Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users $$number in the shell or shellscript Post 302562895 by yazu on Saturday 8th of October 2011 08:37:58 PM
Old 10-08-2011
Quote:
What does $$number in the shell or shellscript do?
Nothing. It's a make's construction.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell to number and to string

Hello Does the unix korn shell provide a function to convert between number and string data-types regards Hrishy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xiamin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

C-shell command to get system IP number?

Is there a C shell command (or script anyone knows of) that will return the IP number of the system? I know that 'hostname' returns the host name, but I need the IP number, and I cannot assume access to 'nslookup'. :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Splatt
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of parameters to a shell script

Is there any restriction on number of parameters can be passed on to the shell script? I found, after 9th parameter for parameter 10, it is taking parameter 1. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell magic number with a -

In one of our internal scripts (unix.run), I have noticed that the following shebang. #!/bin/sh - for i in test1 test2 test3 ; do . . . Any idea what the - in the magic number stands for ? And what impact does it have on the script ? Continuing on the same script, I have the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read number of arguments in c shell

I am writing script in c shell and using this script to read the command line arguments, but it is not working. Pl. someone let me know what is the problem. #!/bin/csh -f if ($#argv <> 2) then echo "you must give exactly two parameters" else set name1 = $argv ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skumar11
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A perfect number shell program

Here's my work of testing whether a number input is perfect or not.. echo Enter a number read no i=1 ans=0 while do if then ans='expr $ans + $i' fi i='expr $i + 1' done if then echo $no is perfect else echo $no is NOT perfect fi (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyansnow
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to specify number of argument in shell

Hi I am new in shell, I am trying to create a small script that can do exit if a script is executed when argument not 2 #!/bin/sh if ; then echo greater exit 1; elif ; then echo less exit 1; fiit keeps returning me whatever number of argument I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peuceul
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the line number in shell script

I have one text file 1 2 3 a 5 4 4 3 where i want to print the line number while read line do line_no=`awk '{print NR, $0}'` echo 'In line no $line_no' done <$txt_file If i run the above code, it will print 'In line no 1 1 2 3' It prints the line number with the whole... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Squence number manipulation in Shell

Hello Forum, I am receiving a file daily like ASAD but at the end there is a counter like 0012 (4 digits) so my every next file +1 I want to write a control script and check the last sequence number.Let's say If I receive a file ASAD0012 then after receiving this file I wan to say that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cemokam65
5 Replies
UPDATE-DESKTOP-DATABASE(1)				      General Commands Manual					UPDATE-DESKTOP-DATABASE(1)

NAME
update-desktop-database - Build cache database of MIME types handled by desktop files SYNOPSIS
update-desktop-database [-q|--quiet] [-v|--verbose] [DIRECTORY...] DESCRIPTION
The update-desktop-database program is a tool to build a cache database of the MIME types handled by desktop files. The cache database contains the list of MIME types that can be handled by desktop files, as well as, for each MIME type, a list of desktop files that can handle this MIME type. This cache database ease the work of applications that need to find an application that can open a document of a specific MIME type: those applications will not have to parse all the desktop files existing on the system, and can instead parse this cache database. If no DIRECTORY is specified as argument, the desktop files that will be processed are the ones installed in $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications. If both the --quiet and --verbose options are used, then --verbose will be ignored. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -q, --quiet Do not display any information about processing and updating progress. -v, --verbose Display more information about processing and updating progress. NOTES
If an invalid MIME type is met, it will be ignored and the creation of the cache database will continue. The format of the cache database is a simple desktop entry format, with a MIME Cache group, containing one key per MIME type. The key name is the MIME type, and the key value is the list of desktop file that can handle this MIME type. The order of the desktop files found for a MIME type is not significant. Therefore, an external mechanism must be used to determine what is the preferred desktop file for a MIME type. EXAMPLE
Here is a simple example of a cache database: [MIME Cache] application/x-shellscript=gedit.desktop; text/plain=gedit.desktop;gvim.desktop; video/webm=totem.desktop; This cache database is created with three desktop files, each containing a MimeType key: gedit.desktop: MimeType=text/plain;application/x-shellscript; gvim.desktop: MimeType=text/plain; totem.desktop: MimeType=video/webm; FILES
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications/mimeinfo.cache This file is the cache database created by update-desktop-database. BUGS
If you find bugs in the update-desktop-database program, please report these on https://bugs.freedesktop.org. FREEDESKTOP.ORG UPDATE-DESKTOP-DATABASE(1)