Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking IPV6 very slow, not respecting MTU?? Post 302564794 by jusme on Friday 14th of October 2011 03:43:55 PM
Old 10-14-2011
Solved...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Replaced the vNIC with an E1000 (instead of vmxnet3) and the problem disappears, so yes, it's the driver (or the underlying VMware implementation) that's at fault, not the TCP/IP stack.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to change the MTU in Unix registry?

Does anyone know how to or know of a web page where I can find how to change the MTU speed in Unix registry? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Techie (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Techie_girl
2 Replies

2. Solaris

MTU Value

Hi guys, Do anyone know how to change the MTU value on an interface on Solaris 10 server? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
2 Replies

3. Solaris

MTU setting - solaris 9 how to check??

I need to check the mtu setting on my server, I am told I need to use the ndd command and check the tcp setting tcp_mss_max I have done so and all I can see is the below, tcp_mss_def_ipv4 (read and write) tcp_mss_max_ipv4 (read and write) How can I check the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

4. Solaris

how to find MTU size on solaris.

How do i find the MTU size on solaris, which file to look into. Please help I'm a newbie to administration. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

MTU size

Hi, Just want to ask on how to check and change the MTU size of the nodes from 1500 to 9000? I need to match the MTU size of some cluster nodes which has 1500 to the others with 9000 because they are inconsistent. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: criphaze22
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

AFP mount + Chown/Chgrp respecting

Hello all... Does anyone know how to make an AFP mount of home directories (/Volumes/users off of another server) so that any users doing an ssh login retain write permission to their individual folders, read-write permissions to folders chowned to appropriate group... and so that newly created... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drkdev
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MTU setting for IRIX

Couldn't find an IRIX forum, so I'm posting to this one... Just had our SAs rebuild an IRIX machine and now I need to set the MTU to 1344 (vice 1500 default). I can set it manually using the ifconfig command, but it won't survive a reboot. I made an entry into the /etc/init.d/ifconfig-1.options... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottwevans
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning ipv6 to bonding interface - getting old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig output

Hi, I have created a bonding bond1 interface with 6 Eth , mode=4. Recently i have changed my old ipv6 to new one and tried to restart as well as reload network service. Post which i can see old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig command output. Below are few files and command output for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Set MTU value for ipv6 interfaces

Hi, I am trying to set mtu value for ipv6 interfaces. I know how to set it for ipv4 interfaces ifconfig net1 mtu 1240 Do I need to add any iptype for the above command ? Note: OS:Solaris 10 TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
3 Replies
VMX(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    VMX(4)

NAME
vmx -- VMware VMXNET3 Virtual Interface Controller device SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device vmx Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_vmx_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The vmx driver provides support for the VMXNET3 virtual NIC available in virtual machines by VMware. It appears as a simple Ethernet device but is actually a virtual network interface to the underlying host operating system. This driver supports the VMXNET3 driver protocol, as an alternative to the emulated pcn(4), em(4) interfaces also available in the VMware environment. The vmx driver is optimized for the virtual machine, it can provide advanced capabilities depending on the underlying host operating system and the physical network interface controller of the host. The vmx driver supports features like multiqueue support, IPv6 checksum offloading, MSI/MSI-X support and hardware VLAN tagging in VMware's VLAN Guest Tagging (VGT) mode. The vmx driver supports VMXNET3 VMware virtual NICs provided by the virtual machine hardware version 7 or newer, as provided by the following products: o VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0 and newer o VMware Server 2.0 and newer o VMware Workstation 6.5 and newer o VMware Fusion 2.0 and newer For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). MULTIPLE QUEUES
The vmx driver supports multiple transmit and receive queues. Multiple queues are only supported by certain VMware products, such as ESXi. The number of queues allocated depends on the presence of MSI-X, the number of configured CPUs, and the tunables listed below. FreeBSD does not enable MSI-X support on VMware by default. The hw.pci.honor_msi_blacklist tunable must be disabled to enable MSI-X support. LOADER TUNABLES
Tunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf(5). hw.vmx.txnqueue hw.vmx.X.txnqueue Maximum number of transmit queues allocated by default by the driver. The default value is 8. The maximum supported by the VMXNET3 virtual NIC is 8. hw.vmx.rxnqueue hw.vmx.X.rxnqueue Maximum number of receive queues allocated by default by the driver. The default value is 8. The maximum supported by the VMXNET3 virtual NIC is 16. hw.vmx.txndesc hw.vmx.X.txndesc Number of transmit descriptors allocated by the driver. The default value is 512. The value must be a multiple of 32, and the maxi- mum is 4096. hw.vmx.rxndesc hw.vmx.X.rxndesc Number of receive descriptors per ring allocated by the driver. The default value is 256. The value must be a multiple of 32, and the maximum is 2048. There are two rings so the actual usage is doubled. EXAMPLES
The following entry must be added to the VMware configuration file to provide the vmx device: ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3" SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), em(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), pcn(4), vlan(4), ifconfig(8) AUTHORS
The vmx driver was ported from OpenBSD and significantly rewritten by Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@freebsd.org>. The OpenBSD driver was written by Tsubai Masanari. BSD
March 17, 2014 BSD