Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Cleaning tape frequence for DDS Post 302562526 by h@foorsa.biz on Friday 7th of October 2011 07:48:53 AM
Old 10-07-2011
Of course wear and tear effects and tape itself hitting the read/write heads

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

from dos dir a: to similar to a dds tape?

is it possible to see what is in a dds tape? like in dos, we can write dir a: to see the contents of it? thanks PS : actually, i came from a DOS background. so most of the time, i will try to relate unix to dos. of course, dos never came close to unix. but unix is like many instances of dos... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DDS Tape Drives

How do I find if a server contains a DDS3 or a DDS2 drive remotely ? I checked in SMIT and I noticed the description field according to tape drives, but is there another more thorough way? Thanks, Luke (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skywlkr235
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partitioning DDS Tapes

Does anyone know how to partition 4mm DDS tapes in any flavor of UNIX besides HP-UX? My HP-UX box died and I have bunch of backup tapes with two partitions on them and I can't figure out how to read the second partition using other kinds of UNIX. Thanks in advance, Darren (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhaverstick
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Partitioning DDS Tapes

Does anyone know how to partition 4mm DDS tapes in any flavor of UNIX besides HP-UX? My HP-UX box died and I have bunch of backup tapes with two partitions on them and I can't figure out how to read the second partition using other kinds of UNIX. Thanks in advance, Darren (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhaverstick
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DDS-2 Sun tape drive

Hey guys, I'm trying to mount a SUN DDS-2 tape drive on a SUN Ultra 80 machine running Solaris 9. I had the SCSI drive connected at time of install, I'm very new to Solaris so I don't know if Solaris would detect the drive like that and install some form of device driver. But, what im posting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Copy Tape Drive DDS-01.

Hello, I am trying to copy a boot tape DDS-01 with miniroot, but i donīt get this copy. i have already used the command dd, but donīt work. There are other way to get it. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: carelias
0 Replies

7. SCO

Tape drive cleaning

Hello everyone, First, thank you anyone who might be able to help : ) !! here it is, I am using SCO at my business, and I back up everything to a tape drive. I want to do my cleaning of the drive, and i put in the cartridge to the drive, it recognizes it yet it will not engage the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardHeadd
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP Unix 10.20 DDS Tape Driver Corruption

Dear Experts and Advanced User, I encounter a rare problem as mentioned above. I am not able to read the tape cartridge using the following command: #dd if=/dev/rmt/0mnb ibs=16k | tar tvf - It will prompt me with the message saying DD I/O error, broken pipe; everytime the above command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stufftiger
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with DDS data tape

Hi all I have BIG headache with an old unix server I have and I need some help and ideas how to solve them effectively. Thanks in advance ***Story*** I have an OLD SCO OpenServer 5 release 5 server with DDS4 tape device. I also have a box full of DDS4 tapes with data inside. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaos83_2000
3 Replies

10. AIX

Testing the dds tape drive on AIX

Hi I need to make some restore tapes for our old AIX systems I have purchased some DDS2 tapes and cleaning tapes The tape drive is rmt0 what commands can I enter to run the cleaning tape through the drive and are the any commands I can enter to test these drives prior to using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmacher
2 Replies
tcopy(1)							   User Commands							  tcopy(1)

NAME
tcopy - copy a magnetic tape SYNOPSIS
tcopy source [destination] DESCRIPTION
The tcopy utility copies the magnetic tape mounted on the tape drive specified by the source argument. The only assumption made about the contents of a tape is that there are two tape marks at the end. When only a source drive is specified, tcopy scans the tape, and displays information about the sizes of records and tape files. If a des- tination is specified, tcopy makes a copies the source tape onto the destination tape, with blocking preserved. As it copies, tcopy pro- duces the same output as it does when only scanning a tape. The tcopy utility requires the use of Berkeley-compatible device names. For example, example% tcopy /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/2b ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mt(1), ioctl(2), attributes(5) NOTES
tcopy will only run on systems supporting an associated set of ioctl(2) requests. SunOS 5.11 10 Mar 2000 tcopy(1)