Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: For loop with wildcards
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers For loop with wildcards Post 302562820 by h@foorsa.biz on Saturday 8th of October 2011 12:19:21 PM
Old 10-08-2011
If you are using bash , You can prevent this filename expansion by turning off globbing set -o noglob.
let me check for ksh and I'll post here again when i put my hands on something.
This User Gave Thanks to h@foorsa.biz For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Makefile wildcards

Using a makefile I want to compile all .c files in the current directory without specifying them directly and then link their associated .o files into a library. How do I do this ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcscott
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards and quoting

Hi All In a script, I want a user to enter 4 characters, these can be a mix of letters (uppercase and lowercase) and numbers. In this example $var represents what the user has entered. eg $var can be A9xZ, 3DDL, bbHp .........etc I need to check that the user has only entered characters... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and wildcards

Hi guys, a small problem today, I'm grepping a log file containing lines like this below: Mar 09 16:04:00 blabla Mar 09 16:04:02 blabla Mar 09 16:04:05 blabla Mar 09 16:04:15 blabla Mar 09 16:05:06 blabla Mar 09 16:05:23 blabla Mar 09 16:05:25 blabla ... in this file I'm grepping... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lomic
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ln -s accept wildcards?

Does ln -s accept wildcards? It doesn't seem like it is working when I use wildcards. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcards and exceptions

Hello: I have a very basic question. I'd like to select all files except for one file. For example, say I want to move all of the files in my current directory to a subdirectory called archive, I would use mv ./* archive/ But what if I want to move all files except for README.txt? Is there an... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny.Boy
19 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)