hence the letter l). -v show version information. -P suppress the creation of a standard LUA_PATH variable. Use this if you need to run scripts which conflict with system-installed libraries. SEE ALSO
luac(1) http://www.lua.org/ DIAGNOSTICS
Error messages should be self explanatory. AUTHORS
R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, and W. Celes <lua@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> Debian modifications to the manpage by Daniel Silverstone <dsilvers@debian.org> 2003/04/02 00:05:20 LUA(1)