Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Taking largest (negative) number from column of coordinates and adding positive form to every other Post 302561899 by crunchgargoyle on Wednesday 5th of October 2011 01:19:12 PM
Old 10-05-2011
I apologise for the confusion: I treated the four rows independently.

What I want to do is take the largest negative numbers of columns 6-8, make them positive, and add that positive number to every single number in their respective columns.

---------- Post updated at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
nawk -f crunch.awk myFile
crunch.awk:
Code:
BEGIN{OFS="\t"; ARGV[ARGC++] = ARGV[1] }
function abs(i) {return (i<0)?-i:i}

FNR==NR{
  for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)
    if ($i<0)
      m[i]=($i<m[i])?$i:m[i]
  next
}
{
  for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)
    if ($i<0)
     $i+=abs(m[i])
  print
}

Thank you very much vgersh99 - that's doing almost exactly what I want. The only tiny thing is that even when numbers are positive in the column, I need them to have the largest negative number added to them if a negative number exists in that column.

I must apologise for these repeated requests and for not explaining myself clearly in the first instance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in adding positive & negative values in a column

Hi Gurus, In my file I have an amount field from position 74 to 87, which contains values starting with '+' as well as '-'. I want to add all positive values in a varible called "CREDIT" and all negative values in a variable "DEBIT". I know, we can use grep to identify values with positive and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
4 Replies

2. Programming

Adding 2 difft int to form a number

got 1 problem.. can someone help me wit the logic? Money Money ::operator+(const Money &rhs)const { Money temp; temp.a = a+rhs.a; temp.b = b+rhs.b; return temp; }//end i got 2 number e.g 6.2 and 3.8 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xiaojesus
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl output with negative and positive numbers

Hello, For my weather station I have made a little perl script to put the data into cacti. The next problem I have. I can only get positive numbers or negative numbers. What do I do: Though a shell scrip I call the perl script. Shell script: #!/bin/sh cat data.txt | stats.pl Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbl-blacklight
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the most positive and negative value and defining its position

Hi, I have a file that looks like this: Jake 2 3 4 6 4 3 -2 -1 Jerry 1 2 3 2 1 7 -6 -1 Timmy -1 -4 -5 -8 9 3 1 I want to find the most positive and negative value for each row and also define its position (based on column #) So the output would look... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gisele_l
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting positive and negative values

Hello, I have a list like this : 1 2 -4 0 -3 -7 5 6 etc. Is there a way to remove all the positive values and print only the negative values, without using grep, sed or awk? Thanks, Prasanna (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of both positive and negative numbers

Let, I have three numbers +00123.25 -00256.54 +00489.23 I need to sum up all those three numbers, after storing them in three variables (say var1, var2, var3). I used both expr and BC, but they didn't work for me. But, I am not able to sum up them, as I don't have any idea how to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on positive and negative numbers

Dear All, I have to split a tab delimited file in two files based on the presence of a positive or negative in column number 9 , for example file: A 1 5 erg + 6766 0.9889 0.9817 9.01882 erg inside upstream B 1 8 erg2 + 6766 0.9889 0.9817 -9.22 erg2 inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print smallest negative number with corresponding index from a column

considering the following table: ID col1 col2 col3 col4 1 -16.06801249 13.49785832 -56.57087607 -27.00500526 2 -1.53315720 0.71731735 -42.03602078 -39.78554623 3 -1.53315190 0.71731587 -42.03601548 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Birda
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Converting negative number to positive in a file

Hi ALL, I am having semi column separated file as below. I am having negative values for the records starting with 11095. How can I convert that positive number I tried this below seems not working sed 's/ \(*\)$/ -\1/;t;s/\(.*\)-/\1/ myfile myfile... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on negative and positive numbers

I have a file that is pipe delimited and in Column F they have number values, both positive and negative. I need to take the one file I am starting with and split it into two separate files based on negative and positive numbers. What is the command to do so? And then I need to also transfer... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cckaiser15
4 Replies
NEXTUP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 NEXTUP(3)

NAME
nextup, nextupf, nextupl, nextdown, nextdownf, nextdownl - return next floating-point number toward positive/negative infinity SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <math.h> double nextup(double x); float nextupf(float x); long double nextupl(long double x); double nextdown(double x); float nextdownf(float x); long double nextdownl(long double x); Link with -lm. DESCRIPTION
The nextup(), nextupf(), and nextupl() functions return the next representable floating-point number greater than x. If x is the smallest representable negative number in the corresponding type, these functions return -0. If x is 0, the returned value is the smallest representable positive number of the corresponding type. If x is positive infinity, the returned value is positive infinity. If x is negative infinity, the returned value is the largest repre- sentable finite negative number of the corresponding type. If x is Nan, the returned value is NaN. The value returned by nextdown(x) is -nextup(-x), and similarly for the other types. RETURN VALUE
See DESCRIPTION. VERSIONS
These functions first appeared in glibc in version 2.24. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +-------------------------------------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +-------------------------------------+---------------+---------+ |nextup(), nextupf(), nextupl(), | Thread safety | MT-Safe | |nextdown(), nextdownf(), nextdownl() | | | +-------------------------------------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
These functions are described in IEEE Std 754-2008 - Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic and ISO/IEC TS 18661. SEE ALSO
nearbyint(3), nextafter(3) GNU
2017-09-15 NEXTUP(3)