Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed multiline substitution if a condition holds Post 302565466 by plsrn on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 02:45:32 AM
Old 10-18-2011
Smilie It works great!!! Only three minor problems:

1) I receive the following error message

./xx.sh: 5: [[: not found

2) 'false' and 'true' are actually false and true, without apices. For instance:
var.applypol = false;

3) Output like:
var.pol.apply = ";
should be:

var.pol.apply = '';
with two single apices ' in place of one quote ".

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete multiline string from file using sed.

Hi, I have file which has the following content... GOOD MORNING **********WARNING********** when it kicks from the kickstart, sshd daemon should start at last. (WHEN KICKING ITSELF, NOT AFTER KICKING). /etc/rc3.d/S55sshd ( run level specification for sshd is 55, now I would want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline pattern search using sed or awk

Hi friends, Could you please help me to resolve the below issue. Input file :- <Node> <username>abc</username> <password>ABC</password> <Node> <Node> <username>xyz</username> <password>XYZ</password> <Node> <Node> <username>mnp</username> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiksuresh
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed multiline pattern match

How can I write a script that takes a cisco config file and outputs every occurrence of two, or more, pattern matches through the whole config file? For example, out of a config file, i want to print out every line with interface, description and ip address through the whole file, and disregard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: knownasthatguy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to pattern match within a particular multiline block and take action

Hi all, This is my first post, so please go easy if I broke some rules. Not accustomed to posting in forums... :) I'm looking for help on pattern matching within a multiline block and looking to highlight blocks/block-ids that do NOT contain a particular pattern. For example an input file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirodad
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Multiline sed help!!

Hey everyone, I'm new to sed and I need to create a script for inserting one line of code at the beginning of every method in a Xcode project (over 6,000 methods). Each method Structure is (+ or -) (Various declarations-- could span multiple lines) ({) I've tried for days, any guidance would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed failing with multiline html loaded with metacharacters

I have html files (newlines ending in linefeed) with metacharacter-laden multiline text I want to replace. To matters more complicated, the first line may appear elsewhere in the file, so I need these lines as a block. I can replace individual lines, but am failing to come up with anything that can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mauricev
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline sed

Hi guys, I am fairly comfortable with using the sed command if the string to be replaced is all on a single line. I was wondering is it possible to use sed command in a multiline way ? Say for example I have the below string on 2 different lines: { "key": "brandNameA", ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed]: Substitute a string with a multiline value

Dear all, I try to replace a string of characters in a file (MyFile.txt) by a multiline value of the variable "Myvar": $ cat MyFile.txt DESCRIPTION '@TargetTable SCHEMA' ( @InputFlowDef ); $ The content of Myvar: $ echo "$Myvar" col1 , col2 , col3 $ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed multiline problem

I'm trying to replicate the sed output on p.108 of Sed&Awk,by Doughery & Robbins, 2nd edition. I'm on a Windows 10 Surface Pro, running Cygwin for 64-bit versions of Windows. Input text saved in text file called data_p108.txt: Consult Section 3.1 in the Owner and Operator Guide for a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prooney
9 Replies
EMPTY(3)								 1								  EMPTY(3)

empty - Determine whether a variable is empty

SYNOPSIS
bool empty (mixed $var) DESCRIPTION
Determine whether a variable is considered to be empty. A variable is considered empty if it does not exist or if its value equals FALSE. empty(3) does not generate a warning if the variable does not exist. PARAMETERS
o $var - Variable to be checked Note Prior to PHP 5.5, empty(3) only supports variables; anything else will result in a parse error. In other words, the follow- ing will not work: empty(trim($name)). Instead, use trim($name) == false. No warning is generated if the variable does not exist. That means empty(3) is essentially the concise equivalent to !isset($var) || $var == false. RETURN VALUES
Returns FALSE if $var exists and has a non-empty, non-zero value. Otherwise returns TRUE. The following things are considered to be empty: o "" (an empty string) o 0 (0 as an integer) o 0.0 (0 as a float) o "0" (0 as a string) o NULL o FALSE o array() (an empty array) o $var; (a variable declared, but without a value) CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.5.0 | | | | | | | empty(3) now supports expressions, rather than | | | only variables. | | | | | 5.4.0 | | | | | | | Checking non-numeric offsets of strings returns | | | TRUE. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A simple empty(3) / isset(3) comparison. <?php $var = 0; // Evaluates to true because $var is empty if (empty($var)) { echo '$var is either 0, empty, or not set at all'; } // Evaluates as true because $var is set if (isset($var)) { echo '$var is set even though it is empty'; } ?> Example #2 empty(3) on String Offsets PHP 5.4 changes how empty(3) behaves when passed string offsets. <?php $expected_array_got_string = 'somestring'; var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string['some_key'])); var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string[0])); var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string['0'])); var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string[0.5])); var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string['0.5'])); var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string['0 Mostel'])); ?> Output of the above example in PHP 5.3: bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) Output of the above example in PHP 5.4: bool(true) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) bool(true) bool(true) NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Note When using empty(3) on inaccessible object properties, the __isset() overloading method will be called, if declared. SEE ALSO
isset(3), __isset(), unset(3), array_key_exists(3), count(3), strlen(3), The type comparison tables. PHP Documentation Group EMPTY(3)