Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Can top show more than 100% in %MEM? Post 302562714 by rmueller58 on Friday 7th of October 2011 07:50:51 PM
Old 10-07-2011
I have 4 procs on an HP/UX box, generally CPU idle is how top is displayed

If the CPU idle goes below 10% you are in trouble, if it hit 0% expect to deal with system dump

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference in Mem usage ?

Hi All, I have a pair of sun ultra 5_10 with SunOS 5.5.1. Both are almost equally patched and set up with simillar applications. host# uname -a SunOS host 5.5.1 Generic_103640-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10 Even though both have same amount of RAM ( 512 Mb ) , ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibz
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Top 'user' reaches 100% many times

Actually, I have 2 questions. At this moment I am running a site which has a lot of visitors. The current server has some problems with running, and I'dd like to see if I can optimize the code to prevent having to upgrade the server. At this moment if I type 'top' on the unix server I see a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wexxl
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find top 100 files and move them

i have some 1000 files in my dir and i want to find top 100 files and move them to some other location: below the 2 commands i used, but it is not working ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -100 | xargs mv destination - _________>not working ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -100 | xargs mv {}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

4. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is max MEM% in top command?

HI, When i use the top command in Linux I get the below values. PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND What is the maximum MEM% that will occur. I got once 303% . Is it possible to get such a high value. Regards, Ahamed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Mem Details

<A href="mailto:root@sssdpmds01$"> root@sssdpmds01$ prstat -a PID USERNAME SIZE RSS STATE PRI NICE TIME CPU PROCESS/NLWP 13831 ogw 2613M 2108M cpu12 0 0 277:43:27 3.9% java/1201 4312 ogw 2641M 2092M sleep 59 0 562:45:51 2.1% java/1235 4469 ogw ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Physical and Free mem on TOP command

Hi, When I run the free command on solaris, I get the following: "Memory: 60G phys mem, 69G free mem" Q: how cna the free mem be higher then the physical mem?:confused: Amit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Top 5 cpu and Mem consuming process and files and suggestion for health check

I am middle of writing health check scripts, can you pls share commands on how I can get cpu and Mem of top consuming process info at the moment? Also can u suggest ideas on what all I can look for as a part do health check on red hat Linux server? I searched on site before posting, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varja
2 Replies
XtAppAddWorkProc()														XtAppAddWorkProc()

XtAppAddWorkProc - register a procedure to be called when the event loop is idle.

Synopsis
  XtWorkProcId XtAppAddWorkProc(app_context, proc, client_data)
	 XtAppContext app_context;
	 XtWorkProc proc;
	 XtPointer client_data;

Inputs
  app_context
	    Specifies the application context.

proc	    Specifies the procedure that is to be called when the application is idle.

client_data
	    Specifies data to be passed to proc when it is called.

Returns
  A handle of type XtWorkProcId that can be passed to XtRemoveWorkProc() to unregister the work procedure.

Description
  XtAddWorkProc()  registers  the  procedure proc and the data client_data to be called by XtAppNextEvent() or XtAppProcessEvent() when there
  are no pending input events and it would otherwise block.  Multiple work procedures can be registered, and the most recently added  one  is
  always  the  one  that  is called.  However, if a work procedure itself adds another work procedure, the newly added one has lower priority
  than the current one.

A work procedure returns a Boolean.  If it returns True, it will automatically be unregistered and will not be called again.	If it returns
  False it will be called the next time the application is idle.  See XtWorkProc(2) for more information.

Usage
  XtAppAddWorkProc() implements a limited form of background processing.  Most applications spend most of their time waiting for input; to do
  useful work during this idle time, you can register a work procedure that will run when the application is idle.

A work procedure must return quickly or the application will not be able to promptly respond to user events.	If a large task needs  to  be
  done	in  the background, the work procedure should periodically save its state and return False.  Work procedures should not be used to do
  frivolous work in the background.  In a multi-tasking system, an idle application should generally actually be idle, and not steal CPU time
  from other processes.

A work procedure can be explicitly removed by calling XtRemoveWorkProc() with the XtWorkProcId returned by this function.

Structures
  The XtWorkProcId type is defined as follows:

typedef unsigned long XtWorkProcId;

See Also
  XtAppNextEvent(1), XtAppProcessEvent(1), XtRemoveWorkProc(1),
  XtWorkProc(2).

Xt - Event Handling														XtAppAddWorkProc()