Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to remove the target of the symbol link in a shell script Post 302563357 by princelinux on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 04:24:42 AM
Old 10-11-2011
how to remove the target of the symbol link in a shell script

I have a target directory, there are some files and directories in "target_dir".

I have a symbol link: my_link -> <target_dir>

The target directory name is NOT known to the script (because it is varying), while the link name is always fixed.

In a shell script, how to remove both the symbol link and the target directory (including the target directory itself and its content) ?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Registered Symbol in Korn Shell script

When I am trying to write this symbol in shell script ( ® ) I am getting a . ( dot ) instead , does anybody know how to fix it. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacki
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ZIP a soft / symbolic link target

Hey, How can one ZIP the target of a soft/symbolic link in unix (if dodag@ is a symbolic link for the path car/reno/*.*, how can I zip car/reno/*.*, with using only dodag as my reference)? Thxnk you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change target of a symbolic link

Hi, Is it possible to change the target of a symbolic link? What I currently have is: /home/Data1 /home/Data2 /home/Stores In the Stores directory, I did: ln -s /home/Data1 /home/Stores/abc $ pwd /home/Stores $ ls -latr lrwxrwxrwx 1 dandy dandy 46 Feb 12 16:38 abc ->... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dandyrandy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to transfer the files from source to target server.

I need to write a shell script to transfer the files every hour from source - target server. The cron job should be running every hour and shouldn't copy already copied files to the remote server ? I was able to write intial script but not able to get the logic for (in the next run it should... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhirk
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to bin/find w/ -follow without searching both link and target

I am interested in searching links to files not found within a directory, so I use the -follow option. However, the dir may contain links to files that are also found within the dir. That means if I bin/find a bunch of files then search their contents using grep, I get redundant information. An... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevensw
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

$ symbol in sql query in shell script

Hi Team, Can you please help me to resolve this issue. Am unable to use this $ symbol in sql query in the shell script. For Example: # !/bin/sh export USER_NAME=XXX export PASSWORD=YYY export ORACLE_SID=xamdb echo $ORACLE_SID echo " Session Details ..." ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indira_s
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script for displaying the line till the target word

" Script for display sentences with special character" Hi, Could any one share a command how to display a line until my target word. For ex: My file has the content as: select * from db_wrk where col1 < col2 insert into table_name values('1','2','tst','wrk','dev','prod') My target... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaiselvi66
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving the target of a symbolic link

Hello all, On a Solaris box, I am trying to move the target of a symbolic link. Let's say the symbolic link looks like the following: /dir1/dir2/link -> /some/dir/target I would like to know of a simple way to move the target of the symbolic link and not the link itself. I'd like to move... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dollar symbol in Shell Script Variable

Hi, I am working on PGP encryption. I am getting public keys from some file. One of the key has dollar sign in it "$" Example: "abc$123" echo 'passphrase='$passphrase --> Giving correct value abc$123 But if I use $passphrase in PGP command getting Invalid passphrase error. If I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreehari
10 Replies
LN(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     LN(1)

NAME
ln -- make links SYNOPSIS
ln [-fhinsv] source_file [target_file] ln [-fhinsv] source_file ... target_dir DESCRIPTION
The ln utility creates a new directory entry (linked file) which has the same modes as the original file. It is useful for maintaining mul- tiple copies of a file in many places at once without using up storage for the ``copies''; instead, a link ``points'' to the original copy. There are two types of links: hard links and symbolic links. How a link ``points'' to a file is one of the differences between a hard or symbolic link. The options are as follows: -f Unlink any already existing file, permitting the link to occur. -h If the target_file or target_dir is a symbolic link, do not follow it. This is most useful with the -f option, to replace a symlink which may point to a directory. -i Cause ln to write a prompt to standard error if the target file exists. If the response from the standard input begins with the char- acter 'y' or 'Y', then unlink the target file so that the link may occur. Otherwise, do not attempt the link. (The -i option over- rides any previous -f options.) -n Same as -h, for compatibility with other ln implementations, namely GNU coreutils. -s Create a symbolic link. -v Cause ln to be verbose, showing files as they are processed. By default ln makes hard links. A hard link to a file is indistinguishable from the original directory entry; any changes to a file are effective independent of the name used to reference the file. Hard links may not normally refer to directories and may not span file sys- tems. A symbolic link contains the name of the file to which it is linked. The referenced file is used when an open(2) operation is performed on the link. A stat(2) on a symbolic link will return the linked-to file; an lstat(2) must be done to obtain information about the link. The readlink(2) call may be used to read the contents of a symbolic link. Symbolic links may span file systems and may refer to directories. Given one or two arguments, ln creates a link to an existing file source_file. If target_file is given, the link has that name; target_file may also be a directory in which to place the link; otherwise it is placed in the current directory. If only the directory is specified, the link will be made to the last component of source_file. Given more than two arguments, ln makes links in target_dir to all the named source files. The links made will have the same name as the files being linked to. SEE ALSO
link(2), lstat(2), readlink(2), stat(2), symlink(2), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The ln utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -v option is an extension to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A ln utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
October 29, 2007 BSD