Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem executing perl script on remote server Post 302565739 by colinireland on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 03:13:59 PM
Old 10-18-2011
Problem executing perl script on remote server

Hello,

I am running in to a problem running a perl script on a remote server.

I can run a simple script test.pl which contains just a print statment without issue by running
Code:
ssh root@1.2.3.4 perl test.pl

However, I have a more complex script that does not execute as expected. I think I have it narrowed down to a problem with the lines that open files for writing. The script works fine if I run it on the server.

The following does not create a file and write to it if executed remotely
Code:
open FILE, ">file.txt" or die $!;
print FILE "Testing123\n";
close FILE;

Does anyone know of a way I can achieve this?

Regards,
Colin

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-19-2011 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem executing setuid script in perl-5.8.6

Hi, I have a script (a.pl) that can be run by anyone. The script internally has to read a file and write into few files which are owned by user 'myUser'. Has to read the following file: -rwx------ 1 myuser myuser 4986 Aug 20 18:11 my.file Has to write into following files: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarmakdvsr
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a remote Server through perl script

Hello people, I am want to run a server on remote machine through perl scripting using telnet api. Now when I try to do so, the server gets started perfectly, but as soon as I close the telnet connection in the script, the server started on the remote machine suddenly goes down. I also... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrak
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing a remote location script from local server

hi i am having two servers one is local and remote(FTP)server.from local server i have to connect to remote server and execute a shell script i want to run a shell script(remote location) from my local server i am having some knowledge on ftp but i am not getting the result .please give ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing ls command in remote server

Hi Guru, I have a requirement where i need to list the *.csv files in my remote server and copy a file from that server to my unix server I wrote dis code #!/bin/sh . /home/aaa/bb/GlobalHost.sh export HOST export USER export PWD ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
1 Replies

5. Programming

Date time problem while executing perl script.

Hi All, This Monday 15th March 2010, i have faced a weired issue with my Perl script execution, this script is scheduled to run at 1 minute past midnight on daily basis ( 00:01 EST ) generally for fetching previous business date , say if it is Monday it should give last Friday date, for Tuesday... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravimishra
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing sed on a remote server

Hi I am trying to edit a text file on a remote server using sed from within a cygwin shell on a windows system. $ sed -i "s/aaa/bbb/g" \\remoteHost\c$\log.info sed: can't read \remoteHostc$log.info: No such file or directory What am I missing ? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnn
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing local script/command on remote server

I have a command that I want to run on machine B from machine A. If I run the command on machine B locally, it works fine. Here is the command: for n in `find /data1/ -name 'ini*.ext'` ; do echo cp $n "`dirname $n `/` basename $n .ext`"; done From machine A, I issue this command ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirtyd0ggy
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a script in remote server

Hi All, I have 2 servers A and B. I need to connect to server B from server A and execute a shell script in B which will create some files and i need to copy those files back to server A. Required easiest possible for perfoming above task. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Girish19
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing ksh script to remote server want output on same window

I'm having a brain freeze moment. I've created a ksh script in AIX that ssh's to a remote server, executes some commands, and then logs out. All of this is sent to a file. I then have the script cat the file so i can see the output. Even though the cat command is outside of the remote session part;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to keep staying on remote server after executing a shell script with if then exit end statement?

i have a "if .. then exit end " in s shell script on remote servers. now the connection to the remote server got killed after i run this script on the remote servers. How do i run this script on remote hosts and still keep remote connections alive after executing the script. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moonmonk
10 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.2 2009-11-23 Test::Script(3)