Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't extend lv
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Can't extend lv Post 302565292 by Duffs22 on Monday 17th of October 2011 12:40:57 PM
Old 10-17-2011
Can't extend lv

Hi,

I have recently increased the size of my pv and I am now attempting to increase the lv but I get the following error:

Code:
# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  System ID             
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  16
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                8
  Open LV               8
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               249.97 GB
  PE Size               32.00 MB
  Total PE              7999
  Alloc PE / Size       2013 / 62.91 GB
  Free  PE / Size       5986 / 187.06 GB
  VG UUID               Zme52J-J22F-PisG-oOSQ-wwB2-QJ29-ZpofJk

# lvextend -L +180G /dev/VolGroup00/lvol0
  Extending logical volume lvol0 to 205.00 GB
  device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
  Failed to suspend lvol0

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

R,
D.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extend /usr on AIX

Hi! How to extend /usr partition in rootvg on AIX 4.3.3-09? I guess first I'll have to decrease the size of other partition(s) in rootvg? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve99
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

how to extend a vg on the same disk

on the disk array (EMC Clariion cx300): we added 3 disk and extended the LUN corresponding to HP-9000 (rp7410) on HP-UX 11.11: diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c10t0d0, show more disk space, but vgdisplay vg13 does not show more space So the problem is the disk had increased, but vgdisplay does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pedro_lezaeta
6 Replies

3. AIX

Extend a Filesystem with other LV

Hi Everybody, Is it possible to extend a Filesystem by adding a new LV that exist on different VG to this Filesystem? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
6 Replies

4. Solaris

How to extend a filesystem

I am running solaris 10 with Veritas. I want to extend a filesystem. It's an oracle partition (/ora12). How can I find out if there is space available to expand the filesystem and then how does one extend it. I'm from the HPUX world and so LVM was always how I did things. Thanks jackie (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackiebaron
5 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to extend a filesystem??

OK I'm sure this question has been posed far too many times. I have solaris 10 x86 with NO Veritas or Disksuite filesystems. Below is the output of df -k # df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on / 10485760 547513 9317128 6% / /dev... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackiebaron
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extend the values in a column

Hello, i have a file : 2010-10-28 17:57:42.581 #$!pre-dump!$#00027cv 060400552|060730|0963.000.2|30000261282|137943|176141|theipia_|01232006|1| 060400553|060730|0963.000.2|30000261283|137943|176141|theipia_|01232006|1|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdittmar
3 Replies

7. AIX

How to extend mirrored VG?

Hi all, I need to extend a lv, but unfortunately I do not have enough space on my mirrored Volume group. I've planned to add 2 more disks to this vg (for mirroring) But ... what's the next steps to extend my lv using these 2 disks with a valid mirroring ? 1. extendvg myvg disk1 disk2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extend memory in UNIX?

Hi friends iam new to unix. how to extend memory in UNIx. what are the possible scenarios to increase memory. I just noticed we have swap memory also but when and how to use it. and what is the correct way to increase RAM. please provide information or some useful commands. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saidesh
2 Replies

9. Linux

Unable to extend LV

Hi all. I have a Logical volume that I can't extend, with this error message: server171:root:/root# lvextend -L +1024M -v /dev/aplic_vg/siteminderwa_lv Finding volume group aplic_vg Archiving volume group "aplic_vg" metadata (seqno 75). Extending logical volume siteminderwa_lv to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gabriander
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Is it possible to extend PV

Hello, I have redhat and centos systems that I've only been able to grow the VG by adding more disks. I've been searching the web for a way to extend a volume group by growing the physical disk only and not having to add a second disk. Is it possible? I can do this with AIX, by just... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
0 Replies
vgdisplay(1M)															     vgdisplay(1M)

