Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting copying file information using awk & grep Post 302562937 by ahamed101 on Sunday 9th of October 2011 04:21:54 AM
Old 10-09-2011
Task 1:
Do you want to print the filenames having the string "data" in the filename with rfio:///castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja/ as prefix into FILE.txt?

And are the files in Task1 and Task2 related in anyway?

And what is the purpose of this?
Code:
awk '{print "$2"$9}' > $2

what are the input arguments to the script?

Task1 is not at all clear! Smilie

--ahamed

---------- Post updated at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:17 AM ----------

Something like this?

Code:
#!/bin/bash

SOURCEPATH=$1
TARGETPATH=$2
search=$3
for file in $SOURCEPATH/*${search}* 
do
        file_name=$(basename $file)
        test -f $TARGETPATH/$file_name && continue
        echo "rfio://$SOURCEPATH/$file_name" >> FILE.txt
        cp $SOURCEPATH/$file_name $TARGETPATH
done

split -10 **.txt chunk
i=0
for file in chunk*
do
    ((i=i+1))
    new_file="datafilename"$i".list"

#sed '/^$/d' $file > $new_file
    #or use the perl command
    perl -0pe 's/\n$//' $file >  $new_file

#to remove the processed file
    rm -rf $file
    echo 'succesful'
done

Everything based on assumptions!

--ahamed

Last edited by ahamed101; 10-09-2011 at 05:43 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying file names returned from a grep command into another directory

When I do the following : grep -l "string" *, I get a list of file names returned. Is there a way to copy the files returned from the list into another directory ?. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kartheg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep & awk

Hi all, I'm figuring on how to grep only specific data I want below: Bin Total % ----- ------- ----- 1 15 42.9 Bin Total % ----- ------- ----- 2 15 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (gawk) grep & columns

Hi, I'm working with gawk (on DOS) today. A goal is: find a string for-instance '123', cut a line in two columns and write second one. The problem is: command line works OK, awk file doesn't. But I would like to work with file because there are many strings to find. input: line command: awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frajer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying Information from One File to Another File in Shell

Hello, I'm new to scripting and I need help moving text from one file to another file. Here are examples what the files look like. File 1: Ac-223 2.10m A 1 0 0 0 Fr-219 358 9.9000E-01 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamachan414
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep'ing information from a log file on SUN OS 5

Hi Guys, I'm trying to write an script that will be launched by a user. The script will look at a log file and check for alerts with the date (supplied by user) and a machine's hostname (also supplied by the user). I'm trying to get the output formatted just like the log file. The logfile looks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: illgetit
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying the Header & footer Information to the Outfile.

Hi I am writing a perl script which checks for the specific column values from a file and writes to the OUT file. So the feed file has a header information and footer information. I header information isaround107 lines i.e. Starts with START-OF-FILE ....... so on .... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep? - using a file of terms to search another file when the information is on a different line

I have a flat file that looks like this, let's call it Chromosome_9.txt: FT /Gene_Name="Guanyl-Acetylase 9" FT /Gene_Number"36952" FT /Gene_Name="Endoplasmic Luciferase" FT /Gene_Number"36953" FT ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include information in certain columns using grep and awk

HI all, I have data in a file that looks like this: 1 HOW _ NNP NNP _ 3 nn _ _ 2 DRUGS _ NNP NNP _ 3 nn _ _ 3 ACT _ NNP NNP _ 0 null _ _ 4 : _ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / awk / grep to extract information from log

Hi all, I have a query that runs that outputs data in the following format - 01/09/12 11:43:40,ADMIN,4,77,Application Group Load: Name(TESTED) LoadId(5137-1-0-1XX-15343-15343) File(/dir/dir/File.T03.CI2.RYR.2012009.11433350806.ARD) InputSize(5344) OutputSize(1359) Rows(2) Time(1.9960)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)