Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware What are the possible action regarding having bad sector in my ext4 root partition? Post 302564287 by jao_madn on Thursday 13th of October 2011 09:00:20 AM
Old 10-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
You might want to save the boot sector somewhere, too.

Code:
# sda being whatever disk your system sees it as.  sda, NOT sda1.
dd if=/dev/sda count=64 > bootsector.backup

And you're sure you don't need any of the other partitions?
Thanks again..

I already backup the MBR and partition table..

In addition to partition table..Can i restore the same partition table to another the same size HD. How about larger from the original..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

boot sector bad? or is is something else?

SuSE 8 Both LILO and GRUB are complaining about not being able to write to the boot sector. Is this definitely a problem with the drive or is there another possible problem? I've checked the BIOS and I don't think the problem is there....it's probably the drive. Just another Linux user (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HumanBeanDip
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the command in Openservr 5.0.4 in recovering from bad sector

Hi, Pls can someone assist me with the command to be use to recover from bad sector in Openserver 5.0.4. This is because during level 0 backup the backup will hang when it gets to the bad sector. Pls contact me ::email removed:: Thanks Kayode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayode
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Reinstall root partition

I had Solaris 8 installed on a Ultra 10 machine but during a shutdown the root partition got corrupted. I have 3 other partitions on the drive (var, swap, home). Is there a way to reinstall the root partition without effecting the other partitions? Also, when I run format from single user mode I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbestor
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Can't metattach root partition

I'm mirroring up a T2000. Able to metainit and metattach all partitions with the exception of root. Getting the following error: metattach: <hostname>; c1t1d0s0; is mounted on / I'm stumped. By the way, target 1 is the boot disk. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Probos
7 Replies

5. Solaris

increasing root / partition

Dear all, I have a root partition which is 20 G in size. I have var and /tmp as seperate file systems. But this 20 G of root is not sufficeint. I want to increase the size of the / partition. Is there any way to increase with out down time. my df -k output is Filesystem ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Root partition filling up

I have a T1000 Sparc server that has a relatively small root partition which is 24Gb and a larger partition dedicated to /export/home that is approximately 100 Gb. We have a lot of data going to /var/audit and to /var/core/corefiles. Is there any non-destructive way to redirect files from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Bad user root in crontab

Hi everyone, I got error which is "!bad user (root)" in crontab... I tried changing password, I checked etc/cron/cron.allow and cron.deny, And also I checked the permissions of my files, its(my crontab script) still not working.... Please help... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
12 Replies

8. Solaris

Need to partition root

Hello guys, I am using Solaris 10 x86 OS. While installing OS i have allocated entire 10 GB space to the root. Now i am not able to create new partition it says me "out of range" or "<cylinder number> not expected". Can someone please help me to allocated a default recommended space i.e 8GB or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav90
2 Replies

9. SCO

Resize root partition

I have SCO Openserver 5.0.5 Root partition is 96% full and I would like to make it bigger. How can this be done? 1) Can I use 'dd' to backup 'root' and then backup '/u' to a third hard disk, then divvy the primary hard disk to have a larger 'root' filesystem (i.e. previous root + u) 2) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grips03
5 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Regarding OS partition and root user

Dear Concern, I am new in ubuntu. Is root user disable in ubuntu? Also, is os partition default in ubuntu? I don't find any feature to create customize mount point to install OS. Below is my current OS partition. amirislam@blnidapp03:~$ df -h Filesystem Size Used... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: makauser
1 Replies
PVCK(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   PVCK(8)

NAME
pvck - check physical volume metadata SYNOPSIS
pvck [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-v|--verbose] [--labelsector] PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume...] DESCRIPTION
pvck checks physical volume LVM metadata for consistency. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. --labelsector sector By default, 4 sectors of PhysicalVolume are scanned for an LVM label, starting at sector 0. This parameter allows you to specify a different starting sector for the scan and is useful for recovery situations. For example, suppose the partition table is corrupted or lost on /dev/sda, but you suspect there was an LVM partition at approximately 100 MB. This area of the disk may be scanned by using the --labelsector parameter with a value of 204800 (100 * 1024 * 1024 / 512 = 204800): pvck --labelsector 204800 /dev/sda Note that a script can be used with --labelsector to automate the process of finding LVM labels. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), pvcreate(8), pvscan(8) vgck(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) PVCK(8)