Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing a Perl Script that processes multiple files Post 302561920 by Corona688 on Wednesday 5th of October 2011 02:02:47 PM
Old 10-05-2011
I keep forgetting perl doesn't have continue. That's annoying, it has everything else you could think of...

Code:
for($N=1; $N<=22; $N++)
{
        $name=sprintf("/path/to/250.1chr%d.ped", $N);
        if(!open(FILE, "<${name}"))
        {
                print STDERR "Couldn't open ${name}\n";
        }
        else
        {
                close(FILE);
        }
}

As for the 'requires explicit package name', I don't get that at all. Depending on what options you've selected you may need to declare variables before using them but I can't see that from here. Please show the rest of your code.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining Multiple files in one in a perl script

All, I want to combine multiple files in one file. Something like what we do on the commad line as follows -> cat file1 file2 file3 > Main_File. Can something like this be done in a perl script very efficiently? Thanks, Rahul. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple processes writing on the same file simultaneously

Hi All, I have encountered a problem,please help me. I have a script in which multiple processes are writing on to the same file . How should I stop this , I mean lock mechanism can be implemented or we can write the at different files and then concatenate the files. What would be a better... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sayantan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on multiple files

I have a script that runs on one file (at a time). like this: $> perl myscript.pl filename > output How can I run it on >6000 files and have the output sent out into slightly modified file name $> perl myscript 6000files> output6000files.new extension Thanks in anticipation (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aritakum
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script on files in multiple directories

Hi, I want to run a Perl script on multiple files, with same name ("Data.txt") but in different directories (eg : 2010_06_09_A/Data.txt, 2010_06_09_B/Data.txt). I know how to run this perl script on files in the same directory like: for $i in *.txt do perl myscript.pl $i > $i.new... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a for loop that processes multiple input files

I would like to write a for loop that does the following: I have a file called X.txt and other files called 1.txt,2.txt, .....,1000.txt. I want to substitute the 6th column of the file X.txt with 1.txt and store the output as X.1. Then I want to do the same with X.txt and 2.txt and store the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to manipulate a script and store it in multiple output files

I have a script where the the 9th line looks like this: $filename=sprintf("250.1chr%d.ped", $N); I want to modify this script 1000 times, changing 250.1chr%d.ped to 250.2chr%d.ped, 250.3chr%.ped.......and so on all the way to 250.1000chr%d.ped and store each output in files called ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to process multiple input files by a shell script

I have multiple input files that I want to manipulate using a shell script. The files are called 250.1 through 250.1000 but I only want the script to manipulate 250.300 through 250.1000. Before I was using the following script to manipulate the text files: for i in 250.*; do || awk... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I do one liner import multiple custom .pm files in my perl script?

I am new for Perl I want to ask one question. I have around 50 custom packages which i am using in my Perl script. I want to import all .pm packages in my Perl script in an easy way. Right now i have to import each package individually. So Is there any way to do so?? Right Now i am doing like: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a script to print the number of lines in multiple files

Hi I have 1000 files labelled data1.txt through data1000.txt. I want to write a script that prints out the number of lines in each txt file and outputs it in the following format: Column 1: number of data file (1 through 1000) Column 2: number of lines in the text file Thanks! (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run perl script on multiple files of two directories?

Hi I have 100 files under file A labled 1.txt 2.txt.....100.txt(made up name) I have 1 files under file B labled name.txt How can i run the same perl script on 100 files and file name.txt I want to run perl script.pl A/1.txt B/name.txt perl script.pl A/2.txt B/name.txt ....... perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
3 Replies
diagnostics(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  diagnostics(3pm)

