Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and restore
Operating Systems AIX Backup and restore Post 302562772 by rbatte1 on Saturday 8th of October 2011 07:44:09 AM
Old 10-08-2011
Assuming that this is AIX, you define the PP size when creating/restoring the volume groups. There are a few issues to consider though:-
  1. Have you got a mirrored rootvg?
    . If so, then you have a problem. It will require two disks to restore to and create the mirrors. You cannot stop this without serious hacking before the backup is taken.
    . If you are not mirrored on the live server then you could lose the server with a single disk failure. Smilie Generally on a system with 10 local disks, you can expect a failure on one of them every 3 years. Fewer disks I suppose means there are less to go wrog, so perhaps a lesser risk (arguable) but then you have much more chance of it being catastrophic. Do you feel lucky? Smilie
  2. Is your rootvg definition up to date?
    . Make sure you run mkszfile before the mksysb to ensure that the defintion is recreated. If you don't and fileystems have been grown, then it is possible that the data will not fit in based on the old definition.
  3. How are you restoring your datavg?.
    You can either use savevg to grab the lot, or you can use savevg to save just the structure, allowing you to use a bespoke backup or 3rd party software to backup the data. The same issues over mirrors a sufficient disks to recover to exist. There are options to work on removing mirrors as I have this issue too in that live server is local mirrored disk, DR is SAN provided disks, so RAID behind the scenes means I do not need AIX mirrors.

Can you describe a bit more what you have and/or need. Smilie

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot restore a TAR backup

I backed up a unix database using "tar -cvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800 /*" Normally I would restore this using "tar -xvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800" This is reporting an error about "not enough memory" I have done a new test backup and restore using the same commands and they work. ANY IDEAS ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ross.Goodman
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Backup / restore

Hi.... everyone could help me to understand how to do a backup of my servers .. operating systems is sun solaris 8 . I have some question about .... 1) Is better backup phisical disk or partition ??? i sow the command is ufsdump 0cfu /expbck/bcksunver/c0t0d0s5 dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
4 Replies

3. AIX

Backup and restore

I have several H80 machines, all with AIX 4.3.3. On these machines I have mksysb running for rootvg backups and savevg for non-rootvg backups. I'm trying to get a list of files on the tapes, but I can't seem to do it with tar for the mksysb images. I keep getting the directory checksum errors?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uXion
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

F-Backup restore

Hello! i have a blank harddrive and a complete tape backup of the workstation. the backup is made with F-Backup. Now my question is: how can i restore my workstation? thanks for every idea! paul tittel hup-si (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paultittel
3 Replies

5. AIX

How to restore from mksysb backup

system is not booting ... i want to restore from mksysb backup. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup/restore scripts

hi people i am in need of some assistance here hoping to star a linux course in january to wanted to get some experiance before starting so got a hold of some old assessments from a mate at college so just working through them in my spare time for the past 8 weeks or so and this is the final ? that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boabbyrab
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup and restore in unix

Hello everybody, i am trying to make a script in UNIX to backup some compressed files to a tape drive. The thing is that i cannot use cpio command because some of these files are greater than 2GB. so i think the only solution left is backup command. to restore the files i should use the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Zpool backup and restore

hi, my requirement goes something like this: In current setup, we have SPARC server running Solaris10 5/08. Out of 3 HDD available, 2 HDD (other than root) were zpool-ed and 3 zones were created. Now, we have bought a new server with similar H/W config and planning to move the zones... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Backup / Restore

Hi, I need to back up a RH file system (96G). The files are oracle .dbf format some of which are 5G in size. I know that tar has got a size restriction of 2G so I cannot use this. Can anyone recommend an alternative way of backuping up this FS? I have been looking at dump but this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
6 Replies

10. AIX

Backup and restore query

I have some old directories and files that I which to archive off. I have created archive using -p option with /usr/sbin/backup to a file. If I then do a du -g on the original directory and the archive differ as I'd expect due to using the p flag to compress the files < 2gb as part of the backup. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gefa
1 Replies
volrecover(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volrecover(8)

NAME
volrecover - Performs volume recovery operations SYNOPSIS
/sbin/volrecover [-g diskgroup] [-sb] [-o options] [volume | medianame...] OPTIONS
Options that can be specified to volrecover are: Starts disabled volumes that are selected by the operation. Volumes will be started before any other recovery actions are taken. Volumes will be started with the -o delayrecover start option. This requests that any opera- tions that can be delayed in starting a volume will be delayed. In other words, only those operations necessary to make a volume available for use will occur. Other operations, such as mirror resynchronization, attaching of stale plexes and subdisks, and recovery of stale RAID5 parity will normally be delayed. Performs recovery operations in the background. With this option, volrecover will put itself in the back- ground to attach stale plexes and subdisks, and to resynchronize mirrored volumes and RAID5 parity. If this is used with -s, volumes will be started before recovery begins in the background. Performs no recovery operations. If used with -s, volumes will be started, but no other actions will be taken. If used with -p, the only action of volrecover will be to print a list of startable volumes. Prints the list of selected volumes that are startable. For each startable volume, a line is printed containing the following information: the volume name, the disk group ID of the volume, the volume's usage type, and a list of state flags pertaining to mirrors of the volume. State flags and their meanings are: One of the mirrors was detached by an I/O failure One of the mirrors needs recovery, but the recovery is related to an administrative operation, not an I/O failure Neither kdetach nor stale is appropriate for the volume. Displays information about each task started by volrecover. For recovery operations (as opposed to start operations), a completion status is printed when each task completes. Displays commands that volrecover would execute without actually executing them. Lim- its operation of the command to the given disk group, as specified by disk group ID or disk group name. If no volume or medianame operands are given, all disks in this disk group will be recovered; otherwise, the volume and medianame operands will be evaluated relative to the given disk group. Without the -g option, if no operands are given, all volumes in all imported disk groups will be recovered; otherwise, the disk group for each medianame operand will be determined based on name uniqueness within all disk groups. Passes the given option argu- ments to the -o options for the volplex att and volume start operations generated by volrecover. An option argument of the form pre- fix:options can be specified to restrict the set of commands that the -o option should be applied to. Defined prefixes are: Applies to all invocations of the volume utility (volume starts, mirror resynchronizations, RAID5 partity rebuilds, and RAID5 subdisk recoveries) Applies to all invocations of the volplex utility (currently used only for attaching plexes) Applies specifically to plex attach operations applies specifically to volume start operations Applies to subdisk recoveries Applies to mirror resynchronization and RAID5 parity recovery DESCRIPTION
The volrecover program performs plex attach, RAID5 subdisk recovery, and resynchronize operations for the named volumes, or for volumes residing on the named disks (medianame). If no medianame or volume operands are specified, the operation applies to all volumes (or to all volumes in the specified disk group). If -s is specified, disabled volumes will be started. With -s and -n, volumes are started, but no other recovery takes place. Recovery operations will be started in an order that prevents two concurrent operations from involving the same disk. Operations that involve unrelated disks will run in parallel. EXAMPLES
To recover, in the background, any detached subdisks or plexes that resulted from replacement of a specified disk, use the command: # volrecover -b medianame If you want to monitor the operations, use the command: # volrecover -v medianame SEE ALSO
volintro(8), volplex(8), volume(8) volrecover(8)