Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SWAP SIZE Recommended.
Operating Systems AIX SWAP SIZE Recommended. Post 302564474 by Corona688 on Thursday 13th of October 2011 06:41:46 PM
Old 10-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
If your system has some memory shortage it will start swapping. Once it does so you need the swap space and once this swap space it exhausted (or nearly exhausted) your system will start killing processes - so far, so common.
Wait, what? Linux gets so much flap about its OOM-killer and other UNIX has them too?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of swap

Hy all, i've a little problem with the size of the swap. I've an old solaris machine, with 4Go, and swap is taking 500Mo for only 1% used at any time. So : how can i change this size without problems ????? (ok it may be a stupid question, but it's a real problem when you lose about 1 or 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chang swap size after install

Hello all, I just got a laptop with redhat linux 7.2 installed, but during the installation the installer only put 1gig of sawp space( this laptop has 1gig of RAM). To my understanding when creating swap space, the size is determine by double the RAM. Therefore my question is that how do I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Increasing swap size

We increased our server's RAM 8 -> 32 GB RAM. swap memory is currently 10 GB. With which command I can increase this memory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akyuceisik
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Weird swap size on Solaris 9

I have a machine: SunOS <server> 5.9 Generic_117171-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R It has these filesystems: Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 19G 15G 3.9G 80% / /proc 0K 0K 0K 0% /proc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: son_t
6 Replies

5. Programming

Swap different size string

how can I write a function to swap to different sized string? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

swap memory and original size of HD

few questions a. where can I find the RAM of a server? im about to install redhat on a server (reformat). need to know because it will be my basis for swap size. i saw something line 3048MB detected upon boot. is this the memory? b. what is the command in lunux to check the original size of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Swap size increase

Dear All, How to increase the swap size when physicall memory reaches 60 %. OR it can be only done after the physicall memory is full. Rgds Rj (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Help on Understanding Swap Size

Hi All, I want to know how to understand the actual swap size. My o/p shows as below root@ecovs1a # swap -s total: 4546056k bytes allocated + 358856k reserved = 4904912k used, 5046688k available root@ecovs1a # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/md/dsk/d31 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
9 Replies

9. HP-UX

Determing size of swap space

Hi Experts, Need your advise in determining the size of swap space in of the new HP-Ux server. Server is having 32G of physical memory. Ideally what amout of physical memory should be allocated as a swap space? Following document from HP suggests to have minimum swap space... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
2 Replies

10. Solaris

/tmp size is less whereas size allocated to swap is more

Hi, the /tmp size is less whereas the size allocated to swap is quite big. how to increase the size of /tmp - #: swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/md/dsk/d20 85,20 8 273096 273096 #: swap -s total: 46875128k bytes allocated + 2347188k reserved =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psb74
2 Replies
SWAPON(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SWAPON(2)

NAME
swapon, swapoff - start/stop swapping to file/device SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> #include <asm/page.h> /* to find PAGE_SIZE */ #include <sys/swap.h> int swapon(const char *path, int swapflags); int swapoff(const char *path); DESCRIPTION
swapon sets the swap area to the file or block device specified by path. swapoff stops swapping to the file or block device specified by path. swapon takes a swapflags argument. If swapflags has the SWAP_FLAG_PREFER bit turned on, the new swap area will have a higher priority than default. The priority is encoded as: (prio << SWAP_FLAG_PRIO_SHIFT) & SWAP_FLAG_PRIO_MASK These functions may only be used by the super-user. PRIORITY
Each swap area has a priority, either high or low. The default priority is low. Within the low-priority areas, newer areas are even lower priority than older areas. All priorities set with swapflags are high-priority, higher than default. They may have any non-negative value chosen by the caller. Higher numbers mean higher priority. Swap pages are allocated from areas in priority order, highest priority first. For areas with different priorities, a higher-priority area is exhausted before using a lower-priority area. If two or more areas have the same priority, and it is the highest priority available, pages are allocated on a round-robin basis between them. As of Linux 1.3.6, the kernel usually follows these rules, but there are exceptions. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
Many other errors can occur if path is not valid. EPERM The user is not the super-user, or more than MAX_SWAPFILES (defined to be 8 in Linux 1.3.6) are in use. EINVAL is returned if path exists, but is neither a regular path nor a block device. ENOENT is returned if path does not exist. ENOMEM is returned if there is insufficient memory to start swapping. CONFORMING TO
These functions are Linux specific and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. The second `swapflags' argument was intro- duced in Linux 1.3.2. NOTES
The partition or path must be prepared with mkswap(8). SEE ALSO
mkswap(8), swapon(8), swapoff(8) Linux 1.3.6 1995-07-22 SWAPON(2)