Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ssh and redirection
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ssh and redirection Post 302562258 by Corona688 on Thursday 6th of October 2011 11:14:22 AM
Old 10-06-2011
Putting that in quotes instead of quote tags means when I try and quote you, the error message disappears. Use code tags for code.

"no askpass program" means it needs to ask you for a password and can't because it's not in a terminal. Run it in a terminal.

---------- Post updated at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygemici
where is redirection sign?
Code:
# ssh -t newuser@server  "sudo -u user1 echo -n > /var/spool/mail/user1"

This won't work, again, because the redirection happens before the sudo. The shell doesn't have permissions to overwrite the file, and will fail to redirect into it.

---------- Post updated at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:12 AM ----------

Perhaps:

Code:
ssh -t newuser@server echo "': > /var/spool/mail/user1'" '|' sudo -u user1 /bin/sh

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help with redirection

Here is my problem. I don't know make this redirection thing work. The output file (called output.c) looks like this #include<stdio.h> int main() { int k; int m; print f("%d\n", k); printf("%d\n", m); return 0; } the input file(called input.c) is this #include<stdio.h> int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shallon1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection

Hi, The code below works, it's a part of a bash shell script that serve to search a pattern $pattern_da_cercare in the files contained in a directory $directory_iniziale. Now the proble is: How can I redirect stderr to a file? PS: so I want to redirect ALL the errors to a file. I tryed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Redirection

Hi Guys, I m new to UNIX and new to this forum. Was wondering if someone can help me understand redirection (standard input output pipeline etc) for starters, not too sure what this would mean who | sort > sortedfile | pr | lp im starting to understand common commands but when throwing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmack123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double redirection

Hi to all. It's possible with a single line redirect to stdout and to a file a echoed string? I need something like this: echo "Pizza" >/tmp/file (and same time print to stout "Pizza")... What can i do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mendez
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I/O redirection

Hello everyone,I'm reading a book and there's code fragment: exec 3>&1 ls -l 2>&1 >&3 3>&- | grep bad 3>&- exec 3>&- It says that the red part of that code does not close fd 3 but the green does close the fd 3.I can't understand that.....Why?Any predicate will be appreciated.:) (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection

Hello All, I am using the below script to gather various tools running by the user, we have more than 100 tools running on the server so my challenge is to redirect memory & cpu load to the file with the name of the tool.so am using the below script i am stucking how to redirect to the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about different redirection

explain the redirections 1>, 2>, 3>, ..... and 1< ,2<,3<..... where we use these things thanks Thread moved from AIX forum (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH file redirection is not maintaining format

Hi, I'm running a script which would ssh to various ssh-trust enabled servers and get a list of packages installed. The output of this command would be redirected to a file ssh -q $i 'rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}\t\t,%{ARCH}\t\t,%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\t\t,%{INSTALLTIME:date}\n'|sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ssh script to validate ssh connection to multiple serves with status

Hi, I want to validate ssh connection one after one for multiple servers..... password less keys already setup but now i want to validate if ssh is working fine or not... I have .sh script like below and i have servers.txt contains all the list of servers #/bin/bash for host in $(cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeram4
3 Replies
RSH(1)							      General Commands Manual							    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh - remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-n] [-l username] host [command] host [-n] [-l username] [command] DESCRIPTION
Rsh connects to the specified host, and executes the specified command. Rsh copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally terminates when the remote command does. The remote username used is the same as your local username, unless you specify a different remote name with the -l option. This remote name must be equivalent (in the sense of rlogin(1)) to the originating account; no provision is made for specifying a password with a com- mand. If you omit command, then instead of executing a single command, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. Thus the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the localfile localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" otherremotefile appends remotefile to otherremotefile. OPTIONS
-l username Specify the remote user name. -n Connect standard input of the remote command to /dev/null. Do this if rsh should not inadvertently read from standard input. SEE ALSO
rcp(1), rlogin(1), rhosts(5). BUGS
You cannot run an interactive command (like rogue(6) or vi(1)); use rlogin(1). 4.2 Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 RSH(1)