Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matching string from input to string of file Post 302563251 by Shell_Life on Monday 10th of October 2011 02:06:59 PM
Old 10-10-2011
Is this what you want:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
echo "Enter number:"
read mNbr
mRC=$(egrep -c "${mNbr}" < File)
if [[ "${mRC}" != "0" ]]; then
  echo "Number <${mNbr}> already present."
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search array elements as file for a matching string

I would like to find a list of files in a directory less than 2 days old and put them into an array variable. And then search for each file in the array for a matching string say "Return-code= 0". If it matches, then display the array element with a message as "OK". Your help will be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkbaral
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching a string (zip code) from a list in a separate file

I have a list of postal addresses and I need to pull the records that match a list of zip codes in a separate file. The postal addresses are fixed width. The zip code is located in character position 149-157. Something better than: cat postalfile.txt | grep -f zipcodes.txt would be great. $... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitney
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get matching string pattern from a file

Hi, file -> temp.txt cat temp.txt /home/pradeep/123/a_asp.html /home/pradeep/123/a_asp1.html /home/pradeep/435/a_asp2.html /home/pradeep/arun/abc/a_dfr.html /home/pradeep/arun/123/a_kir.html /home/pradeep/123/arun/a_dir.html .... .... .. i need to get a_*.html(bolded strings... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

input a string and copy lines from a file with that string on it

i have a file1 with many lines. i have a script that will let me input a string. for example, APPLE. what i need to do is to copy all lines from file1 where i can find APPLE or any string that i specify and paste in on file 2 thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: engr.jay
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match string from two file input

Hello all, I have file like this: file 1: aa bb cc dd ee file2: 111 111 111 111 111 111 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find previous string based on an input string?

Hi, I did some research but cannot find the right solution so hopefully someone can help me here. I have a long string format like: VAR=111:aaaa,222:bbb,333:ccc it could be VAR=111:aaa,222:bbb,333:ccc,444:ddd, etc what I looking for is eg. if I give ccc, it will return me 333... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a user input string after matched string in file

i am having file like this #!/bin/bash read -p 'Username: ' uservar match='<color="red" />' text='this is only a test so please be patient <color="red" />' echo "$text" | sed "s/$match/&$uservar\g" so desireble output what i want is if user type MARIA this is only a test so please... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines from file matching a string

I wish to search and delete all lines in /app/Jenkins/deploy.txt having this filename string /app/Jenkins/file2.mrt as entry: I'm using : colon as delimiter in sed command as I'm dealing with file paths. Below is the command I was expecting to work. sed -i ":/app/Jenkins/file2.mrt:d"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)