Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Better and efficient way to reverse search a file for first matched line number. Post 302562455 by rdcwayx on Friday 7th of October 2011 01:13:47 AM
Old 10-07-2011
Code:
vStart='Started'; myLog=abc.log
awk -vn=$vStart '$0~n{print NR;exit}' $myLog

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for the matched pattern by tracing back from the line

Hi, I want to grep the line which has 'data11'.then from that line, i need to trace back and find out the immediate line which has the same timestamp of that grepped line. for eg: log file: ----------- Process - data Process - datavalue - 2345 Process - data Process - data Process... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharmila_P
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse search a text file from a specified line

Hello All, I have a following task that I need to accomplish through a script or program and I am looking for some help as I have exhausted my ideas. 1. given: a text file with thousands of lines 2. find: pattern A in file and get line number ( grep -n works) 3. find: the first occurence of... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: PacificWonder
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match a line in File 1 with Column in File 2 and print whole line in file 2 when matched

Hi Experts, I am very new to scripting and have a prb since few days and it is urgent to solve so much appreciated if u help me. i have 2 files file1.txt 9647810043118 9647810043126 9647810043155 9647810043161 9647810043166 9647810043185 9647810043200 9647810043203 9647810043250... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustafa.abdulsa
22 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I break line in a file when a pattern is matched ?

Hi All, I am stuck for quite sometime now. Below is a line in my file - GS|ED|001075|001081|20110626|1806|100803|X|004010ST|130|100803001 This line occurs only once and it is the second line. I have to break this line into two lines from ST (bold) such that it looks like -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ihussain
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an efficient way to search for a tag in an xml file having millions of rows

Hi, I have an XML file with around 1 billion rows in it and i am trying to find the number of times a particular tag occurs in it. The solution i am using works but takes a lot of time (~1 hr) .Please help me with an efficient way to do this. Lets say the input file is <Root> ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheel
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - use search keywords from array and search a file and print 3rd field when matched

Hi , I have been trying to write a perl script to do this job. But i am not able to achieve the desired result. Below is my code. my $current_value=12345; my @users=("bob","ben","tom","harry"); open DBLIST,"<","/var/tmp/DBinfo"; my @input = <DBLIST>; foreach (@users) { my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient way to search array in text file by awk

I have one array SPLNO with approx 10k numbers.Now i want to search the subscriber number from MDN.TXT file (containing approx 1.5 lac record)from the array.if subscriber number found in array it will perform below operation.my issue is that it's taking more time because for one number it's search... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string inside a pattern matched block of a file

How to grep for searching a string within a begin and end pattern of a file. Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baishali
8 Replies
NOTMUCH-SEARCH(1)					      General Commands Manual						 NOTMUCH-SEARCH(1)

NAME
notmuch-search - Search for messages matching the given search terms. SYNOPSIS
notmuch search [options...] <search-term>... DESCRIPTION
Search for messages matching the given search terms, and display as results the threads containing the matched messages. The output consists of one line per thread, giving a thread ID, the date of the newest (or oldest, depending on the sort option) matched message in the thread, the number of matched messages and total messages in the thread, the names of all participants in the thread, and the subject of the newest (or oldest) message. See notmuch-search-terms(7) for details of the supported syntax for <search-terms>. Supported options for search include --format=(json|text) Presents the results in either JSON or plain-text (default). --output=(summary|threads|messages|files|tags) summary Output a summary of each thread with any message matching the search terms. The summary includes the thread ID, date, the num- ber of messages in the thread (both the number matched and the total number), the authors of the thread and the subject. threads Output the thread IDs of all threads with any message matching the search terms, either one per line (--format=text) or as a JSON array (--format=json). messages Output the message IDs of all messages matching the search terms, either one per line (--format=text) or as a JSON array (--format=json). files Output the filenames of all messages matching the search terms, either one per line (--format=text) or as a JSON array (--for- mat=json). tags Output all tags that appear on any message matching the search terms, either one per line (--format=text) or as a JSON array (--format=json). --sort=(newest-first|oldest-first) This option can be used to present results in either chronological order (oldest-first) or reverse chronological order (new- est-first). Note: The thread order will be distinct between these two options (beyond being simply reversed). When sorting by oldest-first the threads will be sorted by the oldest message in each thread, but when sorting by newest-first the threads will be sorted by the newest message in each thread. By default, results will be displayed in reverse chronological order, (that is, the newest results will be displayed first). --offset=[-]N Skip displaying the first N results. With the leading '-', start at the Nth result from the end. --limit=N Limit the number of displayed results to N. --exclude=(true|false|flag) Specify whether to omit messages matching search.tag_exclude from the search results (the default) or not. The extra option flag only has an effect when --output=summary In this case all matching threads are returned but the "match count" is the number of matching non-excluded messages in the thread. SEE ALSO
notmuch(1), notmuch-config(1), notmuch-count(1), notmuch-dump(1), notmuch-hooks(5), notmuch-new(1), notmuch-reply(1), notmuch-restore(1), notmuch-search-terms(7), notmuch-show(1), notmuch-tag(1) Notmuch 0.13.2 2012-06-01 NOTMUCH-SEARCH(1)