Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing first and last character of line Post 302565166 by birei on Monday 17th of October 2011 06:47:37 AM
Old 10-17-2011
Hi,

I think all previous solutions remove a leading and trailing blank space if exist. If you want to omit them, try next perl command. One example:
Code:
$ cat infile
monday
  tuesday
wednesday   
        thursday
friday
$ cat -A infile
monday$
  tuesday$
wednesday   $
^Ithursday^I$
friday$
$ sed 's/.\(.\+\).$/\1/' infile
onda
 tuesda
ednesday  
thursday
rida
$ sed 's,^.,,g;s,.$,,g' infile
onda
 tuesda
ednesday  
thursday
rida
$ sed 's/.\(.*\)./\1/' infile
onda
 tuesda
ednesday  
thursday
rida
$ perl -lpe 's/\S//; s/\S(\s*)$//' infile
onda
  uesda
ednesda
        hursda
rida

Regards,
Birei

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing character from list line (at the end)

Hi, I have file as shown below. abc, def, abc, xyz, I have to remove ',' from end of last line (xyz,). How can I do that with single command? Is it possible or I have to iterate through complete file to remove that? - Malay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing new line character

I'm appending header and trailer record for a binary file using echo "$header" > filename cat oldfilename >> filename echo "$trailer" >> filename The echo is introducing newline character after header and trailer.Please let me know is there any possibility to get rid of newline character. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing a character and addending to end in each line in a file

HI i am having a file this (sys19:pnlfct:/pfact/temp>) cat temp_sand 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 I want to make this file as (sys19:pnlfct:/pfact/temp>) cat temp_sand 1456789023 1456789023 1456789023 1456789023 just take the 2nd and 3rd position and put it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character from each line of file

How can I remove the last character from each line of a file? This must be done without "funny" characters, as I want to transfer the code to/from Windows. Any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concat line first and then removing the ^M character

hi Someone can give me some clue or script in writing the below requirement I am having 5 or 10 files of unix files which contain ^M charactes. First we have to find ^M character and concat the line where it has broken and then we have to remove the ^M character from the uxix... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsantoshusa
11 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a character

I need to remove square brackets from output of script. Output is: and I need to remove the square brackets so I am lett with 121 Is sed the only means to do this and if so what are the options? ...ok so far I have managed to get rid of ] by using /usr/bin/sed 's/]//' but that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing last character

Hi, I have a file that has data something like below: A B C D ..... ...... .....and so on I am trying to bring it in one line with comma delimited something like below : A,B,C,D I tried the something below in the code section: cat File.txt | tr '\n' ',' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of a specific line from a file

Hello guys, I would need to remove the last character ")" of a specific line. This can be from any line. Your help is appreciated. Below is the line. HOSTNAME=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)) Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sang8g
6 Replies
MAKE_SOCKDFC(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   MAKE_SOCKDFC(8)

NAME
make_sockdfc - Generates frozen configuratyion file for SOCKS server SYNOPSIS
make_sockdfc [infile [outfile] ] DESCRIPTION
make_sockdfc reads in a plain-text configuration file for the SOCKS server and produces a frozen configuration file as the output. Both arguments are optional. The default for infile is /etc/sockd.conf; the default for outfile is /etc/sockd.fc. You may specify infile while omitting outfile, but you cannot specify outfile without also speficying infile. The contents of the frozen configuration file is essentially the memory image of the parsed input file. Using the frozen configuration file can reduce the start-up delay of the SOCKS server program since it no longer has to parse the file contents. When the SOCKS server starts, it always looks for the frozen configuration file /etc/sockd.fc first. If that file is not found, it then tries to use the plain-text configuration file /etc/sockd.conf. If you use frozen configuration, you must remember to run make_sockdfc every time after you modify the plain-text file or the SOCKS server will continue to use the frozen file of a previous configuration. To find out the contents of a frozen configuration file, use dump_sockdfc. FILES
/etc/sockd.fc, /etc/sockd.conf SEE ALSO
dump_sockdfc(8), sockd.conf(5), sockd.fc(5) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, yingda@best.com or yingda@esd.sgi.com May 6, 1996 MAKE_SOCKDFC(8)