Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get letter from number and assign to a variable Post 302565409 by Paragon1970 on Monday 17th of October 2011 08:45:53 PM
Old 10-17-2011
Or as perl one liner:

Code:
perl -e '$number=3; @hash{1 .. 26} = ('A' .. 'Z');print "letter= $hash{${number}}\n";'

As a perl script:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
my $number="26";
my %hash;
@hash{1 .. 26} = ('A' .. 'Z');
print "letter= $hash{${number}}\n";

Regards,
SRG

Last edited by Paragon1970; 10-17-2011 at 10:39 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign a shell variable to a NUMBER parameter in pl/sql?

I have the below script running for generating file from PL/SQL stored procedure. I need to declare a shell variable and then pass this to sqlplus command to pass the same as a INPUT parameter for the stored procedure. Please help to do this. #!/bin/sh minlimit=0 maxlimit=10 size=100 while... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete all characters that aren't a letter or number

hey :) if i have a variable that is example=lewisdenny(copywrite symbol) so its not a nomal letter but a symbol, how can i remove everything in the varible that isnt letter or number thanks :) and as a side little question do you know how to remove .zip from a file like if i ls... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewisdenny
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning a number to a letter without printing it

Hello Unix.com ! Newbie question. With awk, i can we give a particular letter a number without printing the number? input: X|X A|X A|A X|A If field is "A", then it counts as 2 If field is "X", then it counts as 3 Multiply the 2 first field and give the result in the 3th field, but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting letter as variable

I need to pass letter like "c" for "-copy" and need to read by variable $sel_mod, My I know the good way of writing the script. Example: Select one of the Clone Mode ( '-copy', '-differential', '-precopy', '-nopcopy') Type the Clone mode : c Thanks in advance, Ashan ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashanabey
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable to number of lines in a file

Hello Gurus, Here is my requirement. I need to find the number of lines in a file and need to assign it to a variable. This is what I did and not wroking. #!/bin/ksh set -xv Src_Path=/mac/dev/Generic/SrcFiles Src_Count=wc -l ${Src_Path}/FILE_JUNE.txt Count_file = $Src_Count | awk -F... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign large number of blanks to a variable

I want to assign large number of blanks to a variable in Korn shell. If it is a small number it is fine like if I want to assign 3 blanks I would code var=" " But if it is a big number say 100 blanks, what is a better way? Ultimately I will use it in printf statement printf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign number of records to a variable

How does one assign a variable, x to equal the number of records in a different file. I have a simple command such as below: awk -F "\t" '(NR>5) { if(($x == "0/0")) { print $0} }' a.txt > a1.txt but I want x to equal the number of records in a different file, b.txt (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geneanalyst
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
TOUPPER(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							TOUPPER(3)

NAME
toupper, tolower - convert letter to upper or lower case SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int toupper(int c); int tolower(int c); DESCRIPTION
toupper() converts the letter c to upper case, if possible. tolower() converts the letter c to lower case, if possible. If c is not an unsigned char value, or EOF, the behavior of these functions is undefined. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is that of the converted letter, or c if the conversion was not possible. CONFORMING TO
C89, C99, 4.3BSD. BUGS
The details of what constitutes an uppercase or lowercase letter depend on the current locale. For example, the default "C" locale does not know about umlauts, so no conversion is done for them. In some non-English locales, there are lowercase letters with no corresponding uppercase equivalent; the German sharp s is one example. SEE ALSO
isalpha(3), setlocale(3), towlower(3), towupper(3), locale(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1993-04-04 TOUPPER(3)