Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting copying file information using awk & grep Post 302562980 by ahamed101 on Sunday 9th of October 2011 12:10:03 PM
Old 10-09-2011
Can you tell me where the data files will be? And where you want to move it?

Following code will check if the data file is present at target folder, if so it will continue with the next file.
Code:
test -f $TARGETPATH/$file_name && continue

--ahamed

---------- Post updated at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:08 AM ----------

You will need to explain the task 1 more with more clarity.
What I have understood is that, there are data files at the source directory, you want take each data file from the source directory and check if it present in the target directory. If not present copy it to target and create a FILE.txt file with rfio://... entry.

--ahamed

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying file names returned from a grep command into another directory

When I do the following : grep -l "string" *, I get a list of file names returned. Is there a way to copy the files returned from the list into another directory ?. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kartheg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep & awk

Hi all, I'm figuring on how to grep only specific data I want below: Bin Total % ----- ------- ----- 1 15 42.9 Bin Total % ----- ------- ----- 2 15 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (gawk) grep & columns

Hi, I'm working with gawk (on DOS) today. A goal is: find a string for-instance '123', cut a line in two columns and write second one. The problem is: command line works OK, awk file doesn't. But I would like to work with file because there are many strings to find. input: line command: awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frajer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying Information from One File to Another File in Shell

Hello, I'm new to scripting and I need help moving text from one file to another file. Here are examples what the files look like. File 1: Ac-223 2.10m A 1 0 0 0 Fr-219 358 9.9000E-01 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamachan414
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep'ing information from a log file on SUN OS 5

Hi Guys, I'm trying to write an script that will be launched by a user. The script will look at a log file and check for alerts with the date (supplied by user) and a machine's hostname (also supplied by the user). I'm trying to get the output formatted just like the log file. The logfile looks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: illgetit
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying the Header & footer Information to the Outfile.

Hi I am writing a perl script which checks for the specific column values from a file and writes to the OUT file. So the feed file has a header information and footer information. I header information isaround107 lines i.e. Starts with START-OF-FILE ....... so on .... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep? - using a file of terms to search another file when the information is on a different line

I have a flat file that looks like this, let's call it Chromosome_9.txt: FT /Gene_Name="Guanyl-Acetylase 9" FT /Gene_Number"36952" FT /Gene_Name="Endoplasmic Luciferase" FT /Gene_Number"36953" FT ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include information in certain columns using grep and awk

HI all, I have data in a file that looks like this: 1 HOW _ NNP NNP _ 3 nn _ _ 2 DRUGS _ NNP NNP _ 3 nn _ _ 3 ACT _ NNP NNP _ 0 null _ _ 4 : _ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / awk / grep to extract information from log

Hi all, I have a query that runs that outputs data in the following format - 01/09/12 11:43:40,ADMIN,4,77,Application Group Load: Name(TESTED) LoadId(5137-1-0-1XX-15343-15343) File(/dir/dir/File.T03.CI2.RYR.2012009.11433350806.ARD) InputSize(5344) OutputSize(1359) Rows(2) Time(1.9960)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
MV(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     MV(1)

NAME
mv -- move files SYNOPSIS
mv [-fiv] source target mv [-fiv] source ... directory DESCRIPTION
In its first form, the mv utility renames the file named by the source operand to the destination path named by the target operand. This form is assumed when the last operand does not name an already existing directory. In its second form, mv moves each file named by a source operand to a destination file in the existing directory named by the directory oper- and. The destination path for each operand is the pathname produced by the concatenation of the last operand, a slash, and the final path- name component of the named file. The following options are available: -f Do not prompt for confirmation before overwriting the destination path. -i Causes mv to write a prompt to standard error before moving a file that would overwrite an existing file. If the response from the standard input begins with the character ``y'', the move is attempted. -v Cause mv to be verbose, showing files as they are processed. The last of any -f or -i options is the one which affects mv's behavior. It is an error for any of the source operands to specify a nonexistent file or directory. It is an error for the source operand to specify a directory if the target exists and is not a directory. If the destination path does not have a mode which permits writing, mv prompts the user for confirmation as specified for the -i option. Should the rename(2) call fail because source and target are on different file systems, mv will remove the destination file, copy the source file to the destination, and then remove the source. The effect is roughly equivalent to: rm -f destination_path && cp -PRp source_file destination_path && rm -rf source_file EXIT STATUS
The mv utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cp(1), rename(2), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The mv utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. The -v option is an extension to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
December 26, 2002 BSD