Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using gsed with cp to sort files in directory - every N file copy to new place Post 302563973 by dgoss on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 02:06:04 PM
Old 10-12-2011
using gsed with cp to sort files in directory - every N file copy to new place

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with some basic piping issues...

I have been able to get in a directory and ls | gsed in order to list every N file for instance:

Code:
ls | gsed -n '2~5p'

The thing is I want to be able to copy the output files to a new directory. Basically directory /all has a bunch of jpegs in there. I need to copy every third one, starting at #2 to /selects.

Can some kind person point me on the way with this. I am on OS X but installing gsed as the OS X sed seems inconsistent with the examples I am using to get the initial output...

THANK YOU

Last edited by radoulov; 10-12-2011 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Copy files from the file to another directory

I have created a file that has list of all the files I want to copy into another directory.Is there a way to do it? Thanks In advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreethik
4 Replies

2. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

3. Solaris

What is the best way to copy data from place to another place?

Dear Gurus, I need you to advice or suggestion about the best solution to copy data around 200-300G from serverA(location A) to serverB(location B). Normally, I will share folder and then copy but it takes too long time(about 2 days). Do you have any suggestion or which way should be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy dir/file from one place to another.

Hello all. I'm not getting the hang of Paths. I have a dir w/files that I want to copy to another dir. Right now I am in the "source" directory. I want to copy it to Ch7. "cp -r source Ch7". Ch7 was already created. 1st msg.: cannot stat `source`: No such file or dir. I typed pwd & got... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regularly copy files to different directory with different file extentions

I have a NAS and I upload my videos to it from time to time. the video format is 3gp but my media player PBO could only play avi. I want to copy these files to different directory and change the extention from 3gp to avi. (yes I want to keep the original version and create a duplicate version with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: momentum
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files listed in text file to new directory

I am trying to write a script that will copy all file listed in a text file (100s of file names) to a new directory Assume script will run with main as current working directory and I know how many files/lines will be in List.txt Im trying to work up a test script using this model Contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IAmTheGrass
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the files in directory and sub folders as it is to another directory.

How to copy files from one directory to another directory with the subfolders copied. If i have folder1/sub1/sub2/* it needs to copy files to folder2/sub1/sub2/*. I do not want to create sub folders in folder2. Can copy command create them automatically? I tried cp -a and cp -R but did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search for a file having a particular character in a particular place in a directory.?

Hi Guys, I want to search for a specific file in a directory which have a "b" letter as the 3rd character in the name of the file. For Example : /abc/efg/ldbjfblkj.sh /abc/efg/erublkd.sh /abc/efg/eibueora.sh /abc/efg/kfvnmnb.sh Since we have 2 files with "b" as a 3rd character in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramod_009
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a file in all directories and place the file in that directory

Hi All, Daily I am getting the updated file. I have to search for this file in all directories and sub directories. If the file existed in a particular directory then move this updated file to that particular directory. If the file is not existed in any of the directories then place this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I custom sort the files in a directory using the filenames in a text file.?

Hi all, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMusunuru
5 Replies
RMGDIFF(1x)															       RMGDIFF(1x)

NAME
rmgdiff - use almost any graphical file difference browser to recursively view the differences between two directories. SYNOPSIS
rmgdiff [-b] [-d] [-g gui] [-n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
rmgdiff is an awk script that works in conjunction with almost any graphical file difference browser. It is known to work with mgdiff, tkdiff, and xdiff. Unless I am mistaken, most of the GUI difference viewers (except for emacs) do not have built-in support for recursing down two directo- ries, but diff does. Based on diff's output, rmgdiff decides when to invoke the graphical difference viewer. In addition, rmgdiff also collates diff's output. As soon as a new difference is encountered in a text file, rmgdiff will print to stan- dard output the name of the file that both directories have in common. It will then start the GUI and block until the user exits. As more text files with differences are found, the GUI will be started up again. In the interim, rmgdiff will keep track of differences in binary (non-text) files. It organizes the binary files as executables, shared libraries, static libraries, object files, and other. Only after all the text files have been displayed will rmgdiff report the binary differences. It also keeps track of files and directories that diff reports as being only in one directory or another. rmgdiff organizes these entries by directory. Thus, files in one directory will be reported in one block, and files that are in the other directory will be reported in a different block. In addition to printing the name of the files that are different, rmgdiff defaults to printing the relevant portion of the output from the file command. This has the unfortunate side-effect of slowing things down; however, I find this information to be invaluable. If you're just looking for a fast way to collate diff's output, try piping it into sort instead. COMMAND LINE OPTIONS
-b Sets the basic reporting mode. In basic mode, rmgdiff reports only file names. It does not report the file types involved. -c By default, files relating to CVS are ignored by rmgdiff. If you want to include CVS files, use this option. -d Sets rmgdiff to print way too much debugging information. -g gui Tells rmgdiff which gui you would like to use for viewing differences. By default, mgdiff is used. You can also set $RMGDIFF_GUI in your environment, but it can be overridden with this option. -n rmgdiff will not invoke the gui. This is useful, if you only want to view the collated output. AUTHOR
Paul Serice (paul@serice.net) RMGDIFF(1x)