Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using SED with variable to replace strings in while loop Post 302562445 by ahamed101 on Friday 7th of October 2011 12:16:41 AM
Old 10-07-2011
Code:
Var="Today Breakfast"
sed "/<Catg>/a\<Unit><Data :Value=\"String\">${Var}</Data></Unit>" input_file

--ahamed

---------- Post updated at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:12 PM ----------

Code:
sed '...' input_file | sed "..."

--ahamed

---------- Post updated at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:14 PM ----------

Code:
sed '/^<.*>[ ]*$/{d};s/food/Catg/g;s/<[^<].*>\(.*\)<\/.*>/<Unit><Data :Value="String">\1<\/Data><\/Unit>/g ' input_file 
| sed "/<Catg>/a\<Unit><Data :Value=\"String\">${Var}</Data></Unit>"

--ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get lines started with matched strings using sed or grep for loop?

I have a huge file and want to separate it into several subsets. The file looks like: C1 C2 C3 C4 ... (variable names) 1 .... 2 .... 3 .... : 22 .... 23 .... I want to separate the huge file using the column 1, which has numbers from 1 to 23 (but there are different amount of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMBER
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Strings with sed or awk

Hello i need some help with the usage of sed. Situation : 2 textfiles, file.in , file.out In the first textfile which is called file.in are the words for the substitution. Every word is in a new-line like : Firstsub Secondsub Thridsub ... In the second textflie wich is called file.out is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingbruce
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace two character strings by two variables with sed command

Hello, I want to writte a script that replace two character strings by two variables with the command sed butmy solution doesn't work. I'm written this: sed "s/TTFactivevent/$TTFav/g && s/switchSLL/$SLL/g" templatefile. I want to replace TTFactivevent by the variable $TTFav, that is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: POPO10
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed search&replace between two strings

Hi, i read couple of threads here on forum, and googled about what bugs me, yet i still can't find solution. Problem is below. I need to change this string (with sed if it is possible): This is message text that is being quoted to look like this: This is message text that is being quotedI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angrybb
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace two different strings?

Hey everyone! Simple question - I am trying to use sed to replace two different strings. As it stands I can implement this as: sed -i 's/TIMEOUT//g' sed -i 's/null//g' And it works. However, is it possible to shrink that down into a single command? Will there be any performance benefits? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace strings if NOT found

Dear expert, I need an urgent help. I would like to update my /etc/ntp.conf file using sed. 1) if script find this string "127.127.1.0" then add the lone below #server 127.127.1.0 2) is script find this string "fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10" then add #fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
7 Replies

7. Programming

How to replace the complex strings from a file using sed or awk?

Dear All, I am having a requirement to find the difference between 2 files and generate a discrepancy report out of it as an html page. I prefer using diff -y file1 file2 since it gives user friendly layout to know any discrepancy in the record and unique records among the 2 file. Here's how it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Badhrish
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Find and Replace Text Between Two Strings or Words

I am looking for a sed in which I can recognize all of the text in between two indicators and then replace it with a place holder. For instance, the 1st indicator is a list of words "no|noone|havent" and the 2nd indicator is a list of punctuation ".|,|!".From a sentence such as "noone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed find 2 strings and replace one

Hi Everyone, I want to find this 2 strings in a single line a file and replace the second string. this is the line i need to find <param name="user" value="CORE_BI"/> find user and CORE_BI and replace only CORE_BI with admin so finally the line should look like this. <param... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shajay12
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and lossless replace strings using sed?

Hello, I would like to replace all occurencies of long data types by others (coresponding int) using 'sed' in the extensive source code of a software package written for 32 bit CPUs. I must use regular expressions to avoid wrong replacements like s/unsigned]+long/ulong/gLeaving out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mick P. F.
2 Replies