Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and replace only the first occurance Post 302564167 by suraj.sheikh on Thursday 13th of October 2011 03:59:10 AM
Old 10-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayan_jay
its simple .. wats your try ..
tried this, but didn't work
Code:
sed 's/\(.*\)'$line'/\1/' $file_cases > $file_temp_cases_tmp

also tried
Code:
sed 's/string/replace/' filename

but it replaces all the string

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums.

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-13-2011 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String search - Command to find second occurance

Hi, I am new to Unix world. Is there any command which can directly return the second occurance of a particular string in a file? Basically, I want to read the contents of the file from the second occurance of a particualr string. Can be implemented using a loop, but am just wondering if there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhsinha23
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for a word and it's occurance at the output

hey to everybody this is my first post at this forum I need a very immediate answer for this question. If you can, I will be delightfull I have a file called example.txt and I want to seek for the for hello and learn the number of the occurance of hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: legendofanatoli
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace the n'th occurance in a file

Hi All, How can i replace the n'th occurance in a file. ? I have a property file like EAR;_TrackingEAR;META-INF/application.xml;xml;context-root;1;valeur EAR;_TrackingEAR;META-INF/application.xml;xml;context-root;2;valeur2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace first 5 occurance of a pattern

There is scenario that i have to replace a pattern at the first 5 occurance in a file. say i need to replace 'abc' by 'xyz' at its first 5 occurance in a file a.txt, can anybody help me how it can be done, i can do complete replacement of the pattern using sed throughtout the file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palash2k
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace the last occurance of a match in a file

HI please let me know if there is any command to search and replace only the last occurence of a string in aline. Eg: " This cat is a cat with a tail longer of all cat." I need to replace only the last "cat" in the above line. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harikris614
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to replace second occurance

#original file . . ~ ~ Index=2 xxx replace #dont replace 1st occurance yyy Index=2 xxx replace #substitue replace with "REPLACE" yyy Index=2 xxx replace #substitue replace with "REPLACE" yyy Index=3 xxx replace (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace/delete odd occurance

how to delete/replace the the odd occurance of a pattern say newline character "\n" a,b,c,d e,f g, h, i, j, k, l m,n 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 the output should be a,b,c,de,f g, h, i, j, k, lm,n 1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace every second occurance of a string

I want to replace every 2nd occurance of a string/character from a line. ababacbsbddbsbbcbdbssb i want to replace every s2nd b with @ like below should be like aba@acbs@ddbs@bc@dbss@ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 3rd occurance of SPACE with newline

I have file with SQL output as 0001 firstname1 lastname1 0002 firstname2 lastname2 0003 firstname3 lastname3 0004 firstname4 lastname4 Expected output : 0001 firstname1 lastname1 0002 firstname2 lastname2 0003 firstname3 lastname3 0004 firstname4 lastname4 Let me know if this can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameermohite
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help search and replace the last occurance of match in a file

Hi I want to replace only the last occurance of "union all" in input file with ";" I tried with sed 's/union all/;/g' in my input file, it replaced in all lines of input file Eg: select column1,column2 from test1 group by 2 union all select column1,column2 from test2 group by 2 union all ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: antosr7
9 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)