NAME
vgdisplay - display information about LVM volume groups SYNOPSIS
[vg_name...] vg_vers | vg_name ...] Remarks If a combination of volume groups version 1.0 and 2.0 or higher arguments are supplied, the arguments may not be processed in the order they are listed on the command line. DESCRIPTION
The command displays information about volume groups. For each vg_name specified, displays information for that volume group only. If no vg_name is specified, displays names and corresponding information for all defined volume groups. If the volume group version is speci- fied, displays names and corresponding information for all volume groups belonging to the specified volume group version. The volume group must be activated (see vgchange(1M)) before it can be displayed. Options and Arguments recognizes the following options and arguments: vg_name The path name of the volume group, for example, Display volume group information for all volume groups corresponding to the volume group version vg_vers. Produce a compact listing of fields described in The output is a list of colon separated fields formatted as value...]. For each volume group, display additional information about logical volumes, physical volumes, and physical volume groups. Display Without -v Option If you omit the option, only the following information is displayed: The path name of the volume group. Current access mode and quiesce mode of the volume group. The access mode is either or If the volume group is quiesced, the quiesce mode is displayed on the same line. The quiesce mode is either or State of the volume group: always as after a command, since deactivated volume groups are not displayed. Maximum number of logical volumes allowed in the volume group. Current number of logical volumes in the volume group. Number of logical volumes currently open in the volume group. Maximum number of physical volumes allowed in the volume group. Current number of physical volumes in the volume group. Number of physical volumes that are currently active. Maximum number (limit) of physical extents that can be allocated from any of the physical volumes in the volume group. Number of Volume Group Descriptor Areas within the volume group. Size of each physical extent in Megabytes. Total number of physical extents within the volume group: the sum of the number of physical extents belonging to each available physical volume in the volume group. (This does not include physical extents belonging to stand-by spare physical volumes; presence of these is only possible if you are using mirrored disks -- see below). Number of physical extents currently allocated to logical volumes. Number of physical extents not allocated (not including physical extents belonging to stand-by spares). Total number of physical volume groups within the volume group. Total number of physical volumes that are designated as spares for this volume group. This will include both stand-by and active spares -- see below. Total number of spare physical volumes that are active in place of (containing all data from) a failed physical volume. Volume Group version. The maximum size of the volume group. The units for this display are determined by a suffix: (megabytes), (gigabytes), (terabytes), (petabytes). For example: 256 terabytes would be 256t. For version 1.0 volume groups, it may not be possible to achieve the VG Max Size as it may be limited by the size of each physical volume in the volume group. The maximum number of extents in the volume group (VG Max Size/PE size). For version 1.0 volume groups, it may not be possible to achieve the VG Max Extents as it may be limited by the size of each physical volume in the volume group. Display With -v Option If you specify the option, lists the following additional information for each logical volume, for each physical volume, and for each phys- ical volume group in the volume group: Information about logical volumes belonging to vg_name: The block device path name of a logical volume in the volume group. State of the logical volume: Logical volume available but contains physical extents that are not current. Logical volume available with no stale extents. Logical volume is not available for use. Size of the logical volume. Number of logical extents in the logical volume. Number of physical extents used by the logical volume. Number of physical volumes used by the logical volume. Information about physical volumes belonging to vg_name: The block device path name of a physical volume in the group. When an alternate link to a physical volume has been added, is dis- played next to the device path name. (See vgextend(1M) for definition.) State of the physical volume: ( spare physical volumes are only relevant if you have installed HP MirrorDisk/UX software): The physical volume is available and is not a spare physical volume. The physical volume is available. However, its data still resides on an active spare. The physical volume is available and is an active spare physical volume. (An active spare is a spare that has taken over for a failed physical volume.) The physical volume is a spare "standing by" in case of a failure on any other physical volume in this volume group. It can only be used to capture data from a failed physical volume. The physical volume is unavailable and is not a spare physical volume. The physical volume is unavailable. However, it's data now resides on an active spare, and its data is available if the active spare is available. The physical volume is unavailable and it's an active spare. Thus, the data on this physical volume is unavailable. The physical volume is a spare "standing by" that is not currently available to capture data from a failed physical volume. Total number of physical extents on the physical volume. Number of free physical extents on the physical volume. If the physical volume represents an active spare, this field will show the name of the failed physical volume whose data now resides on this spare. This information can be used to manually move the data back to the original physical volume once it has been repaired (see pvmove(1M)). If it cannot be determined which physical volume that the data came from, this field will instead display A missing PV would indicate that when the volume group was last activated or reactivated (see vgchange(1M)), the "failed" physical volume was not able to attach to the volume group. If the physical volume represents a failed physical volume, this field will show the name of the active spare physical volume that now contains the data that originally residing on this volume. This information can be used to manually move the data back to the original physical volume (see pvmove(1M)) once it has been repaired. For multiported devices accessed via multiple paths, this field indicates the autoswitch behavior for the physical volume (see pvchange(1M)). LVM will automatically switch from the path it is using whenever a better path to the physical volume is available. LVM will switch paths when a better path recovers (after it had failed earlier), or if the current path fails and another path is available. This is the default. LVM will automatically switch to using the best available path only when the path currently in use is unavailable. LVM will continue using a specific path for the physical volume as long as it works, regardless of whether another better path recovers from a failure. This specifies LVM's proactive polling behavior on alternate paths of a physical volume. LVM will periodically test alternate paths of a physical volume and help to identify faulty paths before user I/O is affected. This is the default. No periodic testing of alternate paths of a physical volume will be performed. Information about physical volume groups belonging to vg_name: Name of a physical volume group in the volume group. The block device path name of a physical volume in the physical volume group. Compact listing (-F Option) The option generates a compact and parsable listing of the command output in colon separated fields formatted as value...]. The option is designed to be used by scripts. The resulting command output may be split across multiple lines. The output may include new keys and/or values in the future. If a key is deprecated, its associated value is set to For the current version of the command, the lines format is: The format of Line 1 is as follows: For volume groups version 2.0 or higher two additional fields are added to the LINE 1 format after the vg_version field. vg_name=value:vg_write_access=value:vg_status=value:max_lv=value: cur_lv=value:open_lv=value:max_pv=value:cur_pv=value:act_pv=value: max_pe_per_pv=value:vgda=value:pe_size=value:total_pe=value: alloc_pe=value:free_pe=value:total_pvg=value:total_spare_pvs=value: total_spare_pvs_in_use=value:vg_version=value:vg_max_size=value: vg_max_extents=value: The format of Line 2 is as follows: cluster:server=value:client=value[:...] The format of Line 3 is as follows: lv_name=value:lv_status=value:lv_size=value:current_le=value: allocated_pe=value:used_pv=value The above line may be repeated with different values. The format of Line m is as follows: pv_name=value[,value]:pv_status=value:total_pe=value:free_pv=value: spared_from_pv=value:spared_to_pv=value:autoswitch=value: proactive_polling=value The above line may be repeated with different values. The format of Line n is as follows: pvg_name=value:pv_name=value[,value...] The above line may be repeated with different values. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Display information about all the volume groups within the system: Display all of the information about one volume group, including the characteristics and status of both the logical and physical extents of the volume group: Display information about all the volume groups within the system that are of version 2.0: SEE ALSO
lvdisplay(1M), lvmadm(1M), pvdisplay(1M), vgchange(1M), vgcreate(1M). vgdisplay(1M)