Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding text before and after a word Post 302563851 by jayan_jay on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 09:37:47 AM
Old 10-12-2011
Code:
$ awk '{print "before_"$0"_after"}' infile
$
$ perl -pe 's/(.*)/before_$1_after/' infile

This User Gave Thanks to jayan_jay For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text to the end of lines containing a word

I'm new to shell scripting, and need to add a series of commands to the ends of certain lines of text that contain a keyword. Any easy way to do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironwall
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.In that line only one word will be there. pl help:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh Vellanki
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed for adding word

hello i have a file (myfile) contains line as follows /home/mytarget/myproject i want to add a pattern at the end of this line. my pattern is- /.*mk i want like it - /home/mytarget/myproject/*.mk i tried sed like sed 's/$//*.mk/' myfile > newfilename, but not wrking. pls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shailesh_arya
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a word into a file.

Dear friends, I am facing a problem with a flat file, to solve that file i need to add certain character in the file which I am not able to do because of "$" sign in the pattern. Situation is as follows. Flat file has word RMM$CART I want to reple this word by RMM$CART DFD The dollar "$"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help adding a key word search to my script

Hello: I need help adding a key word search to my bash script. I have the following script. My boss whats the user to be able to add a search word e.g. unknown failures for the script to search the logs through and find the instances. I had originally done it so it grepped for unknown... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: taekwondo
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Characters to a Word List

If I had a word list with a large amount of words in it, how would I (using a unix command) add, say, 123 to the end of each word? EDIT: The word list is stored in a large text file. I need a command that applies the ending to each word in the file and saves the result in a new text file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: evillion
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding word in blank space

Hi, var=QSB SBD SDN SGJ SJP SKB SKD SLP SML SNB SRE SRG STP TAJ UMP UNO VKS VND VNS WAH ZRR I have to put *.sql after every word What I did echo $var>/root/file1.sql sed -i 's/ /*.sql /g' file1.sql cat file1.sql Output QSB*.sql SBD*.sql SDN*.sql SGJ*.sql SJP*.sql SKB*.sql... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
9 Replies
makedbm(8yp)															      makedbm(8yp)

Name
       makedbm - make a yellow pages dbm file

Syntax
       makedbm [ -i yp_input_file ] [ -o yp_output_name ] [ -d yp_domain_name ] [ -m yp_master_name ] infile outfile
       makedbm [ -u dbmfilename ]

Description
       The command takes the file specified by the argument infile and converts it to a pair of files in format, namely and Each line of the input
       file is converted to a single record.  All characters up to the first tab or space form the key, and the rest of the line is defined as the
       key's  associated data.	If a line ends with a backslash (), the data for that record is continued onto the next line.	It is left for the
       clients of the yellow pages to interpret the number sign (#); does not treat it as a comment character.	The  infile  parameter	can  be  a
       hyphen (-), in which case reads the standard input.

The  command  is  meant	to  be	used in generating files for the yellow pages service.	The command generates a special entry with the key
       yp_last_modified, which is the date of infile.

Options
       -i     Create a special entry with the key yp_input_file.

-o     Create a special entry with the key yp_output_name.

-d     Create a special entry with the key yp_domain_name.

-m     Create a special entry with the key yp_master_name.  If no master host name is specified, yp_master_name will be set  to	the  local
	      host name.

-u     Undo a file.  That is, print out a file one entry per line, with a single space separating keys from values.

Examples
       The  following  example shows how a combination of commands can be used to make the yellow pages files and from the file.  The percent sign
       (%) signifies the system prompt.

% awk 'BEGIN { FS = ":"; OFS = ""; }
	{ print $1, $0 }' /etc/passwd > ptmp
       % makedbm ptmp passwd.byname
       % rm ptmp

The command creates the file ptmp which is in a form usable by The command uses the ptmp file to create the yellow pages dbm files and  The
       command removes the ptmp file.

See Also
       yppasswd(1yp), dbm(3x), ypmake(8yp)

makedbm(8yp)