Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem using grep in bash script Post 302565270 by errcricket on Monday 17th of October 2011 11:52:13 AM
Old 10-17-2011
Thank you otheus. Using your script from the command line works too. As for running the file from the command line...it does not work, but I suspect it has something to do with the execution path. Regardless, I think I am on the correct $Path to solving this problem. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script (using find and grep)

I'm trying to make a simple search script but cannot get it right. The script should search for keywords inside files. Then return the file paths in a variable. (Each file path separated with \n). #!/bin/bash SEARCHQUERY="searchword1 searchword2 searchword3"; for WORD in $SEARCHQUERY do ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in bash script

I have written a script and I get error and I don't understand why. neededParameters=2 numOfParameters=0 correctNum=0 while getopts "s:l:" opt do case "$opt" in s) serviceName= $OPTARG #errorline 1 numOfParameters= $numOfParameters + 1 ;; l) ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Grep

Hi, I am very new to bash scripting and I need to write a bash script that takes two arguments, a string and a file. The output should be each line which matches the string *from the beginning of the line*. For example, given a string "ANA" the line starting with "ANABEL" will be printed, but... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jboy
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep and read function in a BASH Script

I'm putting together a script that will search my mail archives for emails that meet certain criteria and output the files to a text file. I can manually cat that text file and pipe it into sendmail and it will work (i.e. cat /pathtofile/foo.txt | sendmail -t me@company.com) My script sends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to grep doesn't work in bash script

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that checks gvfs to see if a mount exists so I can run it from network-manager's status hooks. I thought I'd pipe the output of gvfs-mount -l to grep for the particular mounts I care about. When I do this in a bash script: cmnd="gvfs-mount -l | grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcstrom
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Bash Script.

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and to the Bash coding scene. I have the following code paths=/test/a paths=/test/b keywords=\"*car*\" keywords=\"*food*\" for file in `find paths -type f -ctime -1 -name keywords -print 2>/dev/null` do #.... do stuff here for every $file found... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with multiple grep in bash loop

Hello, I am trying to create a matrix of 0's and 1's depending on whether a gene and sample name are found in the same line in a file called results.txt. An example of the results.txt file is (tab-delimited): Sample1 Gene1 ## Gene2 ## Sample2 Gene2 ## Gene 4 ## Sample3 Gene3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker2
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Grep in bash script

Hi Experts, I'm writing script to find out last files and its modified date - unfortunately am having problem with the below script. Error message: "grep: sales.txt: No such file or directory" #!/bin/bash var=1 var1=`awk '{n++} END {print n}' sales.txt` while ] do prod=$var... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: parpaa
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep in a loop using a bash script?

Dear all, Please help with the following. I have a file, let's call it data.txt, that has 3 columns and approx 700,000 lines, and looks like this: rs1234 A C rs1236 T G rs2345 G T Please use code tags as required by forum rules! I have a second file, called reference.txt,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aberg
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a BASH script allowing me to grep specifics from /var/log/messages?

I am wondering if there is a script (if one exists, not confident in my own scripting ability) that is able to bring up specified information from the /var/log/messages. I need to show logged traffic on specific dates and times and protocols (ie. Show all insecure FTP traffic (most likely via... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgplayer54
13 Replies
PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)					      General Commands Manual					     PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
pct-scanner-script - easy scan and create merged DjVu and PDF documents for archiving SYNOPSIS
pct-scanner-script [--help] DESCRIPTION
pct-scanner-script is a bash script and configuration system to easily scan documents and create a digital archiving. It can create DjVu PDF and JPEG outputs, in merged and individual files. It also has a configuration system where different configurations can be defined, making it easy to switch between configurations. Please use pct-scanner-script --help to find all program options, the complete help, and all examples. Features: - auto archiving in merged and individual DjVu, PDF, and JPEG files - auto and manual resume when scanning somehow fails - cascading configuration system, for easy customizing - easy command-line-style bash program, with useful options - archiving made possible with both adf and flatbed scanners - built for productivity and daily use - uses bash, scanadf and other mainstream processing tools - multilanguage commandline output OPTIONS
-h, --help, -? Show summary of options, help, and examples. DEBUGGING
This program is a helper script to easy scan and automated digital document archiving for normal and adf scanners. You can debug this script by running it as bash -x pct-scanner-script [options]. The script is just a nice wrapper for the scanadf, DjVu and PDF tools. SEE ALSO
scanadf(1), AUTHOR
pct-scanner-script and this manual page are written by: Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl>. March 31, 2009 PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)