Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matching string from input to string of file Post 302563243 by a_smith on Monday 10th of October 2011 01:03:33 PM
Old 10-10-2011
contents of file:
Code:
scott
mexico
john
new delhi

im trying to match numbers of above file with input using 'read'

Last edited by Scott; 10-10-2011 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search array elements as file for a matching string

I would like to find a list of files in a directory less than 2 days old and put them into an array variable. And then search for each file in the array for a matching string say "Return-code= 0". If it matches, then display the array element with a message as "OK". Your help will be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkbaral
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching a string (zip code) from a list in a separate file

I have a list of postal addresses and I need to pull the records that match a list of zip codes in a separate file. The postal addresses are fixed width. The zip code is located in character position 149-157. Something better than: cat postalfile.txt | grep -f zipcodes.txt would be great. $... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitney
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get matching string pattern from a file

Hi, file -> temp.txt cat temp.txt /home/pradeep/123/a_asp.html /home/pradeep/123/a_asp1.html /home/pradeep/435/a_asp2.html /home/pradeep/arun/abc/a_dfr.html /home/pradeep/arun/123/a_kir.html /home/pradeep/123/arun/a_dir.html .... .... .. i need to get a_*.html(bolded strings... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

input a string and copy lines from a file with that string on it

i have a file1 with many lines. i have a script that will let me input a string. for example, APPLE. what i need to do is to copy all lines from file1 where i can find APPLE or any string that i specify and paste in on file 2 thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: engr.jay
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match string from two file input

Hello all, I have file like this: file 1: aa bb cc dd ee file2: 111 111 111 111 111 111 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find previous string based on an input string?

Hi, I did some research but cannot find the right solution so hopefully someone can help me here. I have a long string format like: VAR=111:aaaa,222:bbb,333:ccc it could be VAR=111:aaa,222:bbb,333:ccc,444:ddd, etc what I looking for is eg. if I give ccc, it will return me 333... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a user input string after matched string in file

i am having file like this #!/bin/bash read -p 'Username: ' uservar match='<color="red" />' text='this is only a test so please be patient <color="red" />' echo "$text" | sed "s/$match/&$uservar\g" so desireble output what i want is if user type MARIA this is only a test so please... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines from file matching a string

I wish to search and delete all lines in /app/Jenkins/deploy.txt having this filename string /app/Jenkins/file2.mrt as entry: I'm using : colon as delimiter in sed command as I'm dealing with file paths. Below is the command I was expecting to work. sed -i ":/app/Jenkins/file2.mrt:d"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
MAILER(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 MAILER(8)

NAME
mailer - script to warn users about their weak passwords SYNOPSIS
mailer password-files DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the mailer command, which is part of the john package. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. john, better known as John the Ripper, is a tool to find weak passwords of users in a server. The mailer tool is useful to inform users which have been found to be using weak passwords by mail. You should edit the message mailer will send to the users, but remember to copy the script to a safe place before editing it, as it's gen- erally a bad idea to modify things living in /usr. SEE ALSO
john(8), unafs(8), unique(8), unshadow(8). The programs are documented fully by John's documentation, which should be available in /usr/share/doc/john or other location, depending on your system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). John the Ripper and mailer were written by Solar Designer <solar@openwall.com>. The complete list of contributors can be found in the CRED- ITS file in the documentation directory. john June 03, 2004 MAILER(8)