Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Cleaning tape frequence for DDS Post 302562498 by h@foorsa.biz on Friday 7th of October 2011 05:46:28 AM
Old 10-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by petervg
Hi All,

Are there recommendations about the use of cleaning tapes in DDS devices?

Should I clean the tape only when the drive indicates cleaning? Should I clean it once a month, week, even every day?

Is it harmful to clean the tape every day?

Thanks for your insights.

--Peter
Quote:
Are there recommendations about the use of cleaning tapes in DDS devices?
To get better results track the number of cleans ( usually vendor recommends a 50 time of clean as a life time for a cleaning tape ) save them in a dry place with no sunlight or any electro magnetic fields.

Quote:
Should I clean the tape only when the drive indicates cleaning? Should I clean it once a month, week, even every day?
I always clean when the drives needs cleaning.

Quote:
Is it harmful to clean the tape every day?
Yes, but it depends on your drive condition.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

from dos dir a: to similar to a dds tape?

is it possible to see what is in a dds tape? like in dos, we can write dir a: to see the contents of it? thanks PS : actually, i came from a DOS background. so most of the time, i will try to relate unix to dos. of course, dos never came close to unix. but unix is like many instances of dos... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DDS Tape Drives

How do I find if a server contains a DDS3 or a DDS2 drive remotely ? I checked in SMIT and I noticed the description field according to tape drives, but is there another more thorough way? Thanks, Luke (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skywlkr235
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partitioning DDS Tapes

Does anyone know how to partition 4mm DDS tapes in any flavor of UNIX besides HP-UX? My HP-UX box died and I have bunch of backup tapes with two partitions on them and I can't figure out how to read the second partition using other kinds of UNIX. Thanks in advance, Darren (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhaverstick
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Partitioning DDS Tapes

Does anyone know how to partition 4mm DDS tapes in any flavor of UNIX besides HP-UX? My HP-UX box died and I have bunch of backup tapes with two partitions on them and I can't figure out how to read the second partition using other kinds of UNIX. Thanks in advance, Darren (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhaverstick
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DDS-2 Sun tape drive

Hey guys, I'm trying to mount a SUN DDS-2 tape drive on a SUN Ultra 80 machine running Solaris 9. I had the SCSI drive connected at time of install, I'm very new to Solaris so I don't know if Solaris would detect the drive like that and install some form of device driver. But, what im posting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Copy Tape Drive DDS-01.

Hello, I am trying to copy a boot tape DDS-01 with miniroot, but i donīt get this copy. i have already used the command dd, but donīt work. There are other way to get it. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: carelias
0 Replies

7. SCO

Tape drive cleaning

Hello everyone, First, thank you anyone who might be able to help : ) !! here it is, I am using SCO at my business, and I back up everything to a tape drive. I want to do my cleaning of the drive, and i put in the cartridge to the drive, it recognizes it yet it will not engage the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardHeadd
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP Unix 10.20 DDS Tape Driver Corruption

Dear Experts and Advanced User, I encounter a rare problem as mentioned above. I am not able to read the tape cartridge using the following command: #dd if=/dev/rmt/0mnb ibs=16k | tar tvf - It will prompt me with the message saying DD I/O error, broken pipe; everytime the above command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stufftiger
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with DDS data tape

Hi all I have BIG headache with an old unix server I have and I need some help and ideas how to solve them effectively. Thanks in advance ***Story*** I have an OLD SCO OpenServer 5 release 5 server with DDS4 tape device. I also have a box full of DDS4 tapes with data inside. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaos83_2000
3 Replies

10. AIX

Testing the dds tape drive on AIX

Hi I need to make some restore tapes for our old AIX systems I have purchased some DDS2 tapes and cleaning tapes The tape drive is rmt0 what commands can I enter to run the cleaning tape through the drive and are the any commands I can enter to test these drives prior to using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmacher
2 Replies
DH_CLEAN(1)							     Debhelper							       DH_CLEAN(1)

NAME
dh_clean - clean up package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_clean [debhelperoptions] [-k] [-d] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_clean is a debhelper program that is responsible for cleaning up after a package is built. It removes the package build directories, and removes some other files including debian/files, and any detritus left behind by other debhelper commands. It also removes common files that should not appear in a Debian diff: #*# *~ DEADJOE *.orig *.rej *.SUMS TAGS .deps/* *.P *-stamp It does not run "make clean" to clean up after the build process. Use dh_auto_clean(1) to do things like that. dh_clean (or "dh clean") should be the last debhelper command run in the clean target in debian/rules. FILES
debian/clean Can list other files to be removed. OPTIONS
-k, --keep This is deprecated, use dh_prep(1) instead. -d, --dirs-only Only clean the package build directories, do not clean up any other files at all. -Xitem --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being deleted, even if they would normally be deleted. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. file ... Delete these files too. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_CLEAN(1)