Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users $$number in the shell or shellscript Post 302562954 by kvmreddy on Sunday 9th of October 2011 06:35:35 AM
Old 10-09-2011
CPU & Memory

Using $$variablename is useful in indirect reference
I'm finding it hard to put into words, but consider this example:

Suppose you want to find last command line argument, how can you find it?

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# echo $#
[root@localhost ~]# echo $3
file3

But with indirect reference you can directly get it.

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# eval echo "\$$#"
file3

Newer bash also support's following format.

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# echo "${!#}"
file3

For more scripts and articles, check bellow link.

http://www.bashscript.blogspot.com/

Last edited by radoulov; 10-09-2011 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell to number and to string

Hello Does the unix korn shell provide a function to convert between number and string data-types regards Hrishy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xiamin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

C-shell command to get system IP number?

Is there a C shell command (or script anyone knows of) that will return the IP number of the system? I know that 'hostname' returns the host name, but I need the IP number, and I cannot assume access to 'nslookup'. :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Splatt
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of parameters to a shell script

Is there any restriction on number of parameters can be passed on to the shell script? I found, after 9th parameter for parameter 10, it is taking parameter 1. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell magic number with a -

In one of our internal scripts (unix.run), I have noticed that the following shebang. #!/bin/sh - for i in test1 test2 test3 ; do . . . Any idea what the - in the magic number stands for ? And what impact does it have on the script ? Continuing on the same script, I have the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read number of arguments in c shell

I am writing script in c shell and using this script to read the command line arguments, but it is not working. Pl. someone let me know what is the problem. #!/bin/csh -f if ($#argv <> 2) then echo "you must give exactly two parameters" else set name1 = $argv ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skumar11
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A perfect number shell program

Here's my work of testing whether a number input is perfect or not.. echo Enter a number read no i=1 ans=0 while do if then ans='expr $ans + $i' fi i='expr $i + 1' done if then echo $no is perfect else echo $no is NOT perfect fi (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyansnow
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to specify number of argument in shell

Hi I am new in shell, I am trying to create a small script that can do exit if a script is executed when argument not 2 #!/bin/sh if ; then echo greater exit 1; elif ; then echo less exit 1; fiit keeps returning me whatever number of argument I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peuceul
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the line number in shell script

I have one text file 1 2 3 a 5 4 4 3 where i want to print the line number while read line do line_no=`awk '{print NR, $0}'` echo 'In line no $line_no' done <$txt_file If i run the above code, it will print 'In line no 1 1 2 3' It prints the line number with the whole... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Squence number manipulation in Shell

Hello Forum, I am receiving a file daily like ASAD but at the end there is a counter like 0012 (4 digits) so my every next file +1 I want to write a control script and check the last sequence number.Let's say If I receive a file ASAD0012 then after receiving this file I wan to say that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cemokam65
5 Replies
GETOPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 GETOPT(1)

NAME
getopt -- parse command options SYNOPSIS
args=`getopt optstring $*` ; errcode=$?; set -- $args DESCRIPTION
The getopt utility is used to break up options in command lines for easy parsing by shell procedures, and to check for legal options. Optstring is a string of recognized option letters (see getopt(3)); if a letter is followed by a colon, the option is expected to have an argument which may or may not be separated from it by white space. The special option '--' is used to delimit the end of the options. The getopt utility will place '--' in the arguments at the end of the options, or recognize it if used explicitly. The shell arguments ($1 $2 ...) are reset so that each option is preceded by a '-' and in its own shell argument; each option argument is also in its own shell argu- ment. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment shows how one might process the arguments for a command that can take the options -a and -b, and the option -o, which requires an argument. args=`getopt abo: $*` # you should not use `getopt abo: "$@"` since that would parse # the arguments differently from what the set command below does. if [ $? != 0 ] then echo 'Usage: ...' exit 2 fi set -- $args # You cannot use the set command with a backquoted getopt directly, # since the exit code from getopt would be shadowed by those of set, # which is zero by definition. for i do case "$i" in -a|-b) echo flag $i set; sflags="${i#-}$sflags"; shift;; -o) echo oarg is "'"$2"'"; oarg="$2"; shift; shift;; --) shift; break;; esac done echo single-char flags: "'"$sflags"'" echo oarg is "'"$oarg"'" This code will accept any of the following as equivalent: cmd -aoarg file file cmd -a -o arg file file cmd -oarg -a file file cmd -a -oarg -- file file SEE ALSO
sh(1), getopt(3) DIAGNOSTICS
The getopt utility prints an error message on the standard error output and exits with status > 0 when it encounters an option letter not included in optstring. HISTORY
Written by Henry Spencer, working from a Bell Labs manual page. Behavior believed identical to the Bell version. Example changed in FreeBSD version 3.2 and 4.0. BUGS
Whatever getopt(3) has. Arguments containing white space or embedded shell metacharacters generally will not survive intact; this looks easy to fix but isn't. Peo- ple trying to fix getopt or the example in this manpage should check the history of this file in FreeBSD. The error message for an invalid option is identified as coming from getopt rather than from the shell procedure containing the invocation of getopt; this again is hard to fix. The precise best way to use the set command to set the arguments without disrupting the value(s) of shell options varies from one shell ver- sion to another. Each shellscript has to carry complex code to parse arguments halfway correcty (like the example presented here). A better getopt-like tool would move much of the complexity into the tool and keep the client shell scripts simpler. BSD
April 3, 1999 BSD