Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Korn shell script to sync/move files that are not in use Post 302563319 by MR.bean on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 02:29:54 AM
Old 10-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxn00b
Hello all. This may seem like a dumb/easy question but right now I have a little script I made that uses rsync to sync a directory that has files in it that may or may not be complete files. I want to come up with a better solution for this. What it is is I have a directory lets say /incomplete that has files that could still be downloading or being transferred to that directory. I want to grab files in that /incomplete directory that are complete and move to another directory called /complete. Is there a good way of doing this so that I can only move completed files without corrupting or messing with the files that are not finished transferring to the /incomplete folder? Thanks in advance and I hope that I was clear.
This is more than just using rsync as a form of backup. What you really need is a list of files that are opened and then have rsync to exclude to backup those files. However, files could be opened and/or closed at the point when rsync has compiled a list of files to copy and started the backup process.

A better solution is to generate a list of open files and use snapshot to take a static copy of the entire file system. rsync the files from the static file system to the backup destination. At the end, ensure the opened files are closed and re-backup those files that are opened previously.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lookup between 2 files ( korn shell )

Hi All., i have a problem. I hope i can get some help on this issue here; i have 2 txt files say file1 and file 2 file1 has; WLMT:XXXXXXXX:cp DOLR:YYYYYYY:ascii,unblock WLG:TTTTTTT:dd:73:ascii,unblock MAR:SSSSSS:dd:152:ascii,unblock GGG:QQQQQQQQQQ:112:ascii,unblock EIE:CCCCCCCC:cp... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Korn shell awk use for updating two files

Hi, I have two text files containing records in following format: file1 format is: name1 age1 nickname1 path1 name2 age2 nickname2 path2 file 1 example is: abcd 13 abcd.13 /home/temp/abcd.13 efgh 15 efgh.15 /home/temp/new/efgh.15 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Initializing files to empty in korn shell

hello, i want to know how to initialize a file to an empty one in korn shell scripting? i'm using a file name and building it during a while loop using >>. The problem occurs when the file is not empty before reaching the while loop. therefore, i want to initialize it before the loop to get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to move certain files on scheduled time

Hi Friends, I want a shell script which will move certain .jar files from a specified location (say /publish/content) to (/publish/archive) on every saturday morning 6 am. One more thing to add is that before moving files it must check free space at (/publish/archive), if it is more than 60 %... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek27
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to move files to 3 different folders

Hi guys: I've got this problem, I want to move a bunch of files to 3 different folders, without any specific order, and I'm trying to automatize it with a shell script. I'm a newbie at shell scripting so this is my first try: #!/bin/bash COUNTER=`ls -1 | wc -l` while do ARRAY=(... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wretchedmike
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell remove files question

how do you show each filename in a giving directory and delete the specific file in korn script i was thinking using ls rm ? but i cant make it work (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: babuda0059
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to move files

Hi , I need a simple shell script to move the files from one directory to another directory after every 1 hour..!!! ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SARAL SAXENA
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab using shell script to sync files.

Hi, I developed one shell script where it will sync the files using perforce, #!/bin/bash TERM=linux export TERM clear echo "" $PATH echo "" cd /u/userk/p4/p4_client/TES_DATE echo "" echo "Sync p4 " p4 sync echo "Executing for second time " p4 -u userk -p p4net:161 -c... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell Script to combine Two files in one

Hello All , I am new to this Forum, I am trying to write a script to combine two data files with 1 column in common and others columns are different . File1 Apple 29 tomatao 4 grapes 25 File2 Apple fruit tomatao veg grapes fruit other (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan0119
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies