Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: run cmd based on input
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting run cmd based on input Post 302562076 by holyearth on Wednesday 5th of October 2011 10:38:30 PM
Old 10-05-2011
oh I got it...thats what I wanted was to define a function....I'll test that out...

Thanks!

---------- Post updated at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:47 PM ----------

Thanks, works like a charm now!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: cmd output to input of another script

I want to write a script in KSH that takes the output of one command and redisplays it. Something like: while true do read inpt date +"%I:%M:%S %p <-> $inpt" done and then some how get the output of the ping command to redirect to the input of this script. does that make sense? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMTheNachoMan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

open terminal to run cmd using shell script

i want the shell script to open the terminal and in that terminal i want to run a command specified in the script... how can it be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrabhushan
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to take input from cmd line into file

Hi, I want to be able to write a simple program that takes in input from the command line. I;m am at the level of getchar and putchar. Any examples would be a great help thanks. I intend/prefer also to use the pipe command | eg: input | file1 ---------- Post updated at 04:08 PM ----------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metros
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to input the return value (1 or 0) ping cmd to a variable

Hi I would like to ask about my plan script I have this several workstation want to monitor and execute a command without logging it we use "rsh $host "<command>" i create csh script using foreach to loop my several workstation, my problem with the rsh command is if it encounter a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

input URL into cmd with a alias

I want to run wget "URL" -SO /dev/null 2>&1 | grep "HTTP/\\|Age:\\|Last-Modified:" but I want a alias so I can just type mywget and the URL and it will put the url in the right place and give me the output that I want without having to type that over and over again.:wall: I am newbie to all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: splitradius
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing input into a cmd line that's waiting for a response

Hi, I am writing a little script to update a parameters on JMQ. however the JMQ requires a "y" confirmation to be input as part of the cmd I am running. However I want run this script to offline with no input from a user. it works if a I create a file with with just y in it and pass that in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shropshirehobbi
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

has no rc.local in /etc, how to auto run cmd in the boot process?

Hi I want to run some cmd before the linux boot up and I want to let it run before sshd service start, any helps? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different cmd to execute and based on some pattern parse it and then store result in xlx format

Hi I have a different requirement, I need to run some application on my device from a file app_name.txt one by one which is like this: /usr/apps/email /usr/apps/message /usr/apps/settings after each app while it is running I need to execute again one cmd like ps -ef |grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev Roy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
IDLE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IDLE(1)

NAME
IDLE - An Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python SYNTAX
idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] [ file ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] ( -c cmd | -r file ) [ arg ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] - [ arg ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the idle command. This manual page was written for Debian because the original program does not have a manual page. For more information, refer to IDLE's help menu. IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python. IDLE is based on Tkinter, Python's bindings to the Tk widget set. Features are 100% pure Python, multi-windows with multiple undo and Python colorizing, a Python shell window subclass, a debugger. IDLE is cross-plat- form, i.e. it works on all platforms where Tk is installed. OPTIONS
-h Print this help message and exit. -n Run IDLE without a subprocess (see Help/IDLE Help for details). The following options will override the IDLE 'settings' configuration: -e Open an edit window. -i Open a shell window. The following options imply -i and will open a shell: -c cmd Run the command in a shell, or -r file Run script from file. -d Enable the debugger. -s Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP before anything else. -t title Set title of shell window. A default edit window will be bypassed when -c, -r, or - are used. [arg]* and [file]* are passed to the command (-c) or script (-r) in sys.argv[1:]. EXAMPLES
idle Open an edit window or shell depending on IDLE's configuration. idle foo.py foobar.py Edit the files, also open a shell if configured to start with shell. idle -est "Baz" foo.py Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP, edit foo.py, and open a shell window with the title "Baz". idle -c "import sys; print sys.argv" "foo" Open a shell window and run the command, passing "-c" in sys.argv[0] and "foo" in sys.argv[1]. idle -d -s -r foo.py "Hello World" Open a shell window, run a startup script, enable the debugger, and run foo.py, passing "foo.py" in sys.argv[0] and "Hello World" in sys.argv[1]. echo "import sys; print sys.argv" | idle - "foobar" Open a shell window, run the script piped in, passing '' in sys.argv[0] and "foobar" in sys.argv[1]. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHORS
Various. 21 September 2004 IDLE(1)