NAME
diagnostics - Perl compiler pragma to force verbose warning diagnostics splain - standalone program to do the same thing SYNOPSIS
As a pragma: use diagnostics; use diagnostics -verbose; enable diagnostics; disable diagnostics; Aa a program: perl program 2>diag.out splain [-v] [-p] diag.out DESCRIPTION
The "diagnostics" Pragma This module extends the terse diagnostics normally emitted by both the perl compiler and the perl interpreter, augmenting them with the more explicative and endearing descriptions found in perldiag. Like the other pragmata, it affects the compilation phase of your program rather than merely the execution phase. To use in your program as a pragma, merely invoke use diagnostics; at the start (or near the start) of your program. (Note that this does enable perl's -w flag.) Your whole compilation will then be sub- ject(ed :-) to the enhanced diagnostics. These still go out STDERR. Due to the interaction between runtime and compiletime issues, and because it's probably not a very good idea anyway, you may not use "no diagnostics" to turn them off at compiletime. However, you may control their behaviour at runtime using the disable() and enable() methods to turn them off and on respectively. The -verbose flag first prints out the perldiag introduction before any other diagnostics. The $diagnostics::PRETTY variable can generate nicer escape sequences for pagers. Warnings dispatched from perl itself (or more accurately, those that match descriptions found in perldiag) are only displayed once (no duplicate descriptions). User code generated warnings ala warn() are unaffected, allowing duplicate user messages to be displayed. The splain Program While apparently a whole nuther program, splain is actually nothing more than a link to the (executable) diagnostics.pm module, as well as a link to the diagnostics.pod documentation. The -v flag is like the "use diagnostics -verbose" directive. The -p flag is like the $diag- nostics::PRETTY variable. Since you're post-processing with splain, there's no sense in being able to enable() or disable() processing. Output from splain is directed to STDOUT, unlike the pragma. EXAMPLES
The following file is certain to trigger a few errors at both runtime and compiletime: use diagnostics; print NOWHERE "nothing "; print STDERR " This message should be unadorned. "; warn " This is a user warning"; print " DIAGNOSTIC TESTER: Please enter a <CR> here: "; my $a, $b = scalar <STDIN>; print " "; print $x/$y; If you prefer to run your program first and look at its problem afterwards, do this: perl -w test.pl 2>test.out ./splain < test.out Note that this is not in general possible in shells of more dubious heritage, as the theoretical (perl -w test.pl >/dev/tty) >& test.out ./splain < test.out Because you just moved the existing stdout to somewhere else. If you don't want to modify your source code, but still have on-the-fly warnings, do this: exec 3>&1; perl -w test.pl 2>&1 1>&3 3>&- | splain 1>&2 3>&- Nifty, eh? If you want to control warnings on the fly, do something like this. Make sure you do the "use" first, or you won't be able to get at the enable() or disable() methods. use diagnostics; # checks entire compilation phase print " time for 1st bogus diags: SQUAWKINGS "; print BOGUS1 'nada'; print "done with 1st bogus "; disable diagnostics; # only turns off runtime warnings print " time for 2nd bogus: (squelched) "; print BOGUS2 'nada'; print "done with 2nd bogus "; enable diagnostics; # turns back on runtime warnings print " time for 3rd bogus: SQUAWKINGS "; print BOGUS3 'nada'; print "done with 3rd bogus "; disable diagnostics; print " time for 4th bogus: (squelched) "; print BOGUS4 'nada'; print "done with 4th bogus "; INTERNALS
Diagnostic messages derive from the perldiag.pod file when available at runtime. Otherwise, they may be embedded in the file itself when the splain package is built. See the Makefile for details. If an extant $SIG{__WARN__} handler is discovered, it will continue to be honored, but only after the diagnostics::splainthis() function (the module's $SIG{__WARN__} interceptor) has had its way with your warnings. There is a $diagnostics::DEBUG variable you may set if you're desperately curious what sorts of things are being intercepted. BEGIN { $diagnostics::DEBUG = 1 } BUGS
Not being able to say "no diagnostics" is annoying, but may not be insurmountable. The "-pretty" directive is called too late to affect matters. You have to do this instead, and before you load the module. BEGIN { $diagnostics::PRETTY = 1 } I could start up faster by delaying compilation until it should be needed, but this gets a "panic: top_level" when using the pragma form in Perl 5.001e. While it's true that this documentation is somewhat subserious, if you use a program named splain, you should expect a bit of whimsy. AUTHOR
Tom Christiansen <tchrist@mox.perl.com>, 25 June 1995. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 diagnostics(3pm)