Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script stops running after assigning empty string for a variable Post 302563345 by yoyomano on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 03:53:50 AM
Old 10-11-2011
I have managed to use sed instead of grep.

I just change from
Code:
grep -v ^$

to
Code:
sed '/^$/d'

However, I will be really grateful if someone can explain why grep doesn't work.

Thanks a lot in advance.,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script stops running the remaining checks after becoming admin

Hi all, I encountered a problem where my script stops running the remaining checks after becoming an admin that is written within the script. For example: ========================================= #!/bin/sh check 1 # Runs successfully check 2 # Runs successfully /com/bin/admin #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seanchew
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh help assigning specific values to variable in script

Hi - Help needed. I have an input file that looks something like this, but with a lot more entries: A Customer1 B 4500 C 8000 A Customer2 B 6422 C 8922 I need to be able to print details for each customer on one line per customer. ie. if I could print these to a file and then cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change existing variable value only user enters non-empty string.

I haven't checked any installation script to see how this is done.. But I could not even do following simple task. How do I Change existing variable value only when user enteres non-empty string. ? #!/usr/bin/ksh uid="scott" # Assign new value user enters to uid, else leave it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems assigning a string to a variable

Hello everyone, My problem looks quite simple , how to assign a string with spaces and lines "\n" to a variable. I've tried all kind of quoting and is impossible, bash always try to execute the string and never executes a simple assignation. This is part of the code ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trutoman
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to script variable

I am trying to assign the value returned by wc command to a script variale. Code: FILES_NAME='files_list'; NO_OF_FILES =${wc -l $FILES_NAME}`; When the above code is run : it throws the error ${wc -l $FILES_NAME}: The specified substitution is not valid for this command. what is the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

couting occurences of a character inside a string and assigning it to a variable

echo "hello123" | tr -dc '' | wc -c using this command i can count the no of times a number from 0-9 occurs in the string "hello123" but how do i save this result inside a variable? if i do x= echo "hello123" | tr -dc '' | wc -c that does not work...plz suggest..thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Assigning a value to a variable name then running a loop on these values

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could assist me for (what is probably) a very straightforward answer. I have input files containing something like File 1 Apples Apples Apples Apples File 2 Bananas Bananas Bananas Bananas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variable using script

Hi all, I have to write script to make my usual job easy. Basically it involve reading a output of following pattern: crab: ExitCodes Summary >>>>>>>>> 45 Jobs with Wrapper Exit Code : 0 List of jobs:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Assigning an expression to a variable in shell script

i am trying to assign the following expression to a variable in Unix shell script and want to use that variable in some other expression. But unable to get the required thing done. Please help with this.... This is the expression which i want to provide as input the variable date '+%y:%m:%d' |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning any number to the variable in cshell script

Hello Guys, I would like to ask you for a favor. Could you please help me how can I assign any number as the parameter to a, from stdin (-c), in the following command line by using the 'switch' in a script? awk '$8>a {print "File name:" $5,$8}' I would also appreciate if you can share any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Padavan
1 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] < input DESCRIPTION
Clean the input in the manner used by Git for text such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)