Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help identify string using sed Post 302562206 by unxscorob on Thursday 6th of October 2011 10:03:58 AM
Old 10-06-2011
try grep.
Code:
sed -n 's/.*\([Pp][Ss]_.*\) .*/\1/p' x.x | sort -u | grep "vw$"

or the following, pardon my lack of sed knowledge as this might not be correct but worked on my test system.
Code:
sed -n 's/.*\([Pp][Ss]_.*[Vv][Ww]\) .*/\1/p' x.x | sort -u

Last edited by unxscorob; 10-06-2011 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: adding more content
This User Gave Thanks to unxscorob For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed : identify a pattern and append a word at the end of a line

Hello to all, On aix, I want to identify a term on a line in a file and then add a word at the end of the line identified. I do not want the word to be added when the line contains the symbol "#". I use the following command, but it deletes the term identified then adds the word. #sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to identify the line number containing a particular "string"

Hi, I have a log file, where i am required to identify the line number, where a particular string/line appears in the log file. And then copy 200 lines above that line number to a new file. Can someone provide pointers on how to write this script or what command to be used ? Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kk2202
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Script to identify the line number containing a particular "string"

Hi, I have a log file, where i am required to identify the line number, where a particular string/line appears in the log file. And then copy 200 lines above that line number to a new file. Can someone provide pointers on how to write this script or what command to be used ? Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kk2202
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use Regex to identify / format a complex string

First of all, please have mercy on me. I am not a noob to programming, but I am about as noob as you can get with regex. That being said, I have a problem. I've got a string that looks something like this: Publication - Bob M. Jones, Tony X. Stark, and Fred D. Man, \"Really Awesome Article... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: egill
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to identify particular section using sed?

Hi, I have following data in a file. Not all but most of the lines start with letter 'T' has 8 SPACES from column 121 to 128 and I want to replace that portion with some dummy value. Is it possible through sed? Input File:- T1111111111111A 20140310000000005076358416369283 AAAAA ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify exact text and then add a blank line above it using sed?

I need to identify the exact text of San Antonio Generator Running in the output my script which lands to a text file. Once SED finds the specific text, I need it to insert one line above the matched text. Here is what I have so far that isn't working all that well for me. Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to identify delimiter to find and replace a string with sed?

I need to find and replace a date format in a SQL script with sed. The original lines are like this: ep.begin_date, ep.end_date, ep.facility_code, AND ep.begin_date <= '01-JUL-2019' ep.begin_date, ep.end_date, ep.facility_code, AND ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
15 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)