Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash string manipulation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash string manipulation Post 302564332 by Corona688 on Thursday 13th of October 2011 10:59:49 AM
Old 10-13-2011
Code:
OLDIFS="$IFS" ; IFS=";"
        set -- $1
IFS="$OLDIFS"

echo "$1;$2;$3;$4;\"$5\""

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash file manipulation help

Hello, I'm writing a bash script and I have a question. Here's what I'm doing: I have a file called inv.dat which contains the following: B102:Action Figure - Teacher:79 B103:Bike - Purple:23 B104:Baseball:25 B105:Cricket Bat:15 B101:Action Figure - Fireman:15 B100:Flame-Thrower:25 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

Hi all, see i have a script that takes few arguments. first one is command we do on file, next is file (mostly txt file with lot of data) third is destination where we do something with data in file. Since im new in scripting, and im learning as i go, i need some hint how to manipulate that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajemrunner
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string variable manipulation

In a bash script I've set a variable that is the directory name of where an executable lives. the_dir=`dirname $which myscript` which equates to something like "/path/to/dir/bin" I need to cut that down to remove the "bin" so I now have "/path/to/dir/". This sounds easy but as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Witty
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash, help with stdout manipulation.

Hey all, Im kind of lost on how to do what I want so I figured I would ask. I want to pipe STDOUT of an app to a log file, but I want to prepend each line of that output with the date and time. Im drawing a complete blank on how to do this?? Any ideas? i.e. output is currently this:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK manipulation in bash script

EDIT: This has been SOLVED. Thanks! Greetings everyone, I've posted a few threads with some quick help questions, and this is another one of those. I can't post enough gratitude for those much more knowledgeable than myself who are willing to give good advice for my minor issues. Now,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eblue562
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

string manipulation in bash shell

Hi All, I am using a bash shell and want to the following thing. A process sends the following string to my script BACKUP_FAIL_REASON="Failed - Application Dump CDMACA-0:grep: /opt/nortel/ca/data/1245184/sd00/image1/S110907070708HIS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pkumar Sachin
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string manipulation

In my script I'm retrieving a parameter through an API call. I need to trim some things out of the result so I can use it as a parameter to pass to another process. I've got it working but it's pretty kludgy and I'm hoping someone can help me with a better way. This is the code that retrieves... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: withanh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting part of a string : string manipulation

i have something like this... echo "teCertificateId" | awk -F'Id' '{ print $1 }' | awk -F'te' '{ print $2 }' Certifica the awk should remove 'te' only if it is present at the start of the string.. anywhere else it should ignore it. expected output is Certificate (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash array manipulation

seeking assistance on comparing two arrays using bash: array1=(disk1, disk2, disk3, disk5, disk7, vol1, vol2, vol3, vol4, vol5) array2=(disk2, disk5 vol2, vol4 ) 1) if two arrays have same elements; EXIT else populate array3 & array4 with elements that are different between array1 & array2 as:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - file manipulation

I need to change a file like this: John Smith;http://www.profile1.com John Smith;http://www.profile2.com Frank Olsen;http://www.profile3.com Frank Olsen;http://www.profile4.com Into: John Smith;http://www.profile1.com;http://www.profile2.com Frank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies
NDSELECT(1)							   User Commands						       NDSELECT(1)

NAME
ndselect - select lines and fields for numdiff DESCRIPTION
Usage: ndselect -h|--help|-v|--version or ndselect [-b N][-e N][-s N][-F N][-L N][-I N][-S IFS][-x][-l PATH][-o PATH] [FILE] Print to standard output a subset of lines and fields from a given file. The argument after the options is the name of the file to read from. The complete path of the file should be given, a directory name is not accepted. If no input file is specified, the program reads from the standard input. Exit status: 0 in case of normal termination, -1 (255) in case of error -b, --beginning, --start=N Set to N the number of the first line to print (The default behavior is to start with line number 1) -e, --end=N Set to N the number of the last line that can be printed (The default behavior is to arrive till to the end of the file) -s, --step=N Set to N the increment to use when selecting the lines to print (The default value for the increment is 1) -F, --first-field=N Set to N the number of the first field to print (The default behavior is to start with field number 1) -L, --last-field=N Set to N the number of the last field that can be printed (The default behavior is to arrive till to the end of every line) -I, --increment=N Set to N the increment to use when selecting the fields to print (The default value for the increment is 1) -S, --separator=IFS Specify the set of characters to use to split the input lines into fields (The default set of characters is space, tab and newline). -x, --omit-empty-lines Do not print empty lines -l, --warnings-to=PATH Redirect warning and error messages from stderr to the indicated file -o, --output=PATH Redirect output from stdout to the indicated file -h, --help Show this help message -v, --version Show version number, Copyright, Distribution Terms and NO-Warranty COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Ivano Primi <ivprimi@libero.it> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later, see <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for ndselect is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and ndselect programs are properly installed at your site, the command info numdiff should give you access to the complete manual. ndselect 5.6.0 January 2012 NDSELECT(1)