Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Send statistical data via SNMP Post 302565224 by jim mcnamara on Monday 17th of October 2011 10:22:27 AM
Old 10-17-2011
What monitoring tool is on the remote box?

This is what you have to do - for net-snmp. Creating a trap is a way to do this, but setting the trap up in the monitor is not standard.

TUT:snmptrap - Net-SNMP Wiki

The other way means writing C code - MIB

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Send flaged data ..

Hello ! I'm writing a chat program , and I have a curiozity. I'm curently using two ports ( sockets ) for client - server interconections. One socket is used for ordinary ( normal ) data ( Ex : data on main-chat ) , and the another ( two socket ) is used to send management data : ( Ex... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: !_30
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

Send A Snmp Trap

Hi, do you know the syntax to send a snmp trap to a server ? Many htanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: statistical properties

Hi A bash script, after some operations, return with an array. My goal is to calculate some statistical properties (hopefully still in bash) of that array, (like mean, variance, max_value and min_value). For the max, mean and the min it seems work, but for the variance the notation is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

send data with Perl

Hello! I want to sent data (pictures: pic.jpg or textfiles) to a server. The pictures should be stored in \my_pictures\beautiful_images. How can I do it with Perl? I think, that I should start with a socket?? Do you have a tutorial or a site, where I can read about it? I use the IDE Padre /... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: la_dy82
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Sending data from DELL OMSA SNMP and Custom SNMP MIB to same UDP port 161

Hi , Currently DELL OMSA SNMP sends data through default udp port 161.I want my custom SNMP MIB also to send data in the same udp port 161.Whether its possible.If yes where to configure .I tried starting my custom MIB in udp port 161,but it throws port already in use.Kindly guide. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabakar4all
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Sending data from DELL OMSA SNMP and Custom SNMP MIB to same UDP port 161

Hi , Currently DELL OMSA SNMP sends data through default udp port 161.I want my custom SNMP MIB also to send data in the same udp port 161.Whether its possible.If yes where to configure .I tried starting my custom MIB in udp port 161,but it throws port already in use.Kindly guide. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prabakar4all
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending unix timestamp to every line of a statistical file

I have a statistical file populating every minute as below: 2011-11-11-1108 1955 891 2011-11-11-1109 2270 1049 2011-11-11-1110 1930 904 2011-11-11-1111 2030 931 2011-11-11-1112 1944 900 2011-11-11-1113 1922 875 Instead of having the date and time in the given format (2011-11-11-1113) I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinktank
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to transfer all kernel logs (var/log/messages) to the snmp listener as snmp trap

i am working with embedded system -Dell DCS management sub system. my question is as below: currently we are using linux kernel 2.6.30 build and we have a kernel logs stored to the /var/log/messages path. now we have to transfer all this logs to the specified SNMP target as a part of SNMP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipul_prajapati
4 Replies
SNMPTRAP(1)							     Net-SNMP							       SNMPTRAP(1)

NAME
snmptrap, snmpinform - sends an SNMP notification to a manager SYNOPSIS
snmptrap -v 1 [COMMON OPTIONS] AGENT enterprise-oid agent generic-trap specific-trap uptime [OID TYPE VALUE]... snmptrap -v [2c|3] [COMMON OPTIONS] [-Ci] AGENT uptime trap-oid [OID TYPE VALUE]... snmpinform -v [2c|3] [COMMON OPTIONS] AGENT uptime trap-oid [OID TYPE VALUE]... DESCRIPTION
snmptrap is an SNMP application that uses the SNMP TRAP operation to send information to a network manager. One or more object identifiers (OIDs) can be given as arguments on the command line. A type and a value must accompany each object identifier. Each variable name is given in the format specified in variables(5). When invoked as snmpinform, or when -Ci is added to the command line flags of snmptrap, it sends an INFORM-PDU, expecting a response from the trap receiver, retransmitting if required. Otherwise it sends an TRAP-PDU or TRAP2-PDU. If any of the required version 1 parameters, enterprise-oid, agent, and uptime are specified as empty, it defaults to 1.3.6.1.4.1.3.1.1 (enterprises.cmu.1.1), hostname, and host-uptime respectively. The TYPE is a single character, one of: i INTEGER u UNSIGNED c COUNTER32 s STRING x HEX STRING d DECIMAL STRING n NULLOBJ o OBJID t TIMETICKS a IPADDRESS b BITS which are handled in the same way as the snmpset command. For example: snmptrap -v 1 -c public manager enterprises.spider test-hub 3 0 '' interfaces.iftable.ifentry.ifindex.1 i 1 will send a generic linkUp trap to manager, for interface 1. OPTIONS
snmptrap takes the common options described in the snmpcmd(1) manual page in addition to the -Ci option described above. Note that snmptrap REQUIRES an argument specifying the agent to query as described there. SEE ALSO
snmpcmd(1), snmpset(1), variables(5). V5.6.2.1 19 Jun 2003 SNMPTRAP(1)