Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove text between two expressions Post 302565687 by deneuve01 on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 01:21:37 PM
Old 10-18-2011
THANK YOU !!!
That did the trick !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate text

Hello, I have a log file which is generated by a script which looks like this: userid: 7 starttime: Sat May 24 23:24:13 CEST 2008 endtime: Sat May 24 23:26:57 CEST 2008 total time spent: 2.73072 minutes / 163.843 seconds date: Sat Jun 7 16:09:03 CEST 2008 userid: 8 starttime: Sun May... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavu88
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove specified text from file

I am trying to write a script that kills old sessions, I've posted here over the past few days and the script is just about perfect except I want to be given the option to exclude specified PIDs from being killed. this is the entire script: if then rm /tmp/idlepids fi if then rm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract text from string using regular expressions

Hi, I'm trying to use sed to extract some text and assign it to a variable. Can anyone provide me with some help? it would be much appreciated! I"m looking to extract for example: filename=/output/R34/2005_13_R34_C1042S_T83_CRFTXT_20081015.txt I'm trying to extract the 1042... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtung
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove text in line

Hi, i have a text file with some links and i want to remove some characters from it. My text file is something like this: <p> <b> Arquivo CASC2270.09o transferido com sucesso. </b> </p><p> <b> Verificando CASC2270.09o ... </b> </p><p> <b> Iniciando processamento de CASC2270.09o ... </b>... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove specified line from text

hi, I wish to move a specified line from a text file: ltoremove=5 #remove 5th line i=1 while read line ; do if ; then ... i=$(($i+1)) done < "txt.txt" how should this actually be done? is there a shorter faster way to do this? :wall: Thanks, Ted (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ted_chou12
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters from text

I have a file which looks like this. I only show first 11 lines of the file followed by some text that appears at the end of every file. 1. file:///path1/path2/path3/path4/251192.dat (score 3.849384, docid 142923) 2. file:///path1/path2/path3/path4/173859.dat (score 3.831033, docid 75365) 3.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text between brackets

How can I use bash to remove all text between "<" and ">" in a file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove ending text

Hello, I am working with a list that contains a large number of files listed by their absolute path. I am trying to determine a way to delete the file name at the end of each line, therefore leaving just the directory path. For example, I'd like to go from: /home/something/file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnivir
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - coloring reg. expressions in text

Hi all, is there anyone good at bash who will help me? I need to use syntax ${string/pattern/replacement} The problematic part where I am stuck is: #!bin/bash text="A cat is on a mat." exp="cat" newexp="SOMECODEcatSOMECODE" newtext=${${text}/${exp}/${newexp}} == > ERROR "wrong... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnnyM77
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the text between all curly brackets from text file?

Hello experts, I have a text file with lot of curly brackets (both opening { & closing } ). I need to delete them alongwith the text between opening & closing brackets' pair. For ex: Input:- 59. Rh1 Qe4 {(Qf5-e4 Qd8-g8+ Kg6-f5 Qg8-h7+ Kf5-e5 Qh7-e7+ Ke5-f5 Qe7-d7+ Qe4-e6 Qd7-h7+ Qe6-g6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree. SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev and /sys to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help show help and exit -V, --version show version number and exit RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
mount(8) chroot(2) init(8) mkinitrd(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)