Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with grep & count in ksh Post 302562357 by Green_Star on Thursday 6th of October 2011 03:22:33 PM
Old 10-06-2011
Thanks Scrutinizer.

But the grep does not give me the count of words present in the file.

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:19 PM ----------

I used this to test what it does
Code:
var=`nawk '{n+=gsub("esdev","",tolower($0))}END{print n}' $path`
echo value is $var

the echoed value is 5 for the following file
Quote:
No.esDEV.Queue|No.Receive.Queue|||n|120|No_User||No_User|
No.Send.Queue|No.Receive.Queue|||n|120|No_User||No_User|

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting using count, grep and count

Hi, I trying to sort information in a file by making count for every object. For example: A B A D A B C i would like to sort out count for each object (A's, B's and etc) but in actual case i dont know the object but i know the position ofthe object. do i need to use array as well? Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhpal_78
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between grep, egrep & grep -i

Hi All, Please i need to know the difference between grep, egrep & grep -i when used to serach through a file. My platform is SunOS 5.9 & i'm using the korn shell. Regards, - divroro12 - (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divroro12
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

combination between || and && in IF condition with ksh

Dear All, Please advice about this issue. when i run this line in a script if && || && || && if i enter $x = test3 and $y = test1 the If condition apply while it should not Best Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep char count & pipe to sed command

Hi I am having a 'grep' headache Here is the contents of my file: (PBZ,CP,(((ME,PBZ,BtM),ON),((ME,((PBZ,DG),(CW9,PG11))),CW9,TS2,RT1))) I would like to count out how many times 'PBZ' occurs and then place that number in the line above 3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Grep & find & while read line in a script

Hello people! I would like to create one script following this stage I have one directory with 100 files File001 File002 ... File100 (This is the format of content of the 100 files) 2012/03/10 12:56:50:221875936 1292800448912 12345 0x00 0x04 0 then I have one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abv_mx81
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines and use if then ksh

I try to count number of lines of a data.txt file and then if number of lines is greater than 1 then email me the file. I could not find what is wrong with my code, hope you can point out the mistake i made #! /bin/ksh count =`cat /from/file/data.txt | wc -l` if ]; then mailx -s... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Split String into smaller substrings based on count

KSH HP-SOL-Lin Cannot use xAWK I have several strings that are quite long and i want to break them down into smaller substrings. What I have String = "word1 word2 word3 word4 .....wordx" What I want String1="word1 word2" String2="word 3 word4" String3="word4 word5" Stringx="wordx... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)?

Hi Please can you help how do I count the number of specific characters or words that appear in a file? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count & Result

Hi All. I'm trying to count with command cat Count.log |sort -t 1 | uniq -c Input File. Back-end Invalid Id Password Back-end Invalid Id Password Success Success Success Back-end Invalid Id Password Back-end User state is invalid Back-end User state is invalid Success... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies
File::Queue(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  File::Queue(3pm)

NAME
File::Queue - Persistent FIFO queue implemented in pure perl! SYNOPSIS
use strict; # always! use File::Queue; my $q = new File::Queue (File => '/var/spool/yourprog/queue'); $q->enq('some flat text1'); $q->enq('some flat text2'); $q->enq('some flat text3'); # Get up to first 10 elements my $contents = $q->peek(10); my $elem1 = $q->deq(); my $elem2 = $q->deq(); # empty the queue $q->reset(); DESCRIPTION
This module allows for the creation of persistent FIFO queue objects. File::Queue only handles scalars as queue elements. If you want to work with references, serialize them first! The module was written with speed in mind, and it is very fast, but it should be used with care. Please refer to the CAVEATS section. Interface File::Queue implements a OO interface. The object methods and parameters are described below. Methods File::Queue supports all of the queue-related functions a developer should expect. o new() Instantiates your File::Queue object. Parameters are described in the next sub-section. o enq() Enqueues a string element to the queue. o deq() Dequeues a string element from the queue, and returns the element. If the queue is empty, nothing is returned. o peek(n) Returns an arrayref containing the next n elements in the queue. If the queue size is less than n, all elements are returned. If the queue is empty, an empty arrayref is returned. o reset() Emptys the queue. o close() Closes the filehandles belonging to the queue object ('.dat' and '.idx'). o delete() Deletes the files belonging to the queue object ('.dat' and '.idx'). Parameters There are a number of parameters that can be passed when constructing your File::Queue objects. Parameters are case-insensitive. o File (required) File::Queue creates two files using this parameter as the base. In the case of the example in the SYNOPSIS, the two files are '/var/spool/yourprog/queue.dat' and '/var/spool/yourprog.idx'. The '.dat' file holds all of the data, the '.idx' file holds the byte index (pointer) of the starting point of the first element in the queue. o Mode (optional) The file bit mode to be shared by both the '.dat' and '.idx' files. Defaults to '0600'. o Seperator (optional) The character or byte sequence that is used to seperate queue elements in the '.dat' file. It should be something you can guarantee will NEVER appear in your queue data. Defaults to the newline character. o BlockSize (optional) This is the size of the byte chunks that are pulled at each iteration when checking for the end of a queued element. Defaults to 64, which will be fine for most cases, but can be tweaked or tuned for your specific case to squeeze out a few extra nanoseconds. CAVEATS
This module should never be used in situations where the queue is not expected to become empty. The '.dat' file is not truncated (emptied) until the queue is empty. Even the data you've already dequeued remains in the '.dat' file until the queue is empty. If you keep enqueueing elements and never FULLY dequeue everything, eventually your disk will fill up! SEE ALSO
Tie::File AUTHOR
Jason Lavold <jlavold [ at ] gmail.com> perl v5.10.0 2008-12-22 File::Queue(3pm)